PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Primary & Secondary Shoe Positioning

JoeHall
09-10-2017, 03:14 PM
I am aware the shoe with longest lining goes to the rear, but opted to reverse it today, with the 11" rear drum brakes on the 63GT. The reasoning, about the only place the old liner was worn was on the lower end of the front shoe, on both sides. By putting the longest liner forward, that should put more material where it wears the most.

I recall getting a set of shoes once, that had all four shoes identical, and all were long. It did not make any difference, so I doubt it will make a difference on this car if they are reversed. With flanged axles now, it will be easy to switch them back if there is a problem, but I do not anticipate a problem.

On another note, the newly relined shoes from SI looked encouraging; they were sintered, with some kind of metal fragments. The last set of relined Stude shoes had black, solid colored lining, and were worse than junk, they were dangerous. Keeping my fingers crossed with these.

studegary
09-10-2017, 04:38 PM
I doubt that you will have a problem.
It sounds like the rear were not adjusted correctly. Not just the initial clearance to the drum, but the "vertical" placement (that doesn't really describe what I mean, but you probably know what I am referring to).

Dwain G.
09-10-2017, 07:51 PM
With Studebaker disc brakes, the 11" rear shoes should have the long lining forward.

JoeHall
09-10-2017, 08:51 PM
With Studebaker disc brakes, the 11" rear shoes should have the long lining forward.

Dwain,
Glad to know that. So it seems they were incorrectly installed by the last person, and I inadvertently corrected them. LOL
Thanks,
Joe H