PDA

View Full Version : SDC is now on Facebook

BShaw
09-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Some may have noticed that the Studebaker Drivers Club is on Facebook. Thanks to Cindy Sale of the Iowa Hawkeye Chapter for volunteering as the club’s Facebook Administrator...and we are lucky to have her expertise. Facebook and this Forum have similarities but are very different. This Forum will always be a great way to interact with each other and it especially excels at tracking conversations and technical stuff. Facebook, because so many members and Chapters are on Facebook, is a very easy way to socialize in the Studebaker world but admittedly more difficult to keep track of particular posts and discussions one may want to revisit later. Anyway, both Facebook and the Forum are good tools SDC members and all Studebaker enthusiasts can use to get more out of our “affliction”. You can find, “like” and “follow” the new SDC Facebook page at www.facebook.com/StudebakerDriversClubInc (http://www.facebook.com/StudebakerDriversClubInc)

Studebaker Wheel
09-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Do not see any way to join!

JoeHall
09-16-2017, 08:44 PM
I just went there, and it is a very nice site! I too, do not see a way to join, but not sure that matters. Excellent job, and hats off to Cindy Sale :)

Cindy S.
09-16-2017, 11:00 PM
HI, I am Cindy, the new admin for the SDC facebook page.
First, I want to shout out a big THANKS to Bob Shaw for his guidance and the awesome artwork he has created for the page. I think it really brings the page alive!
Second I want to introduce myself. I have been a Studebaker owner since about 2002. Our current project is a 1959 4E7 truck we picked up in South Bend last fall and dragged back to Iowa in a blizzard. We also have a 55' President and a 58' Silver Hawk. You know as well as I do that they are all "projects."
Third, I want to let everyone know we welcome all family friendly Studebaker related posts and events on the new page, in fact, they have already started pouring in. If you want an event posted, just message me by using the "Send Message" button and include date, Chapter Name, City and State. If you have an image or logo, you can include that too. I will add the post as they come in. In the future, we will open that for more people to add posts and photos but for now, I will monitor the posts. I think it is important for everyone to know this is not a replacement for any other newsletters or published items. In fact, the intent is to supplement those initiatives. Bob has given me several guidelines to follow and a wish list which firmly supports this new digital source as a compliment to the very strong printed pieces, web pages and social media we already have in place.

Cindy S.
09-16-2017, 11:04 PM
The new site is public everyone, so there is no "join" option. We encourage everyone to "Like" the page, and if you want to be notified of new posts, you can "Follow" the page.

Avantidon
09-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Thank you Bob and Cindy for putting this page together for the SDC.

rockne10
09-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Do not see any way to join!The SDC presence on Facebook is a "Page", not a "Group". Joining is not required to visit a "Page." That DOES make it territory wide open to the world so, let's be certain to post there only our very best and most cordial face to the world. :!:
If anyone sees anything there that is not appropriate, please realize commenting on it accomplishes only a challenge to the original poster, but "reporting" it to the Administrator (Cindy) can get it quickly dealt with.

GrumpyOne
09-17-2017, 02:43 PM
No danger of me ever visiting any facecrook site...

PackardV8
09-17-2017, 03:19 PM
No danger of me ever visiting any facecrook site...

X2

Your opinions and results may vary, but mine regarding Farcebook won't.

jack vines

shifter4
09-17-2017, 03:27 PM
X2

Your opinions and results may vary, but mine regarding Farcebook won't.

jack vines

I too will not be visiting , and definitely not ever registering on FB .

Me 3

studeclunker
09-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Facebook is not a manageable location for me. I often refer to signing on (to my friends) as going down the Rabbit Hole (as in Alice In Wonderland). I am ever blocking this and that to keep things somewhere near manageable in order to see what I am there for and keep out what I don't want to be bothered with. I really like this site and the others like it that I frequent.

gordr
09-17-2017, 04:11 PM
I too will not be visiting , and definitely not ever registering on FB .

Me 3

Me X4. "Loathing" is the operative word.

rockne10
09-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Me X4. "Loathing" is the operative word.Seems odd to "loathe" something you admit to not experiencing. But everyone's entitled.

Noxnabaker
09-17-2017, 05:14 PM
Just wanna say that there's a "Studebakers of Scandinavia" group on "surfacebook" also... ;)

Tom Curtis
09-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Great Work Cindy Sale for taking on this most important project. I am sure that the majority of our SDC members who do not themselves participate or enjoy the attributes of Facebook, realize how important the social media exposure is for our club with the younger demographic. We wish you success and thank you for your role in building for our future.

gordr
09-17-2017, 08:39 PM
I don't want to get into politics, so I will leave it at that.

StudeNewby
09-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Thanks to Cindy, Bob and others for taking on the Facebook initiative. The page looks great. This will he a great tool to spread the SDC word!

