Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Answered: Why 44% don't have a clue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Answered: Why 44% don't have a clue....

News Item with Widespread Ramifications, excerpted from a longer article by Heather Wilhelm:

A new study suggests today's young people haven’t learned the value of hard work. Last week, an eleven-year-old hero meticulously pushed his way into the national spotlight, intending to inspire America and “show the nation what young people like me are ready for.”

I’m referring, of course, to Frank Giaccio, the budding entrepreneur from Virginia who asked President Trump if he could mow the White House lawn. “I have been mowing my neighbors’ lawns for some time,” he wrote, offering weed-whacking services in addition to a waiver of his usual $8 fee. On Friday, Giaccio got his wish: He showed up, industriously mowed the lawn, wowed the nation with his laser-like focus, and provided some amusing Trump-meets-boy viral video clips in the process.

Alas, not everyone was delighted. Former New York Times labor reporter and apparent occasional wet blanket Steven Greenhouse, for one, was unimpressed. “Not sending a great signal on child labor, minimum wage & occupational safety,” he declared on Twitter. He was being serious.

Laugh if you will, but when it comes to putting kids to work, Greenhouse is not alone. Using surveys of 8.3 million 13- to 19-year olds between 1976 and 2016, a new study published in
    Child Development reports that in addition to significant delays in “adult” activities like driving and dating, only 56 percent of America’s high-school seniors have ever worked for pay.

Hmmmm...Is it any wonder 44% of high school seniors have no clue as to where money comes from?

How many of us can list a half-dozen things we did for pay before being seniors in high school? I'll go first:

1. Mowed grass on two properties not owned by family members.
    2. Had a paper route for at least two years.
    3. Worked in two different gas stations, being entrusted with the keys to lock up one of them, by myself, at the close of business (9PM) at age 15.
    4. Prepared a 1954 Packard Clipper Sportster for repainting by a friend of Dad's. When the car was sold, we split the profit as agreed beforehand.
    5. Bought, advertised, and sold (for a net profit of $13!) one car with my own money. (If you have a November 1961 issue of Hot Rod in your collection, notice the first ad in the middle column of Page 131. I was 15 years old when I placed that ad...and with no assistance from anybody. IIRC, I mailed in cash to pay for it! Imagine that today.)
    6. Painted house trim and cleaned up a lady neighbor's yard.
    7. Bought, fixed up, and sold at least two bicycles.

(Yes, and as a card-carrying CASO, I've likely got that first earned dollar around here somewhere! )

Is it any wonder indeed? You have to feel genuinely sorry, as I do, for high-schoolers who have not learned such rudimentary things by the time they are seniors. If they haven't had at least a basic course in such matters, they'll be on the steepest learning curve imaginable in only a few years. (And if reality gets too close for comfort in college, they'll demand a "safe space" in which to "study.") BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Hey Bob! I need some trim painted over here! I'm sure I can come up with a "few bucks" an hour! I have 4 weeks to get the place "dolled up" before Jenny & Michael get married here! I also have a 64 Daytona that needs a "little" paint prep too! LOL

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Gee Bob, I wish I would have had such opportunities. In addition to three sisters, I had two older brothers. By the time I became a teen, we were so far out into the country, opportunities were few and far between. Being the youngest boy, also had its drawback. For every screw up my older brothers made...I lost more freedom. Except for allowing me to do farm work, they kept a very tight rein on me.

Then, the very Saturday morning after my Friday evening High School graduation, while at breakfast, my Dad looks across the table and announces to me, "Son, you gotta get a job and start paying rent!" That very day, we went shopping for my first car. I got a job the next week. Had to repay dad the money for the down payment on that '55 Buick. Paid my own insurance too. I'm the only one that ever paid my parents rent. Never missed a payment. In fact, after joining the Air Force, any time I called home and had to reverse the long distance charges, I paid them every cent back and then some.

Upon discharge from the Air Force (after returning from Vietnam) I never returned home to live (except for an occasional visit). Some of the others did because of lost jobs, or marital problems. I was the first to go to college and paid every cent of that myself. I have joked that I was the most economical ("cheapest") of the nine kids my folks raised.(another story... they adopted and raised three additional girls after I was grown & gone)

My Dad passed away in 1978. I took Mom (96) some "Fun" food to the nursing home yesterday. She apologized for not being able to pay me. I reassure her by telling her she is my "Favorite Mother," and that I will never be able to re-pay her.

