Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should be `placed the coil

Dear Friends.

Our 41 Champion, recently bought, had the coil just loose in any place of the engine compartment. We have searched for the original mount holes but not found. In the web I have not found a photo of this engine showing the coil.

Please, can some of the oldtimers in the forum, upload a photo showing the right place where the coil should be located ?
    Thanks in advance

Studebakerchile

I don't have a picture, but I believe the coil goes on the bracket that attaches to the head that also holds the throttle cross shaft and the metal spark plug wire loom.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I don't have a picture, but I believe the coil goes on the bracket that attaches to the head that also holds the throttle cross shaft and the metal spark plug wire loom.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

At least in a 2R pick up I have seen the coil in that place, but I do not know if it should be the same for the 41 Champion

Studebakerchile

Comment

At least in a 2R pick up I have seen the coil in that place, but I do not know if it should be the same for the 41 Champion

Studebakerchile

Comment

The original coil mounted on the firewall and had an armored cable that went to the ignition switch. There were only two wires on the top of the coil; the high tension wire to the center of the distributor cap, and a primary wire to the distributor lead-in.
            Since these are a bit rare and costly to replace when a new coil is needed, they are usually replaced with a new style universal coil. It sounds like that is what you have. I think I'd try to mount it on the firewall below the voltage regulator approximately where it was originally.

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The original coil mounted on the firewall and had an armored cable that went to the ignition switch. There were only two wires on the top of the coil; the high tension wire to the center of the distributor cap, and a primary wire to the distributor lead-in.
              Since these are a bit rare and costly to replace when a new coil is needed, they are usually replaced with a new style universal coil. It sounds like that is what you have. I think I'd try to mount it on the firewall below the voltage regulator approximately where it was originally.

Dwain G.
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I stand corrected. Thanks Dwain!

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

I stand corrected. Thanks Dwain!

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...