BRUCESTUDE
09-17-2017, 11:03 PM
Good job Cindy and others, the page looks good! Maybe I can get some of my (brand-xers) friends to check it out too!

Henry Votel
09-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Great Job Cindy & Bob. It takes a lot of thought, time, coordination and future time to monitor an Internet Group properly. This site is a great example of 'done right!'

Amused by anti-FB-posters. The Internet is a 'salad bar' and if you wasted your time posting a neg it's your loss. Not likely your comments will convert anyone to your opine. LOL.

8E45E
09-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Facebook does not bother me at all.

As I stated in a previous post, I am a member, but I do not frequent it on a daily basis like I do here.

Craig

Pat Dilling
09-18-2017, 10:15 AM
The new site is public everyone, so there is no "join" option. We encourage everyone to "Like" the page, and if you want to be notified of new posts, you can "Follow" the page.

I think Richard may be commenting that he does not see an obvious link to Join the SDC, not join the page. Perhaps a pinned post with membership information would be worthwhile. There are several unofficial Studebaker groups on Facebook as well as Chapter pages. Great to see an official SDC page! Well done!

Pat

studerodder
09-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Let's hope it is not as draconian as SDC forum.

Buzzard
09-18-2017, 12:06 PM
My hat is off to Cindy and Bob for their accomplishment as it may bring others into our fold by sheer new exposure. However at my ripe age I'll stick with the life I already have and leave this social media stuff to the young un's whom seem to be wired into it. Good luck to all involved.
Bill

DEEPNHOCK
09-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Facebook is just a tool.
Like any tool, there are only three things you can do with it.
Use it right...
Use it wrong....
Don't use it....
The negative about Facebook is that more than a third of the world uses it. That'll surely turn some people off, just by the number.
(source: https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/27/facebook-2-billion-users/ )

I do get a kick out of the adjectives people use for something they do not use, or choose not to learn how to use..
I also get a kick out of the SDC's knowledge of 'Tweeter' and 'Facebooks':rolleyes:

Lynn
09-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Happy for you guys that want to use Facebook.
I don't. I have visited, and sat with kids (my oldest is 40, so "kids" may be a bit misleading). I cringe every time PBS, or any organization wants me to "like" them on Facebook.
Just not for me. But, on top of that, one of my really good friends (used to be a Snap-On tool dealer, which is where I met him) does computer repair and IT work for a living.
He knows how to set up the best security available, and can install firewalls for businesses. HE won't get on Facebook for security reasons. Good enough for me. There is ALREADY way too much friggin info available on me out there floating around in cyber space. Don't get me wrong, I understand the "tool" aspect, but for me personally, it isn't worth it.

Having said all that, I am heading up a non profit organization that needs to raise money. We will have a Facebook page, because it really is a great tool to reach younger folks. Fortunately for me, I have some really great computer and tech savvy board members who can handle it, and will be doing all the "facebooking". Me? I will be writing letters and doing grant requests to the foundations. We all have our strengthes, AND our weaknesses, as well as our preferences and prejudices.

Aussie Hawk
09-19-2017, 12:48 AM
I started a Face Book page when we opened 'Studebaker of Australia'. Chris Skinner and I are constantly posting Studebaker related articles, stories and photographs and have over 1200 followers who often comment and share our posts worldwide. Unashamedly we do use it to help the business, that's why we started it. But it is also a great source of information, I post photos of repairs or issues I've had with my Studes for the benefit of all, it's a very active page. We also have a Pinterest page, Instagram site, and a You Tube Channel that I update with various Studebaker only photos and videos. My reasoning is that to increase my company's sales I have to raise the public awareness of the brand, and get people to THINK STUDEBAKER! Not to mention I'm a Stude Nut.

Cindy, we have already made contact about our respective FB pages, and feel free to share any of our articles or posts, also from our other media platforms I mentioned above.

https://www.facebook.com/studeparts/?hc_ref=ARSTzoU4WPbIJvS92BQlYhWg0PS7NxOhpEn1l19KaLLKNT1Bzz0OqwV-kWPfM7Juiqo

creegster
09-20-2017, 02:01 PM
Thank you for volunteering your time and taking on this endeavor to reach out to a larger audience about Studebakers, including the most important demographic: the younger audience. And thank you for doing it while coordinating with the SDC team, in an effort to augment the entire club.

DEEPNHOCK
09-20-2017, 02:11 PM
Thank you for volunteering your time and taking on this endeavor to reach out to a larger audience about Studebakers, including the most important demographic: the younger audience. And thank you for doing it while coordinating with the SDC team, in an effort to augment the entire club.

Well said, sir!

packard352
09-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Praise the Lord and about time! Let's hope Twitter and Instagram are next in the 'To-Do' list. Why is this important? Well, for each month that I read bout how the Drivers Club need to draw in new and younger blood ~ this is the start of being able to achieve that end... well done SDC!

BTW, there's already SOC UK (Studebaker Owners Club UK) on FB