PDA

View Full Version : is it still a barn find

lark63
09-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Went to our old farm shed and there still sat my 1963 lark ,R2 4spd...got it rolling again ,its time in the shop is getting closer, but not yet. Life does get in the way, But i still get as excited as i did the first time i found it in Princeville Il, almost 20 years ago. So is it still a barn find?

lark63
09-23-2017, 03:30 PM
trying pictures

lark63
09-23-2017, 03:32 PM
first timer for pics !

r1lark
09-23-2017, 03:49 PM
Very neat, thanks for posting!

Is this a very early '63 car? I noticed that the Avanti-powered badge is mounted forward and higher on the fender, similar to some real early R-powered '63s.

Halibrand1
09-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Bruce it's good to hear you are plans on getting to it are closer . Did you know Craig Parslow is doing JT News via e-mail ? I am sure he would be happy to bring you up do date and that may help motivate like it does me . He could also use some new material so pics like this and a little story would be welcome . Ed

2R2
09-23-2017, 05:09 PM
Thanks for sharing, I love those JT F-bodies! As Ed stated, a story about your car would be a great feature in Jet Thrust News.

StudeRich
09-23-2017, 05:27 PM
Yep looks like a '63 Lark Regal 2 Door Sedan, with an Owner or Dealer installed R2 Nameplate(s) in the wrong location, but it sure does NOT devalue the fact that it probably IS an original Factory equipped Avanti JTS Powered Lark. :!:

I don't think it changes anything, that you already KNEW it was in the Barn, still a "Barn Find"!

r1lark
09-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Yep looks like a '63 Lark Regal 2 Door Sedan, with an Owner or Dealer installed R2 Nameplate(s) in the wrong location,

Rich, there was at least one other '63 R2 that had the Avanti-powered badges in this location, now owned by Jon Myer:

lark63
09-23-2017, 07:30 PM
It is the real deal, i have the vin somewhere, it was listed in the JT news years ago and , yes, i am getting the new issues. ! Really enjoying the stoy"s on the Chicago show, Great job to Ed and crew !

StudeRich
09-23-2017, 07:49 PM
I knew the Car almost before Jon did, since my Wife and I recruited Jon & Betty into the Club and the orange Empire Chapter, and just like all the rest of the early Cars it came with None, and also at the time had the wrong seats!

sals54
09-24-2017, 12:16 AM
WOW... I'm soooooo jealous. That is one of my all time favorite Studes. 63 2 dr sedan R2 4 speed.... WOW, I can't get over just how awesome that is. I can't wait to see the smoky burnouts it'll do.

lumpy
09-25-2017, 09:43 PM
That car is begging to come back to life and be run down a track ! Would be a blast to see it smoke some youngsters in there ricers :lol:

skyway
09-26-2017, 12:37 PM
...and a nice dash pad to boot!

jpepper
09-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Be sure to let George Krem know of this car for his "F" body JTS registry. What is the serial # of it?

R3 challenger
09-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Be sure to let George Krem know of this car for his "F" body JTS registry. What is the serial # of it?

Thanks, Jim; it's already on the list, but I'll wait for Bruce to reveal the serial number.

At this point, the number of surviving F-body (2-door sedan) R2-powered 1963 Larks that we know about is 30. That number could vary by one or two, depending on whether or not you count incomplete cars (For example, one person has only a serial number plate). Many have their original engines, but some do not. We know of one that was parted out many years ago; the owner still has the engine block, but that's all. Some are not in running condition.

So a supercharged '63 F-body Lark in running condition is a pretty rare animal.

George

lark63
09-28-2017, 11:06 AM
George, feel free to reveal the vin, In our move my paperwork is somewhere yet to be refound ! mine does still have the original engine, came from Colorado in the early 1970's. Still would like to find who sold it back then , always assumed, that it was bought through TW, but never could find an ad

rkapteyn
09-28-2017, 11:25 AM
I have an original 1963 4dr R1 cruiser in sad shape that is a factory Super Lark.
I deserved saving.
I have a factory R1 engine from a R1 Hawk and would like to find someone to rescue it and restore the Lark.
I do not want to sell it to a hoarder (like me).
I will sell it cheap to someone that is capable .
$1000.00 for car and engine (needs digging out) before winter comes.
Robert Kapteyn
815 212 2389 for text.
studebaker@mac.com

R3 challenger
09-28-2017, 01:33 PM
George, feel free to reveal the vin, In our move my paperwork is somewhere yet to be refound ! mine does still have the original engine, came from Colorado in the early 1970's. Still would like to find who sold it back then , always assumed, that it was bought through TW, but never could find an ad

Thanks, Bruce. The serial number of Bruce's '63 R2 F-body Lark is 63V-15338. It was originally made as follows: Regal Red, Red Cloth individual front seats, Lark Regal trim level, R2 engine, 4-speed, Twin Traction, engine No. JTS-1399, disc brakes, HD springs, 6.70 Firestone 500 nylon whitewalls, undercoating, Climatizer, front bumper guards, manual radio, SOLD RUSH. The car went to Denver, CO, and is nearly identical to my '63 R2 Lark, 63V-4763. In fact, I suspect both cars were ordered and sold by the same dealer. The only difference is that mine came with tinted windshield--otherwise, the option lists look identical. Interesting. Both cars were built before the introduction of the High Performance Package, but they have most of the items in the package. I call mine the Tomato Junior (<G>), since mine is not fully set up for drag racing like Ted's Tomato. (Still has the original 3.73 axle ratio, for example.)

Hope you get it going, Bruce. My guess is that of the 30 left that we know about, maybe only 15 are in running condition.

George