Two C/K shorties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two C/K shorties

These two shortened Studebakers were at the Ozark Trails orphan car show last weekend. They may be familiar to some of you, but I don't remember seeing them before. The styles where completely different with one being Chevy powered and the other mounted on a front wheel drive chassis with even the front fender openings modified. I am going to post the pictures separately to make it simpler.
    First the Chevy version.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Now the front wheel drive version. There was an album with this car showing just a body sitting in a flooded field. I suspect it had no floor. I am not sure what car donated the floor pan an running gear. It looked to me like the front bumper had even been extended further back on the ends.
    Attached Files
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I like them both!
      I do not believe that the 1954 is what you refer to as a shorty.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
        I like them both!
        I do not believe that the 1954 is what you refer to as a shorty.
        Maybe not in the traditional way. Notice how the front wheel openings are moved back.
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

We had the GoodGuys show here two weeks ago. There were more than a thousand cars. Some I just walked by. A few, I wished I could pay money and drive it home. A few, "What ever in the world made that seem like a good idea?"

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

The front wheel drive is a Chevy Corsica. The first time he showed it he noticed that one wheel opening was 1 inch or so different than the other and had to redo it.

Comment

The front end on the red car is a sedan too. But, roof and back look like C body, not F.... I suspect the front of the front fenders and grill assy from a sedan was grafted onto C/K fenders since they don't slope down as far and there needed to be more room under the hood for the engine. Wonder what was done with the hood? There was a LOT of work done on that.

I have seen a C/K shell that was put on a 80s Tbird chassis. Under the hood was the strut suspension and other ford "fox" body stuff.

Jeff in ND

Comment

If my old eyes are not failing me, In the pictures it looks to have Sedan grill shells, hood latch support, bumper filler and hood.

(Jeff was quicker than me pointing out the sedan parts)
                Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by MChance View Post
                  If my old eyes are not failing me, In the pictures it looks to have Sedan grill shells, hood latch support, bumper filler and hood.

(Jeff was quicker than me pointing out the sedan parts)
                  That's what I thought when I looked at the car. The grilles did not look as pointed on the ends as a C/K grille and the nose looked stubbier.
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Just a WAG, but was it the left front fender that was redone on the FWD car? The moral of this is: always get extra paint for the car when having it done, just in case you need to do some touch up.
                    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                    1950 Champion Convertible
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
                      The front wheel drive is a Chevy Corsica. .
                      My father bought a new one of those when he was 91. It was okay for his local use. I wouldn't pick it to propel a heavier car for regular driving.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Both appear nicely done.

Comment

Good workmanship.....not my cup of tea on the design...especially the red one.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                          X