PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: 63-64 Hawk GT w/disc Brakes

345 DeSoto
09-16-2017, 05:18 PM
I'm looking for the Master Cylinder cap from one of these Hawks...the type used with the remote fill on the fire wall. Thanks...

56GH
09-17-2017, 04:37 PM
Tough to find NOS. I had difficulties myself and bought the last one from one of our vendors Have you checked with the many used parts vendors?

345 DeSoto
09-17-2017, 05:37 PM
Used would be fine...

StudeRich
09-17-2017, 08:29 PM
It is not hard to plug the vents and weld a 90 Degree brass fitting into the top of the tall Metal, stock OEM Type Caps.

An OEM, Original remote fill M/C Cap is like hens teeth to find. :ohmy:

52 Ragtop
09-18-2017, 09:11 PM
It is not hard to plug the vents and weld a 90 Degree brass fitting into the top of the tall Metal, stock OEM Type Caps.

Looks like something else I need to look into!!!

Jim

JoeHall
09-18-2017, 09:26 PM

Rich,
Having just removed mine, I do not believe there'd be enough clearance below the floorboard, if a 90 degree fitting were perched on top of an OEM type vented cap. That cap is taller than the non-vented cap the OP is looking for. The shorter, non-vented cap, with fitting on top, only has about 1/4" clearance from the floorboard. The taller cap, with fitting on top, probably would not clear.

Then thinking further, some of the repros are lower, so could possibly be made to work.

StudeRich
09-18-2017, 10:49 PM
No problem, people have welded them on the side after drilling the Vent Hole very oversize.

56GH
09-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Rich,
Having just removed mine, I do not believe there'd be enough clearance below the floorboard, if a 90 degree fitting were perched on top of an OEM type vented cap. That cap is taller than the non-vented cap the OP is looking for. The shorter, non-vented cap, with fitting on top, only has about 1/4" clearance from the floorboard. The taller cap, with fitting on top, probably would not clear.

Then thinking further, some of the repros are lower, so could possibly be made to work.

Joe:

The '63-'64 MC cap I got for my '62 GT from a well-known vendor was described to me as being NOS and it was quite low. I screwed in a 90 degree ΒΌ" tubing Swage-Lok fitting that I had on hand and had plenty of room between the top of it and the floorboard cover. I've made up a "replica" of the S-P AC-50049 glass jar brake fluid reservoir and I had no problem plumbing it to the brake master cylinder cap elbow. I should have taken a photo of it while I had the floorboard cover off, but here's a shot from underneath.

345 DeSoto
09-23-2017, 04:26 AM
Found a MC cap for a 63-64 Hawk GT w/front disc brakes, at the Dunkirk Swap Meet. Only problem was that it was attached to an NOS Master Cylinder, for same. Didn't need the cap for THAT price, however, I got to check out the cap, and know what I need to do to the new MC cap that I DO have.

JoeHall
09-23-2017, 04:39 AM
Found a MC cap for a 63-64 Hawk GT w/front disc brakes, at the Dunkirk Swap Meet. Only problem was that it was attached to an NOS Master Cylinder, for same. Didn't need the cap for THAT price, however, I got to check out the cap, and know what I need to do to the new MC cap that I DO have.

The NOS master cylinder probably woulda needed to be rebuilt anyway. Yep, with a little creativity, most anything can be overcame on our old Studes. LOL

LovelandJoe
09-23-2017, 11:04 AM
I think Jim Turner from Turner Brakes may be working on an upgrade that would eliminate the floor mounted master cylinder and put it on the fire wall

avanti-hawk
09-23-2017, 02:37 PM
I think Jim Turner from Turner Brakes may be working on an upgrade that would eliminate the floor mounted master cylinder and put it on the fire wall

that would be nice!

JoeHall
09-23-2017, 03:30 PM
If anyone has the original reservoir on the firewall, and wants to convert to dual MC, it is easy to keep the reservoir, with the conversion. I just did it.

64V-K7
09-23-2017, 04:03 PM
If you're using Turners dual master cylinder kit, drill a 1/4" pass thru hole in the internal reservoir separator wall to allow the fluid to balance itself. Then drill another another hole in the front of the reservoir and tap in a 1/4" brass nipple. A single supply can then be used to maintain the fill level ...

JoeHall
09-23-2017, 04:19 PM
If you're using Turners dual master cylinder kit, drill a 1/4" pass thru hole in the internal reservoir separator wall to allow the fluid to balance itself. Then drill another another hole in the front of the reservoir and tap in a 1/4" brass nipple. A single supply can then be used to maintain the fill level ...

That is exactly what I did, and it works well !