PDA

View Full Version : Wheels Stuck lugs

jackb
09-20-2017, 05:54 PM
I have 2 lug nuts that are stripped (might be the studs) on the front of my truck. They are right hand thread. I cannot get them to grab the outer threads to remove them. Any tech tip short of cutting the nuts (ooops !)

garyash
09-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Jack: If you can get a big nut splitter on the lug nut, try that. But, it may be easier to just undo the spindle nut and pull the wheel, hub, and brake drum off whole. Then you can get to the back of the stud and drill it out. You may need a tungsten carbide tipped drill to cut the hard metal - just get a big 1/2" electric drill and push hard to get the bit to dig in and peel off the metal so you can separate the head from the shank. If you don't push hard, the drill bit will just burn up. I like the "Artu" brand that you can buy at Ace Hardware, etc. These will cut hard steel and masonry. Use a center punch with a BFH so the bit won't skate. Just remember that if the bit jams while you are drilling, a heavy-duty 1/2" electric drill will try to spin YOU around. Check the parts catalog for your year/model to see if you have 1/2 or 9/16 studs.

See http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31936396

tsenecal
09-20-2017, 06:31 PM
It seems likely that the studs will need to be replaced , so you will need to pull the hub off either way.

PackardV8
09-20-2017, 06:34 PM
I got one off by driving a tie rod separator behind the lug nut and then spinning it off with an impact gun.

jack vines

bensherb
09-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Jack's idea sounds like a good one. If the nut is bad so is the stud. I've had luck with simply grabbing the nut with vice grips and bending back and forth until the stud breaks, but it takes some time. Then just replace both stud and nut, the stud you need is a Dorman 610-036.1 unserrated (theres one by the same # for a Dodge truck that is serrated/knurled) they run around $6 the nut about a buck. Find a friend with a press to push out the old and in the new one, it's a hell of a press fit. Trying to pull one in with the nut will likely put you back where you started.

altair
09-20-2017, 10:38 PM
This is a bit time consuming bit it can be drilled out starting with a sharp 1/8 bit and increasing the bit size until you can twist it off. Get the small bit as close to center as possible. I have done this and it works, it takes about an hour.

thunderations
09-20-2017, 11:28 PM
It's junk so don't be too kind to it. I'd take a die grinder with a cutting wheel and cut the stud off at the base of the lug nut or as close as possible. Then use the same tool to cut off what's left of the nut. Then it's just the matter of pressing out the old and pressing in the new.

Buzzard
09-21-2017, 12:22 AM
Ditto what has been suggested. If you use the 1/2" drill like Gary suggested, don't forget to fold your thumbs back 'cause if it bites it will break your thumb.
Good luck and keep us posted as to your solution.
Bill

altair
09-22-2017, 11:21 AM
I would only use a 1/2" bit if I had used a 15/32 in front of it.