PDA

View Full Version : Cool/Heat: Heater Hose for 1964 Daytona

bjackameit
09-19-2017, 06:22 AM
O.K. folks --

This is for a 1964 Daytona Four-Door 259 V8.

My Studebaker Body Parts Book shows the heater hoses core to valve and core to water pump as 5/8" ID.

Most other sources say 3/4" ID.

Which is the right one to use?

Car currently has ugly red 3/4" hoses they look too wide and hardly fit through the grommets in the firewall.

I am replacing all water hoses and need toi know what way to go on the heater hose.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Jackameit

stude1964
09-19-2017, 08:44 AM
I believe they are 3/4 ". As for the heater hose with the 90 degree angle it can be obtained over the counter at NAPA as well. If need be I can dig out the number I recently got for my '64 Daytona project.
Rob in PA.

r1lark
09-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Working on my '64 Daytona hardtop Climatizer too. Hoses are 3/4".

If you are needing a long 3/4" hose with a formed 90 degree bend at one end, check out Gates 28480 or Dayco 80417. These are 48" long.

bjackameit
09-19-2017, 10:54 AM
I believe they are 3/4 ". As for the heater hose with the 90 degree angle it can be obtained over the counter at NAPA as well. If need be I can dig out the number I recently got for my '64 Daytona project.
Rob in PA.

Which hose (or hoses) use the 90 degree angle at one end? Both long hoses on the car appear to be basic straight hose that curves somewhat as they near the connection points but are not pinched or restricted.

r1lark
09-19-2017, 11:43 AM
The hose from the thermostatic valve to the core is a short molded 90 degree hose. I usually use the long hose with the formed 90 degree end on the other core nipple. To me it makes a cleaner installation. But yes, it's not required.

rockne10
09-19-2017, 05:59 PM
The hose from the thermostatic valve to the core is a short molded 90 degree hose.Last time I did one of those the parts store didn't have it in stock and I was in a hurry; so I got a copper elbow, two very short hose pieces and clamps. Not an easily accessible spot for tightening four clamps! :eek: But it worked.

r1lark
09-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Last time I did one of those the parts store didn't have it in stock and I was in a hurry; so I got a copper elbow, two very short hose pieces and clamps. Not an easily accessible spot for tightening four clamps! :eek: But it worked.

Good idea! I've done similar using exhaust pipe and straight radiator hose to fab up lower radiator hose on odd engine swaps.

rockne10
09-19-2017, 07:50 PM
I've done similar using exhaust pipe and straight radiator hose ...Haha! ;)A friend of mine dropped his '56 Transtar body on to a Dodge/Cummins pickup chassis and there was no room in front of the engine for a radiator. So he put one in the bed and plumbed it all with exhaust pipe. I doubt it will ever overheat. :woot:

studegary
09-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Haha! ;)A friend of mine dropped his '56 Transtar body on to a Dodge/Cummins pickup chassis and there was no room in front of the engine for a radiator. So he put one in the bed and plumbed it all with exhaust pipe. I doubt it will ever overheat. :woot:

But that exhaust pipe may rust out (unless it is stainless steel exhaust pipe).
I remember (several years ago) an M Series on a Dodge truck chassis, that I think was from Penn., but possibly NJ. I would like the '56 much better.