PDA

View Full Version : Body: Figuring out locks on 59 Lark

creegster
09-22-2017, 12:18 AM
Im trying to get my locks figured out on my 59 lark 2dr HT.

1) Door Key
2) Ignition Key
3) Trunk Key
4) Glove Box Key

Its a mess right now:
1) I dont have any door lock keys, they were missing when I bought it.
2) Ignition uses a non-Stude key (its a non-stude ignition installed by PO)
3) The trunk opens using a blank, uncut trunk key
4) Missing Glove box key
What can I consolidate? Can doors, trunk and glove box all operate off the same key if I get the right parts? :confused:

Thanks in advance

StudeRich
09-22-2017, 12:48 AM
One Key fits all is not possible since there are TWO Types of Locks used on a Studebakers.
The Ignition and Doors have a 5 Tumbler Lock and the Trunk and Glovebox use a 4 Tumbler Lock.

This means you will have a Long key with 5 "Cuts" for Door & Ignition and another shorter Key with 4 "Cuts" for Trunk and Glovebox.

You purchase the 2 Sets of Locks and Keys and install them to do it right and will have only 2 Keys and all working Locks.

You can use either of the 2 Brands of Locks used by Studebaker in your '59 Lark, the Yale and Hurd Locks interchange if you do not mix them.
Originally, 6's got Yale and 8's got Hurd, up to 1959 after which all went to Yale.

You will also need a New Ignition Switch, Bezel, Spring and on a Regal with a Switch Light, a translucent plastic Ring.
These are required to fit the Lock.

http://studebakervendors.com

BILT4ME
09-22-2017, 07:04 PM
StudeRich is absolutely correct.

You may consider finding a 59 parts car that has keys or at least a "matching set" of door locks, then having a locksmith make keys to match. You can snag door locks and ignition from any 2 door or 4 door, but the hardtops all have the Regal (chrome plated) ignition ring.

creegster
09-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Thanks guys-
I think the best course of action is to get the door locks I have keyed (so I can at least lock the doors!).

Then I can work on getting the correct ignition installed and keyed at a later time.

Warren Webb
09-25-2017, 02:38 PM
StudeRich is absolutely correct. door locks and ignition from any 2 door or 4 door, but the hardtops all have the Regal (chrome plated) ignition ring.

Door lock cylinders have different lengths between the 2 & 4 door cars, otherwise the cylinders are the same. I would recommend getting the aluminum ignition retainer (ring) instead of the factory retainer due to the "ears" being weak & break off without any warning. They are also available at most of our vendors.