PDA

View Full Version : Disaster!

JLau
09-13-2017, 01:58 PM
We are in the process of installing a supercharger on our 57 Golden Hawk. We sent the wet air cleaner (and other parts) to be powder-coated, and it got dented badly. So now we are looking for another. If anybody has one available, or knows of one that might be, please let me know.

thunderations
09-13-2017, 02:15 PM
That should be repairable by any competent body shop. I have seen worse hammered out and finished to perfection. Might be worth investigating before looking for another that might need repaired also.

StudeRich
09-13-2017, 02:41 PM
You DO have to wonder HOW in the process of cleaning, Priming and top Coating an Air Cleaner you get a serious blow like that to it?? :confused:

Transportation damage?

Noxnabaker
09-13-2017, 03:41 PM
If you feel it would be worth it you could shape a piece of wood in one end & bang it from inside with a hammer in the other end while having it laying on a bag of sand or even on a "hard" foam matress, you'll be surprised how easy it goes out, but be carefull so you don't do it to much, or to fast - if you pry to fast you might get stranger dents...
But why not at least try?
We learn as long as we live, after that it's probably different... ;)
GOOD luck!

JLau
09-14-2017, 07:52 AM
WE sandblasted and cleaned it. We then delivered it to their business. All they had to do was powder coat it. Our theory is that it was hanging on the rack, and after it was coated, it fell off of the hanger and hit the edge of the bar at the bottom of the stand. When we arrived to pick up the parts (we had about seven pieces done), the guys walked the parts (that were wrapped up in paper) to our car and placed them in the car for us. Hmmmmm. Did you think that we weren't going to check it before we left? I guess their plan was for us to bring the parts back here and then discover the damage. That way, they could say that WE dropped it after the fact.

Commander Eddie
09-14-2017, 09:05 AM
I guess you won't be using them again! :mad:

thunderations
09-14-2017, 09:46 AM
Things happen and as a former restoration shop owner/operator, I have spent hours correcting a wrong caused by some stupid little accident and the owner would never have known about it had I not explained what happened and what was done to correct it. That's what an honest shop would do. Trying to hide or pass the problem along is the problem. Most restorations provide a finished product that is so superior to the original product that it is not even funny. A complete restored car or any item should be much nicer then when it left the original production line because it is now hand built and hand finished.
The damaged part in question here is easily repaired and when done should be as nice or nicer then original. One of the hardest things to do in a restoration is match the average quality of fit and finish that was the normal from the factory. Replicating production line, piece work quality is almost impossible.
WE sandblasted and cleaned it. We then delivered it to their business. All they had to do was powder coat it. Our theory is that it was hanging on the rack, and after it was coated, it fell off of the hanger and hit the edge of the bar at the bottom of the stand. When we arrived to pick up the parts (we had about seven pieces done), the guys walked the parts (that were wrapped up in paper) to our car and placed them in the car for us. Hmmmmm. Did you think that we weren't going to check it before we left? I guess their plan was for us to bring the parts back here and then discover the damage. That way, they could say that WE dropped it after the fact.

gordr
09-14-2017, 11:48 AM
The powder coating shop should fix this under their insurance coverage, at no cost to you. Maybe a letter from a lawyer will wake them up.

Mike Sal
09-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Agree....the paint shop should be liable for the repair.

I guess the lessen learned for the rest of us is to un-wrap all parts before writing the check & leaving their facility.
Mike Sal

jclary
09-14-2017, 12:42 PM
I sold and supplied equipment for powder coating (and other finishing operations) for years. Depending on facilities, I can see how items can get off kilter, hung up on conveyor lines, or caught in doors.:oops: Even so, to simply wrap such a goof up and attempt to pass it off, is inexcusable. Before really getting a lawyer involved, take the time to prepare a written complaint, and send it by certified letter (even if it is next door). The few bucks the post office charges is well worth the effort. Such written notices is often the first thing a Lawyer would do anyway. It usually gets the same response without the Lawyer fee. There are often truly good explanations for such an "accident." But never a good explanation for a "cover-up.":mad:

The last few complaints I handled that way, got me exactly what I wanted without the legal fees.:)

JLau
11-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Just to provide closure on this old thread, the guy did repair the damage. It came out better than I had hoped. Most people will never notice it. Here are a few picts for your viewing pleasure...

doug
11-03-2017, 11:02 AM
Car looks great!

Commander Eddie
11-03-2017, 11:24 AM
He did a good job. It looks just fine. As does the engine and frame. Nicely done!

StudeRich
11-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Good for you, that is SO much better than wasting a rare, hard to find Supercharger Air Cleaner! :!:

And the Car and Engine do look GREAT. :cool:

Dave Bates
11-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Looks fantastic!

Bills R2
11-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Many years ago, a good friend had the headlight buckets out of a Superbird. Yeh, try replacing those.
They were set in the grass as we cleaned & painted the inside of the nose.
His mother came home and for some reason, thought she would be out of our way if she parked on the grass. Now the buckets oddly enough were placed perfectly apart so that she got ONE EACH with each front tire! Never seen a dude turn white before . A skilled body guy did absolute wonders with them.