PDA

View Full Version : Chopped 51 on eBay

52-fan
09-23-2017, 09:39 AM
I would never do this to a car of mine because I like ti drive more than a few blocks, but the builder got this chop right. It even has glass! :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Studebaker-Champion-/263223629267?hash=item3d4959d5d3:g:HIQAAOSwZapZxWp6&vxp=mtr

jclary
09-23-2017, 10:04 AM
I can never view these kind of vehicles for sale on the basis of the "sales pitch" alone. Cosmetically, I see some great "fun" potential. But, I can't help but think someone has gone through a lot of work, time, and expense...only to "sell it off." What's the real reason? What short-cut was taken that turned this "dream" project into a nightmare? Is it the vehicle, lost job, illness, divorce?

Somewhere, lurks, "the real reason." If it is not the car itself, and the mechanics are OK, this could be the base for a heck of a lot of fun, as a project for anyone who's into customs, and has talent. Even then...not at this price. But, it does have potential, for anyone with a vision, time, talent, and money.

tsenecal
09-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Yes , I wonder about that myself. There are always half done projects for sale. I think a lot of times for the reasons you listed. This guy had done most of the hard part of the build, (drivetrain and body). It seems like a large asking price, but the car could be finished up for the price of paint and upholstery, and be great fun to drive. For me personally, I would rather own, and drive, something like this, than a $50,000 sports car.

thunderations
09-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Having owned a restoration shop for a number of years and working in several before that, I've seen a lot of projects started and never finished. Often the talent the person has is depleted. They can chop a top for the time involved, but have no idea how to finish the car, nor can they afford to hire someone to complete it. This chop looks good and all glass, except for the windshield looks to be done correctly. A one piece windshield could be trimmed down to fit and look much nicer, unless that is where the chop went bad or the builder didn't want to spend the money to have a windshield cut to fit. Everyone has a talent or ability, but not many can do it all.

52-fan
09-23-2017, 12:09 PM
I agree with all of these statements. I cringe when some random person at a cruise or show tells me he is going to chop his car. So many good vehicles end up in pieces rotting behind some shop or sit half finished in a dusty corner.
The two piece windshield was probably cheaper, but could also be the result of the car not having a windshield and the glass shop assuming it should be two piece. A fellow here bought a late C cab pickup that was titled as a 49 model. The glass shop cobbled a two piece windshield into the opening even though it looks sad up close. :(

T.J. lavallee
09-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Somehow to me this body style does not lend itself to the chopped roof look the builder had executed. The back lines look too bulbous to my eye to create a flowing sense of integrity. Putting a new hair style on the Mona Lisa seems a futile effort. Sometimes it not possible to improve on perfection.

swvalcon
09-23-2017, 08:11 PM
I agree with T.J the top chop doesn't fit the body. To get it right you would have to channel and section the body and now you have a real head room problem even with flat seats and a dropped floor.

52-fan
09-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Somehow to me this body style does not lend itself to the chopped roof look the builder had executed. The back lines look too bulbous to my eye to create a flowing sense of integrity. Putting a new hair style on the Mona Lisa seems a futile effort. Sometimes it not possible to improve on perfection.

I tend to agree. The chop does make the body look heavier. This type of modification would look best combined with a lakes racer style. I have yet to one of these modified so I would want to do it and drive it on the streets.