53 Champion VIN??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Champion VIN??

Where on the K body is the VIN located???

My 53 was made in Los Angeles with vin 1056 193Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2258.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1755909 (ooops upside down!) please compare title to photo nbrs to assure they are same.
    Thanks, Dan DeHaven, 7034701300
    Last edited by dand1; 10-11-2017, 10:45 AM. Reason: confirm engine nbr vs title nbr

There is Technically no "VIN" Number anywhere. The Serial number on the Serial number Plate welded to the Driver's Door Post serves as a VIN Number for Registration purposes.

This is only a Plant identification, Engine Cylinder # and sequential Line Number of all either 6 or Eight Cylinder Cars Mfg'd that year Model.
    No "Other" info is available without the Production order which IS available here: https://studebakermuseum.org/

This Link is From our "Main Page" under "Resources".

There is also the same "Secret" Serial Number on the Rear Lower Flange of the rearmost Frame Crossmember, lightly stamped and may be rusted too much to see.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      No "Other" info is available without the Production order which IS available here: https://studebakermuseum.org/ .
      Well, there is some additional information available from the body tag on the firewall under the hood but, Rich is correct, still not as much as the production order will reveal.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I guess I could have said: NO other Significant information is available without the PO.

The Body Tag will only tell you what you already know and can see, it's a Starliner Hardtop which only came in the one K5 "Regal" Trim Level.
        The sequential number on the body line is definitely not very Significant.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by dand1 View Post
          As Rich said, there is no VIN on a 1953 car.
          Two numbers may have been used as a "VIN". The one most currently accepted is the Serial Number, which is located on the driver's door jamb between the hinges. The other, which was used by many states, is the engine number.
          Last edited by studegary; 10-24-2017, 12:26 PM. Reason: missing o
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thank you for your feedback, however the sales agent is looking for a certification that the post sale DMV will accept for registration. Ideas? DMV rulings Font style exhibits for Calif, examples of DMV matches of titles to serial number on engine block, ...

Comment

My 53 was made in Los Angeles with vin 1056 193[ATTACH=CONFIG]67701[/ATTACH] (ooops upside down!) please compare title to photo nbrs to assure they are same.
              Thanks, Dan DeHaven, 7034701300
              In your case, the engine number was used for a "VIN". This was commonly done in 1953.
              If you have trouble with the I being used as a 1, there is another topic here that gives the reference for the documentation on this.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thank you for your feedback, however the sales agent is looking for a certification that the post sale DMV will accept for registration. Ideas? DMV rulings Font style exhibits for Calif, examples of DMV matches of titles to serial number on engine block, ...
                I'm afraid I don't understand. Are you saying that it does not have a title?

As noted above, in 1953 some states (eg, Calif) used the engine number for registration, and many others used the serial number riveted to the A pillar. If the vehicle was first registered in Calif or another engine-serial state, and was never registered in another state, then the engine number will be in the VIN box on the title. If the vehicle serial number was used, then that is probably the number on the title. You can obtain a copy of the original production order from the Stude National Museum. It will show both the vehicle and engine numbers and has been used by many people to prove to a DMV that the numbers are original to the vehicle.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Calif. has and will accept this Engine Number as a correct "VIN" Number for Registration if you get a Manager who understands the Calif. Statutes and registration procedure.

OR: They also will inspect your Serial Number if you ask, and with a Production Order in hand to PROVE that this THIS Car with it's Serial Number, came with THIS engine.
                  Then it can be registered by it's Serial Number, which they will agree is much better than the Engine Number which likely could get changed at any time.

Either way, that I.D. Number will be placed on your New Calif. Title and one of them of course must match the Old paperwork/Title paper you have for proof of ownership by means of the former owner signing it off and verification of Price paid and or a Calif. Bill of Sale Form.

I have been there, done that!

Also Note that your Engine Number is: 1056195, not 93!
                  Is THAT what you are trying say in Post #1 maybe?

UPDATE: I see you are in Virginia? The same should still apply if ANYONE there has a Brain!
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 10-24-2017, 03:36 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Calif. has and will accept this Engine Number as a correct "VIN" Number for Registration if you get a Manager who understands the Calif. Statutes and registration procedure.

OR: They also will inspect your Serial Number if you ask, and with a Production Order in hand to PROVE that this THIS Car with it's Serial Number, came with THIS engine.
                    Then it can be registered by it's Serial Number, which they will agree is much better than the Engine Number which likely could get changed at any time.

Either way, that I.D. Number will be placed on your New Calif. Title and one of them of course must match the Old paperwork/Title paper you have for proof of ownership by means of the former owner signing it off and verification of Price paid and or a Calif. Bill of Sale Form.

I have been there, done that!

Also Note that your Engine Number is: 1056195, not 93!
                    Is THAT what you are trying say in Post #1 maybe?

UPDATE: I see you are in Virginia? The same should still apply if ANYONE there has a Brain!
                    The last digit looks more like a 3 (three) than a 5 (five) to me [compare it with the 5 in the engine number].
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yes, definitely a 3, I just clicked it TWICE and it enlarged AND flipped! Much easier to read!
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X