Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Silverhawk Frame Rails

Good Afternoon Everyone,

We are in the process of restoring a 1958 Studebaker Silverhawk and ran into a major problem.
    Both frame rails in the back are shot, where the rear leafs hook to. Probably about an 18" section,
    closest to the rear bumper.

Does anyone reproduce these? Or is there any good used places I may find something?

Thanks!!
    Jim

Considering that Studebaker was very frugal when it came to changing things just to be changing them, you should find that other Studebaker frames are very similar and that you can use frame parts from another parts car, or possibly the whole frame.
    I'm sure others have had this same problem and will chime in on repairs that can be made.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

If you are doing a total restoration, a complete frame would be the best choice. Good frames come up fairly often, but they are usually in the areas not subject to salted roads and require shipping or a long trip to retrieve.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

To answer your first question, sorry NO there would never be enough demand to make a Stock New Frame available.

There ARE "supposed to be" aftermarket very expensive, complete frame Assemblies with running Gear from Art Morrison for Custom Hot Rod 120.5" W/B Studebakers, but I do not see it here in their Catalog so you would have to ask.

Last edited by StudeRich; 09-11-2017, 05:53 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ran into same problem with wife's 56 SkyHawk . Frame was solid except for the front of the rear axle hump. The body had to come off. one at a time I cleaned up the frame and cut away the rusty parts I cut reinforcemet parts from heavier than original steel and welded the heck out of them . Painted the inside with POR ( which will burn!!) and welded anew bottom on the frame. It is time consuming but the frame is more rigid than it was originally and it is straight. I have a frame from a 64 Hawk you could have but you are a long way off. 63 and 64 frames were heavier than previous years.

Comment

Working...
          X