PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Transmission Fluid Question - Silver Hawk

rockymtnguy
09-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Hi folks - I purchased a 1957 Silver Hawk a few months ago (with the 289 and auto trans) - I have a transmission leak which needs to be addressed - but in the meantime, how do I check the current transmission fluid level and, if it needs more, what do I use?

thanks

dynolou2
09-13-2017, 07:37 PM
There should be an access port on the right side of the transmission tunnel, remove plug and twist off cap to read level. Check with car warmed up at idle speed in Drive, first set hand brake,you may need to chock wheels, unscrew cap and read level. For fluid type either type " F " or Dex 111/ Mercon NAPA or any parts store, even Walmart. Be careful adding, you may want to put it in park to add fluid slowly, if it burps it will be all over the interior. Lou Cote

rockymtnguy
09-15-2017, 01:35 PM
There should be an access port on the right side of the transmission tunnel, remove plug and twist off cap to read level. Check with car warmed up at idle speed in Drive, first set hand brake,you may need to chock wheels, unscrew cap and read level. For fluid type either type " F " or Dex 111/ Mercon NAPA or any parts store, even Walmart. Be careful adding, you may want to put it in park to add fluid slowly, if it burps it will be all over the interior. Lou Cote

Thanks for your help.

RadioRoy
09-15-2017, 04:17 PM
On my 54, if the cap is off and the engine is running and the car is not in drive, the transmission fluid spits out of the fill hole and makes a mess. So I only take off the cap in drive with the engine running, or with the engine shut off.