Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control-Arm Spreader- different location, and ears keep spreading with time; this is weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle / Front Suspension: Control-Arm Spreader- different location, and ears keep spreading with time; this is weird

Follow-up to last night's post on the Control Arm spreader woes.
    Last night I had mounted the spreader in the Shop Manual's photo position (in the "U-shape" cutout in the upper control arm). As I noted, the dimensions (after setting it to 0.015" over) were getting SMALLER down at the actual Bushing receivers (welded inside control arm). I kept going after multiple attempts to correct, and after torquing, had one VERY stiff king-pin.

OK, so I decided the "U-shape" stamped metal must either be continuing to bend/distort (making the opposite side where I was measuring get SMALLER), OR, the poor fit of the repro Spreader tool was causing it to move/settle with the pressure; SOMETHING was wrong.

OK, so today I modified the spreader by grinding off enough of the INSIDE "legs" so the would clear the kingpin if I used it right at the pin Bushing receivers (see photo). I carefully marked a location (blue tape and Sharpie) where I got good repeatability with my Vernier Caliper, and cranked it up, measured (had about 0.010), cranked a little bit more (still had only 0.010 !), cranked it some more, etc until I got to 0.015" over my initial reading at 'zero'. Figured maybe here too the tool had some slop taken up by the initial "pressure".

OK, screwed in the Bushings, and tightened them only to "as tight as I could with socket long-bar"; I checked the gap "just to make sure" before really cranking down to final torque. The gap was now about 0.050" greater than than where I had set it! Disgusted and not knowing what else to do with it, I loosened up the Bushings, re-measured, and the gap was still pretty much the same (about 0.050" + 0.015" more than the initial position). I removed the spreader, and the ears came back to close to the initial reading. So all I can figure is that the spreader is continuing to "spread" that slot in the control arm, even after you stop turning the screw. Or when I torque down the Bushings, it spreads the ears, but this was 'expected' and ignored, as the shop manual never has you check with a vernier, only SET the initial spread to 0.015" over.

So, do any of you use a Vernier? And check the control arm gap AGAIN, after torquing? (do your numbers change too?).

Maybe that is why they used a caliper-only (non-Vernier) and ONLY used it once, right after spreading?

Honestly, the gap seemed to CLOSE as I was spreading it (with bushings loose), and I probably spread it too wide initially, with the moving target (if you have 0.010 gap, turn the nut on the spreader and still have 0.010, something is moving; and I got GOOD measurements this time, very repeatable spot). And from that "supposed 0.015" over, it then got MUCH wider when I had tightened the Bushings. Pressure against the pin threads? Again, a Stude tech would never have watched or measured these things. So again, have any of you used a vernier caliper, and/or rechecked gaps when torqued but spreader still in place?

Sure seems the better position (more solid and positive) is what I did below, unless Studebaker INTENDED for those ears to move in (narrower gap) like I had last night.
    If no-one has any better ideas, all I can think of is repeating what I have below, quickly spreading the gap to 0.015 and "not watching the vernier" or checking it anymore , just going with it as if it were the plain "hoop caliper" used in the Shop Manual.
    Sorry to drag this out, I don't understand why things are moving around for me, with all NOS parts (arms, pins and Bushings). Bushings thread in nicely as threads are well-cut by now, so the NOS arms no longer are 'unthreaded" :-).

thanks!!!
    Barry, walking away to fight another dayClick image for larger version

Name:	Spreader 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1755770

Hi Barry. I would not be overly perplexed by these events- the main thing is that-
    1. The spreader was indeed fitted and extended,
    2. Bushes were driven home
    3. Pins were engaged in threaded bushes whilst in the 'Spread' condition
    4. The assemble does in fact have a full range of movement with firmness.
    I'd say that is job done !
    Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,
      thanks (for PMs as well).
      The "firmness" in the original (Friday night's) installation was just too much; I could barely rotate the king-pin; there is firm and there is "really have to push to move". Wasn't right.

And at least with the first attempts, using the spreader tool "in the U-shape area", the tool fits so poorly (sorry tool-maker, but those little notches don't fit anything in the Upper Control arm on my '57, and probably WERE the cause of my initial measurement variability, as the spreader's sharp notched area "bit in" to the control arm in a very narrow area; the notches do NOT "fit around" anything.)

If you look at "Saturday's retry", in the photo above, I'm actually spreading the solid, welded-in "rings" the bushings thread in to. So, no "bending" of the U-shape area, or creeping of the spreader. What baffles me is the continuing spreading of the control arm gap, even at this very strong position; seems the gap keeps getting wider, so the final "width" you set your +0.015" to depends on how long it takes you to measure after spreading the "spreader" tool. Thus I really wonder for those who have used vernier calipers, where have they measured, where have they placed the spreader, and has anyone else observed this "creeping" with time (over several seconds, not several minutes). The BIG change as I torqued the bushings, I can believe "always happens" and is simply ignored in the Manual (and not mentioned by others here) because no-one is measuring it like I did (once warned, twice wary; I want to understand when and why the control arm dimensions are changing). If no one replies who HAS used a vernier, I guess I'll go back to my "firm mounting" position shown above, quickly move it from the initial "zero" point to +0.015 (or 0.020) as quickly as I can, and stop bothering to measure anymore. And see what THAT ends up like; as long as I end up with a freely moving kingpin in the end, I'm happy.