I have no regrets. I do have a few embarrassing memories. I have neither coddled or berated my child or grandchildren. But, tried to live a good example and provide guidance when they pay attention. I do not chase after them. So far...so good. I watched the kid with the President. It is encouraging to see that kind of interaction. I have a feeling there's more out there, plugging away, than we know. At least, I hope (and pray) so.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

But the kid mowed the White House lawn with a Honda lawn mower.... A Honda ...
        Should have been a Gravely...
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'd like to see the data from the 60's and 70's. I'm a product of the 50's, and I'm not sure more than 60% of my high school class had jobs. I went to high school in the AM and worked at the local newspaper in the PM and Saturdays but there were a large number of kids that played sports and other activities that limited job access.

An you kids get the hell of my lawn.

Bob

Comment

Yep. It was a Honda -- but it took a 11 year old american to make it work.
            sigpic
            Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

When I was in high school in the 1950s, I had a bus trip between towns as a commute so that didn't leave a lot of time. I did work a lot on weekends and in the summer. Most jobs in my teen years, I had to walk to. Some jobs that come to mind are; painting with a contractor, working in a body shop, shoveling snow around a couple of neighborhoods, working in an A & P (one of the last without self service) and working in a summer stock theatre.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, let's see...

At age 11, earned spending money mowing neighborhood lawns, using dad's power reel-type mower, while paying for fuel and maintenance costs.

Age 12, moved up to curb hop at the local malt shop, $.50 an hour.

Still 12, got a paper route in the area surrounding our home. Decided the route was not big enough, and requested more area. Was given a section of married student housing on the Oklahoma State University campus. The last time I collected, I netted a $13.00 loss, because all of the students moved away at semester's end, without paying for the papers I had delivered to them.

Started selling "Ice cold POP!" at the OSU football games. Learned that if I kept my back to the game, and focused on selling, I could earn $18.00-$20.00 per game... not bad for a 12 year old in '59! I also learned what arseholes some football fans can be. This lesson was confirmed, when later, in my young adult life, I worked as a police officer on hoot shift, caught a nap, worked point control (intersection traffic) before and after each home game, with sideline duty sandwiched between those assignments, only to report back again for hoot shift that night. 'Didn't matter if OSU won or lost... "WE WON, LET'S GET DRUNK!!, OR "WE LOST, LET'S GET DRUNK!!"

Following my pop selling days, I swept floors, and bused tables at the OSU library and dorm cafeterias... $.60 an hour.

At age 16, I enrolled in a class in school known as Distributive Education, which required us to have a job outside of the classroom. I went to a local restaurant, known as Sandy's Thrift 'n Swift Drive In, and applied. Went back a week later, and followed up on the application, and was told there were no openings. 'Went back a week later, same response.

'Went back the third time, and the manager sat me down for a personal visit. "Young man," he said, "I appreciate your persistence, but I have to tell you that I don't hire high school students... I don't have to, this is a university city, and I can hire more mature help. Thank you for applying, but you need not come back."

I said, "Sir, I'll see you next week."

And, I did. He finally, reluctantly, hired me, at $.90 an hour! I was given every dirty job the place had to offer, but was determined to prove myself worthy of the job. About 18 months later, I was the youngest person on the payroll, but had been there longer than any other employee, including the new manager. By 1968, I found myself managing a store for them in Wichita, Kansas, @ $125.00 a week, plus 1/2 of 1% of store gross volume, and 10% of net profit. Some quarters, my bonus checks outpaced my salary.

The following year, management called us all together for a district managers' meeting, and announced that they were having a problem retaining managers, and were going to put money into a retirement fund for us, "So that when you are 65, you won't just have social security, but cash in the bank."

That's when I realized how much I hated that job, wasn't about to do it for another 42 years!

I then reminded myself that, from my earliest memory, I had wanted to be a police officer. I resigned, returned home to Stillwater, OK, and applied for the police department. The then chief of police advised me that he did not hire single, 22 year old officers, because he could hire more mature, settled people for the job.

I was offed a job as city traffic control supervisor, but turned it down, saying I would apply for the PD again at a later time.

