Dana 44 again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 again

Thanks for everyones help on removing the axles from my Dana 44 rear end. The brake drum trick brought them off with no problem.
    I was doing good about, ready to paint, when I noticed extra parts laying on the floor. This did not make me happy. After looking in the chasis manual, and on the internet, I learned that this is the thrust block & pin. The manual shows 1 pin and two thrust blocks, one in each end ( I hope there is 2 blocks and only 1 pin cause I can't find another pin). I also found a previous post telling how to re install these using a coat hanger & brake line self made tool. By the way, this is a Dana 44 limited slip differential. Has anyone done this job? And how did you re-install these parts?
    One more quick question:---There is what looks like a small hole on the side of the differential that looks a little greasy---is this a vent? And if so--is it just a hole in the casting? Regards Dan

Dan,

Yes that little hole,7/32", is the vent hole...make sure it's clean so pressure won't force diff lube past the seals. I've had good luck gluing the "buttons" on the end of the axle. They were originally held together at time of assembly with a roll pin through the thrust block, but those broke. You can use the tube and wire method....it works...but glue is easier.
    Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Thanks Dan---I never thought of glue--sounds like a good idea to me. There is a roll pin in mine. If I understand you correctly, the roll pin is only for assembly and not a required part as long as you can get the thrust blocks into their holes? Thanks again----Regards Dan

Comment

Dan,

Correct you are, OBTW, a 7/32" drill bit is the "tool-of-choice" to use to clean out that vent hole. It grabs the crud in the hole and pulls it out rather than forcing it in the housing.[B)]Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
        Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
        Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Dan----Thanks...Regards Dan

Comment

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
            X