New Power Hawk owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Power Hawk owner

I am the brand new owner of a 1956 Power Hawk. The car is a driver, and I'm slowly going to restore it while I am enjoying it. So I have a couple of questions. First, it needs both front side windows and a vent window because they got cracked by things falling against it in the previous owners garage. So are there any site vendors that sell individual pieces of glass? Second, are there any parts that are unique to this year and model that I should be looking for? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Welcome to the SDC forum. Your Power Hawk is one of the best-looking, best driving Studes ever built.

The good news is the glass is available. Installation is a bit more involved than it might seem at first look, but definitely within a patient owner's ability.

As to parts, there are minor differences to be determined but your Power Hawk shares most all the drivetrain and suspension parts with all '53-66 Studes, the engine parts with most all '55-64 V8s, and body and glass parts with '53-61 coupes and many with hardtops.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

To recommend which Parts to hoard while they are available, we would have to know which ones your Car needs.

It is a pretty late after 53 Years for New sheet Metal, and none will likely ever be available except the C & K Model Rear Quarter Panels (Fenders) that currently ARE available for a limited time.

Many NOS Parts are still available in South Bend, IN since Studebaker never scrapped or sold off all of the Post War Parts as other makes did.

Most are here:

StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If I understand correctly, you need door glass and door vent window glass. Both of these pieces are flat. I would suggest removing the glass and the metal frame it sits in from the car. Take it to your local glass shop and have them cut and install new glass in the frames. Then you can re-install the frames with new glass in the car. If yours are not in good shape (most aren't), you probably want to install new cat whiskers in the door while you are putting in the new glass. Don't want some exposed metal scratching that pretty new glass.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

Originally posted by jeryst View Post
          I am the brand new owner of a 1956 Power Hawk. The car is a driver, and I'm slowly going to restore it while I am enjoying it. So I have a couple of questions. First, it needs both front side windows and a vent window because they got cracked by things falling against it in the previous owners garage. So are there any site vendors that sell individual pieces of glass? Second, are there any parts that are unique to this year and model that I should be looking for? Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

As an owner of a Power Hawk for fifty-two years the only unique difference is that I can readily identify is is the side trim and the Power Hawk script on the trunk. Every thing is common to the other '56 Hawks with some exceptions to the Golden. Basically, it is of the Commander trim level and a basic car. If your car is a numbers matching example, you might want to consider keeping it original and if not a lot of stuff from the Sky Hawk can be substituted…

Comment

I'm not looking to hoard anything. I just thought that if I knew which parts are unique, I could check the condition of mine, and if needed, could keep an eye out when I'm at swap meets.

Comment

The hood is a one year only item as is the trunk lid. The Power Hawk trunk lid has the release assembly mounted higher on the kid then other Hawks. The hood bulge is smaller then other Hawks. I am working on an all original 56 Power Hawk and these are the things that were pointed out to me. The one I am building for someone else is slated to become a Bonneville Land Speed race car.

Comment

Thanks for the info on the trunk and hood. Luckily, mine are in excellent shape. I dont believe this is a numbers matching car since the motor has 289 Sweepstake stickers on the valve covers and I believe these only came with the 259. Someone please correct me on that if I am incorrect. The car has been sitting in a garage since the 90's, and although it runs fine, it has absolutely no brakes, so that is my first project. After that, the exhaust.

Comment

Standard engine was the 259. So it probably has had an engine change.

Comment

What you need to do is check the ENGINE Number, STAMPED INTO the Top, driver's side front Corner of the Block.

A "P" (President) prefix will indicate a 289, and a "V" indicates a 259 Commander Engine.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                      Standard engine was the 259. So it probably has had an engine change.
                      Incorrect stickers on valve covers, should definitely require further investigation. Valve cover decals themselves do not determine displacement. Incorrect decals are easily added to any valve covers. Valve covers from one Studebaker V8 are easily installed on another. The engine number stamped into a flat machined pad on the drivers side at the front of the engine block, will identify the original displacement and year of production for the engine. What is the number on the engine in this car? Engine numbers, however, do not determine displacement either. It's possible that someone installed a 289" crank and pistons in your Power Hawks original 259" block and 289" decals on the valve covers as well! The engine number will tell you, what the engine currently in your car originally was!

Mark
                      Last edited by S2Deluxe; 09-27-2017, 09:48 AM.
                      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                        Incorrect stickers on valve covers, should definitely require further investigation. Valve cover decals themselves do not determine displacement. Incorrect decals are easily added to any valve covers. Valve covers from one Studebaker V8 are easily installed on another. The engine number stamped into a flat machined pad on the drivers side at the front of the engine block, will identify the original displacement and year of production for the engine. What is the number on the engine in this car? Engine numbers, however, do not determine displacement either. It's possible that someone installed a 289" crank and pistons in your Power Hawks original 259" block and 289" decals on the valve covers as well! The engine number will tell you, what the engine in your car originally was!

Mark
                        Agree, Mark. Sometimes all is as it seems; OP may have a Sweepstakes 289" transplant. Or as you say, some combination of parts thereof. The worst I've ever seen is buying a 289", confirming dished pistons and then finding them hung on a 259" crankshaft; the horror!

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

The car has been sitting in a garage since the 90's, and although it runs fine, it has absolutely no brakes, so that is my first project. After that, the exhaust.
                          This definitely sounds like you've got the right idea. Do what's needed to make it so you can enjoy driving it and do just that! In the interior the door panels with the molded in arm rests are also unique and used only in '56 Flight Hawks and Power Hawks! What kind of shape are they in?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          What you need to do is check the ENGINE Number, STAMPED INTO the Top, driver's side front Corner of the Block.

A "P" (President) prefix will indicate a 289, and a "V" indicates a 259 Commander Engine.
                          The "P" (President) prefix was also used on '55 President engines that were 259"s! It's extremely unlikely that anyone would have replaced your Power Hawks engine with one of these. Especially one with 289" Sweepstakes stickers on the valve covers! Still, the possibility does exist.

Mark
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I found a large number on the front passenger side under the oil filter canister, but I cant find an letter anywhere.

Comment

I found a large number on the front passenger side under the oil filter canister, but I cant find an letter anywhere.
                              That's a casting number. The engine number is smaller and stamped into the block on the opposite side of the oil fill tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X