'Took a job managing a downtown restaurant, at $500.00 a month, no bonus. :-( Re-applied for the PD when that chief moved on, resulting in a police captain dropping by the store to advise me that my chances might be better if I wasn't working in a business that sold alcoholic beverages. (We sold about two bottles a beer a week to Sam Bates, the downtown clothing merchant.) So, I quit the restaurant, and went to work for Mr. Bates, selling clothes. Now, there is a job I hated! But, I still, today, appreciate the opportunity Sam gave me.

So, on Jan. 15th, 1971, I became a police officer, @ 397 bucks a month, no bonuses. I'm movin' on up, boy-howdy! 'Figured I'd do it 2-4 years, get it out of my system, and get back to the business of making money. Got married in April of '71, adopted 3 boys, and bought a house in August of that year. 'Haven't recovered from '71 yet!

About the time I thought it might be time to move on, I made Sergeant... then, Lieutenant... then, Captain... then, Major (deputy chief.) Put in 30 years, two weeks, two days, and 20 minutes of service, and retired.

During this 30 year period, I worked part time jobs, and owned and operated an auto detail shop, because the PD salary just never seemed to cover the needs of my family. This financed vacations, kids' cars, and other things that just could not have otherwise happened.

Since retiring in '01, I helped friends open and remodel their new auto body shop, and got a used dealers license (only to learn that I am not a used car salesman.)

I have served the City of Perkins as reserve police officer, flood plain administrator, and emergency management director (twice, which is my current responsibility,) and interim City Manager.

I have served Payne County as a reserve deputy, and as their EM Director also... my role has been to bring abandoned programs back to life, get bored, and move on.

It's been almost 47 years of public service, and I am, once again, considering moving on, and letting someone else take it from here.

OTOH... God permitting, health holding, wouldn't it be neat to be able to serve the public for a full 50 years? This is something I'm debating with myself

Now, I know Bob started this thread talking about childhood employment/responsibility, and that I have carried it way beyond that.

Why?

Because, I have come to realize that what I learned by busting my butt as a child, teen, and young adult, has contributed considerably to what small successes I have enjoyed throughout my adult life.

I mentioned hating the restaurant management phase of my life... but, during that period, while not realizing what was happening, I learned sales, service, personnel management, inventory control, budget processing, profit and loss, as well as discipline that made me keep on keeping on, whether I liked it or not.

These things are what the snow-flake, Millennials are NOT learning. And, they, and this country, are going to suffer for it!

Off my soapbox... hope I didn't steal your thread, Bob!
                Last edited by Studedude; 09-21-2017, 07:13 PM.
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Here's youth unemployment since 1956...

It appears to track fairly closely to the economy and the total unemployment rate.

Here's the last 10 years...

My wife and I worked as teenagers. My kids all worked as teenagers. My grandkids over 13 all work. Their friends work. Have things REALLY changed in that regard? I personally don't see kids today going to hell in a hand basket. Maybe I'm missing something.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...mployment-rate
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dave L. - This started out asking about jobs up to the age of 16. You got a bit carried away with your life story. Don't get me wrong - it is interesting. I wouldn't want to bore everyone with all of the part and full time jobs (often at the same time) that I have had over my life (one was for 26.5 years).

As far as making 50 years, I would say not to because of a friend of mine that I went to school with. After high school, he started a gas station and tow company. After many years he sold the station and concentrated on towing. His family and others were trying to get him to retire. He was trying to make 50 years in the business. A couple of months before the 50 years, he collapsed on a tow job. The State Trooper on the scene tried to revive him. He was kept alive, but vegetative, for quite some time and finally died.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Dick S. - How is "youth" defined for the graphs that you show?
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I'm with Dick. Today's kids will be fine.

I had a paper route and sold all occasion and christmas cards as my first work.....entrepreneur work.

I never liked working by the hour and never liked paying rent.

I'm glad the kid didn't get hurt while mowing the lawn. Cool kid!

I bet Trump never mowed any lawns.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          I'd like to see the data from the 60's and 70's. I'm a product of the 50's, and I'm not sure more than 60% of my high school class had jobs. I went to high school in the AM and worked at the local newspaper in the PM and Saturdays but there were a large number of kids that played sports and other activities that limited job access.

