New Purchase 1965 Daytona wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Purchase 1965 Daytona wagon

Bought a '65 wagon with the 283 in it. Originally a light green/lime color with a 3 on the tree. Black vinyl split seats, not bucket, and the slide top roof. However some knucklehead put a chevy bell housing, and three spd in it, then cobbled in a floor shift. It runs okay, with the brakes and steering in good shape. The body panels have minimal rust, and the underside is solid as new with under coating. Ser. no. C515090. From what info I've found so far, it's one of 735 made, with serial numbers starting at 510001, does this mean they numbered the cars sequentially regardless of model? If so, then my car is the 5,090 car produced that year?
    Eventually I would like to return the trans back to the original stude, with o/d & 3 on the tree. It's a driver that still needs some tinkering. Last week I took it to a local car show and slid the top forward. I stood up in the back and answered questions that started with the comment "I didn't know they made one like that!"
    Not much time left to drive it this year before storage, but I've had fun & troubles with it already!

Does your car look like the one in the picture? If it does, then it is probably the same car that I sold 8 years ago.
    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the wagon world ...... have fun with it !
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by Pckstude View Post
        Bought a '65 wagon with the 283 in it. Ser. no. C515090. From what info I've found so far, it's one of 735 made, with serial numbers starting at 510001, does this mean they numbered the cars sequentially regardless of model? If so, then my car is the 5,090 car produced that year?
        That's partly true. Yours is the 5090th V-8 model made, regardless of body style. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I believe that there were 1824 wagons built for 1965. Maybe your 735 number is some subset of that (like V8 or Daytona).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Bellhousing could be stock Studebaker to mount the Late Stude./Chev. Case Borg Warner T-86 Standard 3 Speed or Overdrive.

Is it a straight Stick GM Case Trans., not BW?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes it does! Did you sell it to John Buhlman? And if you did, can you give me any history on the car?

Comment

It's a GM 23 3825847, cast and 1201 cast tag. with a GM bell housing 3840383.

Comment

Thanks Bob. I ordered the production order from the museum today.

Comment

How does one do this?

Comment

Originally posted by Studelarkrod View Post
                      How does one do this?
                      Go to the Studebaker National Museum web site and you can order it there. Someone else may provide you with a link.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have a T86 overdrive out of a 1965 Studebaker for sale.
                        The problem is that the bell housing is aluminum and is corroded so I can not remove the bell housing from the transmission.
                        If I try to get it off I may break the bell housing.
                        You can install the trans and bell housing together.
                        Offers to studebaker@mac.com
                        Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Yes it does! Did you sell it to John Buhlman? And if you did, can you give me any history on the car?
                          Yes I did. I bought the car in 2007 from a guy in Northern Minnesota, but the car had come from Oregon or Washington at some point. I didn't have the car that long and ended up selling because I didn't drive it very often, plus I had two other Lark wagons at the time. I always liked the car and it's one of the few that I've regretted selling.

Comment

Not sure if this is urban legend or not but I recall someone stating that there are no production orders available for the Canadian built cars. And being it is a '65 ... . Please advise to set the record straight.
                            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                              Not sure if this is urban legend or not but I recall someone stating that there are no production orders available for the Canadian built cars. And being it is a '65 ... . Please advise to set the record straight.
                              They are available but there are some numbers , Inthink late ones , that got dumped and now are not in order . I have my production order for both my 65 and 66
                              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                              X