Comment

As I will have to do this myself in a close future, all your reports are very welcomed and I do thank you for sharing your progresses. I would have done it the same way, by taking intermediate measures to see what was moving or not. What bothers me about this spreader tool business is that other US cars manufacturers had the same front end design at one moment or another. As far as I know, Studebaker is the only one to use this kind of tool and I don't understand why, unless they used tighter tolerances.
        Like many other things, I wonder how they dealt with this on the assembly line. I suspect they were far less cautious.
        Best of luck with your rebuilt.
        Nice day to all.
        sigpic

Comment

Barry. Consider, for a moment, the matter of fitting the Bushes to the 'Ears' if the Control Arm, and then consider the fact that the 'Pin' needs to thread onto both Bushes. Irrespective of the spreader being placed in there, those threads must eventually 'Start' in both bushes. One side of the Pin will start, but the other side must coincide (or 'Register' as engineering trades might put it) with the start in the other Bush before the threads can actually take-up. If you think about it, the free side may partially jack itself apart a tad until register occurrs and then there will likely be a slight closing of the ears of the Control Arms to allow this to happen. Sorry if this sound s confusing, but if you think about it it will become sensible. Getting back to my last post to you, I believe you are done- really. If you measure the pitch of the Pins threads you realise that you cannot alter the starts of the threads in relation to those of the bushes unless you screw the bushes further in or out., which will move the ears in or out also. I truly believe the spreader ensures the 'Ears' don't collapse inward and, preferably, kept slightly apart. There will obviously be a drag on the threads due to the axial forces induced by stretching those 'Ears'. It may well appear very tight (I know mine were, but I didn't feel it was excessive as yours are supposedly feeling). In the scheme of things,your car will exert a huge load on the front end- far more than our arms and shoulders will feel. I say, grease it well and often, start assembling that suspension. and let it work. Just for the sake of it, I have posted a pic of the spreader tool I made at work when things were slow,waaaay back in 1986. Works fine.
          Steve
          Click image for larger version

Name:	1a Home made Spreader Tool for outer ends of Control Arms.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1716577

Comment

Post #2 in this thread shows my considerably more ugly (compared to Steve's) homemade spreader tool.

My recollection is that the 0.015" spreading spec is 1/2 of the thread pitch of the pin to bushing threads. The idea being that if the bushings thread into the arms pressing against the pins threads that the arms are pulled 1/2 of the pitch so that when relaxed they end up with the bushings not "torqued" or pre-loaded against the pins threads and they are mostly un-stressed in the thread interface.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
              Post #2 in this thread shows my considerably more ugly (compared to Steve's) homemade spreader tool.

My recollection is that the 0.015" spreading spec is 1/2 of the thread pitch of the pin to bushing threads. The idea being that if the bushings thread into the arms pressing against the pins threads that the arms are pulled 1/2 of the pitch so that when relaxed they end up with the bushings not "torqued" or pre-loaded against the pins threads and they are mostly un-stressed in the thread interface.
              You are correct.
              The spreader is only used to center the threads.
              When you screw in the bushings ,you will pull with the threads and the threads will be off to one side.
              When you release the spreader the bushing will move in and center the shaft thread within the bushing thread.
              The reason is to allow grease to penetrate on both sides of the thread when you grease the car.
              The threads on the outside of the bushings are messed up already on a used "A" arm and will not pull the bushing in.
              On all new "A" arms and new bushings , maybe , but I always regard the spreader tool as an afterthought to use in service only.
              I doubt that it was used at the factory on the assembly line.
              The threads on the outside of the bushing would have been designed to center the threads.
              I never take that part of the "A": arms apart unless there is a lot of slop.
              If the king pin is not worn and can be reused , leave it on the "A' arm and just replace the king pin bushings , trust bearing and the seal on the bottom of the kingpin. It is up to you to use the cork seal or replace it with the proper size "O" ring.
              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Thanks Steve, Jeff & Robert; just read this (just heading out to try again :-). I think both photos of YOUR homemade tools prove one of my theories; the 'reproduction' tool I have I simply NOT stable enough (or 'beefy' enough) to hold those ears apart without "something" slipping, moving, sliding, compressing.... Your tools are going to move it 0.015 and KEEP it there.
                Since mine is now 'modified' to allow the FULL WIDTH of the speader into the U-channel (upper arms), I think I'll try again in that position, be faster in my "adjustment" to +.015" and just keep working with it until I have a reasonable "final product"; a king-pin that moves "freely or at least with reasonable effort". (I understand Steve, not expecting it to swing in the breeze; but mine was almost locked up.... NOT right). Thanks again for all the input, it all helps give perspective and context, knowing where to be anal, and where there is room for "don't sweat it". Hard to know when you are doing things 'the first time', which for me on a Stude, is EVERYTHING that is unique to a '50s car in general. :-)
                Hopefully, if I can get my 'legs back", my '53 Buick Super V8 convertible (I grew up with and bought from dad!), will be much easier and more familiar. THough I must say, from what I've done on that car over the years, GM and Studebaker have some very different ways of doing things in the 50's.... Love 'em both! Wish me luck, out I go. (and thanks again! Photos are so helpful)
                Barry

Comment

This is the spreader I made a while back. It is 1" square bar. I should have been 5/8" but being stronger is not a bad thing. It had to have the notches/half rounds, ground in to the arms to fit in between the A-Arm. It does make the job easier.