An you kids get the hell of my lawn. Bob
                          Bob, isn't there a difference between having what we would call a steady job versus having simply "worked for pay" at least once before being a senior in high school? Granted, many do not have a steady job before being a senior in high school, but that wasn't the point being made, which was that only 56% of high school seniors had ever worked for pay. Having worked for pay and having had a job could be, and are, two different things at a young age.

If a youngster gets paid one time to help a landlord clean up an abandoned property in the neighborhood, that youngster worked for pay but didn't have what we would call a job, since he only did it once. But he probably learned a lot in the process.

Another example from my own life: The manager of a small auto supply store in Paris IL, like a Western Auto store although it wasn't (I forget the name) once paid me to walk around the town square and put fliers on cars announcing a sale they were having. After doing that all morning, he told me to come back "after dinner" and distribute more flyers in some nearby parking lots.

I thought it was strange because he was giving me the whole afternoon off, since we ate "dinner" at our house around 5:30 PM. So off I went and did something else all afternoon.

When I reappeared in the early evening "after dinner" ready to resume handing out flyers, he asked me where I had been all afternoon. I explained that here I was, "after dinner," just like he said. That was when I learned that "dinner" is the noon meal for many people. Because there were so few cars in the parking lots in the evening, my services weren't needed at that late hour and I didn't earn any more money that day.

Another example: The old, dark, wood-floor hardware store (didn't we love 'em, those of us fortunate enough to have experienced them) in Paris IL, long since demolished, sold bulk paint thinner and other solvents out of 55-gallon drums in the back room. They dispensed those liquids into liquor bottles that had been tossed out behind the town's bars. Me and some other kids learned early on that we'd make a nickle a bottle for every empty liquor bottle we brought in for them to have available for solvent sales. So we'd scrounge around behind the bars and collect liquor bottles after school and such, bring them to the hardware store, and get paid.

We really didn't "have a job" doing that because we weren't the hardware store owner's employees, but we did "work for pay," which is the point the article's author was making.

Which begs the question: What percentage of today's 7th and 8th graders would be willing to scrounge around behind bars collecting used liquor bottles and deliver them to such a source "for pay" even if the opportunity afforded itself? (Which I realize it doesn't.) I mean, how would you text your friends and carry empty liquor bottles at the same time?

We can coat the current situation with all the sweetness of good wedding cake frosting, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation. If things are so dandy, why the nonsensical demand for "safe spaces" on college campuses where opposing thoughts and philosophies are to be excoriated as unacceptable? Why does every fast-food place in the country constantly have Help Wanted signs out, looking for high-schoolers who will show up on time, properly groomed, with at least a decent enough attitude to put in three or four hours' work after school?

The value in having performed menial tasks "for pay" can be discounted and belittled until the cows come home, but it doesn't change the reality of what a person can learn by having done so, and how well it will serve them later in life. BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob,

Labor laws have changed a LOT since the time you and I were 'under 16'; at least here. By law, one could NOT get any payroll type job until you were 16 years of age. The only exceptions were delivering newspapers, of which I had to wait a year as one had to get themselves on a waiting list. Until I finally landed a paper route, I did have an after school job vacuuming the hallways of a three-storey 20 unit apartment building three nights a week. It was a friend of my dad's who owned the apartment block who offered me the job, and was a good mile away from where I lived, and the paper route, once I finally landed one was the next block over from my house.

Today, the labor laws have changed where younger ones as early as 12 can work a minimum amount of hours per week, and no later than 9 PM 'on payroll' in places like restaurants, etc.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Bob,

Labor laws have changed a LOT since the time you and I were 'under 16'; at least here. By law, one could NOT get any payroll type job until you were 16 years of age. The only exceptions were delivering newspapers, of which I had to wait a year as one had to get themselves on a waiting list. Until I finally landed a paper route, I did have an after school job vacuuming the hallways of a three-storey 20 unit apartment building three nights a week. It was a friend of my dad's who owned the apartment block who offered me the job, and was a good mile away from where I lived, and the paper route, once I finally landed one was the next block over from my house.

Today, the labor laws have changed where younger ones as early as 12 can work a minimum amount of hours per week, and no later than 9 PM 'on payroll' in places like restaurants, etc. Craig
                              True, Craig; your report emphasizes the important distinction easily lost here; the idea of having had a job versus having worked for pay. I appreciate your having made the proper distinction. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X