Taxi bellhousings and overdrive search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxi bellhousings and overdrive search

Has anyone out there came across any Lark taxi belhousings or taxi parts cars in general. Looking to put a heavier duty transmission behind a Lark ohv six when I pull the six out of my Lark hardtop project (or I may put the heavier tranny behind the six, at the rate I'm going with the v8) I have a hybred T86/90 taxi transmission with a v8 mating pattern but the Lark automobile bellhousing has too small a mating face to redrill. Have to check a six truck housing also.

Anyone have a line on any T86 overdrives from a Lark V8, need something to tinker with on zero degree days in Nebraska.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Jeff,

Hopefully, someone better versed on the topic (read that someone who's ever even seen a taxi bellhousing![B)])will respond here, but one taxi (fleet service) part I do have is a throwout bearing with a metal line coming off of it. This line has a threaded end on it that accepts a flexible grease line. That line (I'm assuming) had to ultimately (at it's other end) attach to something sticking THRU the bellhousing - the other side of which had a grease zerk so it could feed grease to the TO bearing.
    Anyways, I'm guessing that the reason there's a different BH part number for taxis is cause of the accomodation of the greasable TO bearing.[:I]
    Dwain, Bob, anyone???

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Jeff,

Hopefully, someone better versed on the topic (read that someone who's ever even seen a taxi bellhousing![B)])will respond here, but one taxi (fleet service) part I do have is a throwout bearing with a metal line coming off of it. This line has a threaded end on it that accepts a flexible grease line. That line (I'm assuming) had to ultimately (at it's other end) attach to something sticking THRU the bellhousing - the other side of which had a grease zerk so it could feed grease to the TO bearing.
      Anyways, I'm guessing that the reason there's a different BH part number for taxis is cause of the accomodation of the greasable TO bearing.[:I]
      Dwain, Bob, anyone???

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I do believe that fleet cars such as taxis were offered that combined an OHV six engine with a "V8 grade" power train. Seems to me there was some mention made of using taxi bellhousings for tranny swaps in DD's books.

I once owned a '64 Taxi with OHV six and automatic. The car had disc brakes, and a heavy-duty cast-iron Flightomatic with cooling lines on it. Had a zipper in the headliner for the taxi light, and the original vinyl upholstery was still intact, amazingly enough. It was a total rust-bucket however. My sister was in need of a car, so I let her use for a couple of months, and it ran just fine for her. Finally parted it out; if you had seen the body, you would understand why.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I do believe that fleet cars such as taxis were offered that combined an OHV six engine with a "V8 grade" power train. Seems to me there was some mention made of using taxi bellhousings for tranny swaps in DD's books.

I once owned a '64 Taxi with OHV six and automatic. The car had disc brakes, and a heavy-duty cast-iron Flightomatic with cooling lines on it. Had a zipper in the headliner for the taxi light, and the original vinyl upholstery was still intact, amazingly enough. It was a total rust-bucket however. My sister was in need of a car, so I let her use for a couple of months, and it ran just fine for her. Finally parted it out; if you had seen the body, you would understand why.

Comment

I have a bellhousing from a Champ truck OHV6 will that help? NT

Neil Thornton
            Hazlehurst, GA
            '57 Silver Hawk
            '56 Sky Hawk
            '51 2R16 dump truck
            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

I have a bellhousing from a Champ truck OHV6 will that help? NT

Neil Thornton
              Hazlehurst, GA
              '57 Silver Hawk
              '56 Sky Hawk
              '51 2R16 dump truck
              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

64 Champ pick up has a bell housing that takes T86 and T85 with a long input shaft. Starter is on the left hand side like a V8.

Vern
                316 215-1166

Comment

64 Champ pick up has a bell housing that takes T86 and T85 with a long input shaft. Starter is on the left hand side like a V8.

Vern
                  316 215-1166

Comment

It got up in the high 30s in Nebraska today and I got out to my folk's place, couldn't get to the barn because of snowdrifts but I found an old 50ish six truck four speed bellhousing in the corner of the garage.

Looks like I could redrill the two upper bolt holes on the mounting face and perhaps the lower left but the mounting flange and the lower right are not even close. I would also need to get a new bearing retainer since the big hole is around 4.5" as opposed to my T86's 4" or so.

I guess I need to find a E8 truck bellhousing or call SASCO to see if they have any Y1 bellhousings that are not searchable on the website. I could always place an ad in turning wheels too.

Jeff T.

The Replacements.
                    The Replacements.

Comment

It got up in the high 30s in Nebraska today and I got out to my folk's place, couldn't get to the barn because of snowdrifts but I found an old 50ish six truck four speed bellhousing in the corner of the garage.

Looks like I could redrill the two upper bolt holes on the mounting face and perhaps the lower left but the mounting flange and the lower right are not even close. I would also need to get a new bearing retainer since the big hole is around 4.5" as opposed to my T86's 4" or so.

I guess I need to find a E8 truck bellhousing or call SASCO to see if they have any Y1 bellhousings that are not searchable on the website. I could always place an ad in turning wheels too.

Jeff T.

The Replacements.
                      The Replacements.

Comment

Jeff the factory used a engine plate to match the V8 bellhousing and tranny to the sixes for taxi use.

Bell housing 1548859 was used in Y1 sedans with 10.5 inch clutches whether six or V8!

A day of searching found the sixes rear engine plate 1546534 used with standard tranny and 10.5 inch clutch presumably with the above mentioned
                        bellhousing.

3E38
                        4E2
                        4E28
                        5E13
                        7E7
                        8E7
                        8E12
                        8E28

59 Lark
                        etc

Comment

Jeff the factory used a engine plate to match the V8 bellhousing and tranny to the sixes for taxi use.

Bell housing 1548859 was used in Y1 sedans with 10.5 inch clutches whether six or V8!

A day of searching found the sixes rear engine plate 1546534 used with standard tranny and 10.5 inch clutch presumably with the above mentioned
                          bellhousing.

3E38
                          4E2
                          4E28
                          5E13
                          7E7
                          8E7
                          8E12
                          8E28

59 Lark
                          etc

Comment

Jeff my Champ housing has the starter on the upper left side, is 7" deep, bolt holes are 6" across, and 5 3/4" top to bottom. Looks like plenty of room to redrill. NT

Neil Thornton
                            Hazlehurst, GA
                            '57 Silver Hawk
                            '56 Sky Hawk
                            '51 2R16 dump truck
                            Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Jeff my Champ housing has the starter on the upper left side, is 7" deep, bolt holes are 6" across, and 5 3/4" top to bottom. Looks like plenty of room to redrill. NT

Neil Thornton
                              Hazlehurst, GA
                              '57 Silver Hawk
                              '56 Sky Hawk
                              '51 2R16 dump truck
                              Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X