Len
                  Attached Files

Comment

All that supposed theory sounds good and seems to be how the Outer Pin and Bushing SHOULD be, but I think we are forgetting something here.

To get ANY (-) Front End Caster Alignment adjustment you will need to totally mess up this grease-able centered "Fit" when you adjust the King Pin ALL THE WAY Back against the "A" Arm, to get even CLOSE to -2 1/2 Degrees Caster!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      All that supposed theory sounds good and seems to be how the Outer Pin and Bushing SHOULD be, but I think we are forgetting something here.

To get ANY (-) Front End Caster Alignment adjustment you will need to totally mess up this grease-able centered "Fit" when you adjust the King Pin ALL THE WAY Back against the "A" Arm, to get even CLOSE to -2 1/2 Degrees Caster!
                      You lost me there Rich; what 'theory' are you referencing? And, following the manual is NOT best procedure here? (and once set, turning the pin will move everything together as needed for adjusting Caster, won't it? I'm missing something....

By the way, anyone still following my mis-adventures, my "NOS upper control arms" from the SI basements, stripped out (one, at least), the 2nd time I torqued it. First time was something just over 150 ft-lbs (max of my torque wrench). That was when "too tight" and I undid the assembly, modified my spreader and tried again. (Yes, I re-threaded carefully in same 'newly cut threads"; Yes, I had bushings loose when I spread ears). Problem? Only thing I can think is that these "NOS" arms were obviously finished from left over UNFINISHED control arms; the bushing "receiver" rings are
                      a) sloppily welded, in two or three spots with heavy weld. Have about 0.070 clearance in once spot between ring and arm;
                      b) NOT the same "ring" as original; originals have four big deep 'dimples' in them, and are welded evenly around them to the arm; no gaps
                      So, considering I don't think I ever got to 170 ftlbs EVEN THE FIRST time, and it stripped to where I can turn it with just the socket wrench after partial tightening (no where near full torque) in trying to get a decent "spreader" reading.... I wonder if the "finishing off extra parts" effort used a lesser-grade steel for the bushing receiver (round ring). I DID notice they were different when I got them, but figured coming from the Factory basement, maybe just a later version (my originals are '57...).
                      SO, waiting to see if Phil Harris re-does control arms, including bushings, as I used my friend from Oregon's ORIGINAL Studebaker bushing tool kit to do all of mine two years ago, (brought it home from vacation visiting him; $50 to ship back!). And, don't want to buy a tool for one control arm. Also, adding insult to injury, found that after doing the 2nd upper arm, and SUCCESSFULLY (decent resistance, not too tight!), the NOS (Studebaker boxes!) bushings are DIFFERENT, longer shoulder, therefore about 1/8" gap between seals and the kingpin. Sigh. BOTH sets of NOS bushings were different than the ORIGINAL bushings (see photos, bushings and gap between seal, and gap between welded ring and control arm. This front suspension is cursed. Walked away, to fight another day.....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Barry- That gap between the ear of the Arm and the welded 'Ring' is worrisome. Are you likely to run another weld there to help strengthen it? How is it that you were supplied different bushes? If the 'longer' bushes cut down your Caster adjustment, maybe consider grinding a tad off the open end. I am wary of the 170 ft/lb torque. This might be necessary to deform the threads into new bored but once that helix is created far less torque would be needed in a subsequent fitment. As I stated in an earlier post, all I needed to do to loosen my old ones was to whack the end of a breaker bar with a big rubber mallet and the same for tightening.
                        Steve

Comment

Those bushings look a little different from the ones I got from N&A around 1998 or so. And THOSE looked different from the original '53 bushings from my car. I don't remember the threads having any flats on them or those notches in the corners of the hex where the socket goes.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Barry- I PM'd you in reply from last week
                            Steve

Comment

Where did I get them?( bushings); from good friend, specializes in NOS parts and these WERE in identical Studebaker boxes; dome dealership got them mixed up at some point, I’m not blaming him....

Well, Phil is looking for a guy to redo/replace my upper arm, and I’m moving that set of bushings over to the “ good arm” and try afresh. And will look for another set of NOS bushings ( my original sets were shot!!!). Wish me luck! Slowly but surely.
                              Oh Steve, yes, going to add some weld on the big front gap on this one..... sloppy work by someone; sad.

Comment

Working...
                              X