PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Our friend the Powerslide/glide:)

Jeff T.
09-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Knowing full well that I may get lambasted for asking:)

Using the available adapters, can you bolt a Powerglide to a Studebaker V8.

I had a Malibu hardtop in my youth that was a 283/Powerglide and worked fine for me, put it in gear and go. I can find the floor shift parts from GM cars from the sixties. Plus I can find one (or two) locally for 200.00 or less.

Not that I would do it but it never hurts to ask, my daughter wants to drive the Lark when she's old enough

Ok, now for the TH200 fans to toss those over ripe tomatoes:)

Jeff T.

thunderations
09-09-2017, 01:40 PM
I know this is a little off of what you want to do, but........
My 66 Daytona has a Turbo 350 behind the original 283 and it makes the car much nicer to drive then with the original flight o matic.
If adapting to a Studebaker V8, not wanting OD, why not at least go with something even more available and modern? The adapters are pricey and there may be additional parts required to convert to any of the GM auto trans.
Might be cheaper and easier to transplant a Small Block GM engine, (OK,quit yelling at me) and trans into the car instead of just adapting the trans.

T.J. lavallee
09-09-2017, 01:58 PM
If by a Studebaker V8 you are referring to a 259 or 289 not a GM 283 I would suggest using a Borg-Warner Flight-o-matic. That's what was used in the early Larks. They are quite plentiful (I have three of them) as they were used in many different manufacturer's vehicles in the U.S. and extensively in European Truimphs', Jaguars, MG's, ect. They are very reliable and should you need them parts are still readily available. The transmission has three forward speeds as opposed to the GM two speed and you won't need to source adapters.

StudeRich
09-09-2017, 06:16 PM
I am assuming that Jeff's Car already HAS a Flight-O-Matic. :confused:

Mike Van Veghten
09-09-2017, 06:19 PM
If one was to think about it, since most all GM/Chevy first and second generation blocks have the same bolt pattern at the back of the block, that would mean that a T-200, T-200-4R, T-700-R4, T-350, T-400, and yes, both the older cast iron and the newer aluminum Powerglide (missing any ?) will bolt on the back of the Stude engine. As will any of the aftermarket race bread Powerglides.

Then there are the GM, BOP versions of many similar transmissions, along with the GM Switch Pitch version of the T-400. I believe there was a Buick and or Olds version of the Power Glide without a rear pump.

All...will fit.

Mike

gordr
09-10-2017, 01:04 AM
Unless you have a rebuilt Powerglide all wrapped in Cosmoline on a shelf somewhere, once you have the adaptor kit, you had might as well just buy a TH350 or T-200-R4, since they are plentiful. Powerglides are now in the "vintage parts" category same as Flightomatics. It might well cost you more for a two-speed automatic than a 4-speed.

I just pulled a 4L60E tranny out of a '95 Chevy diesel pickup I'm scrapping out. That sucker is heavy. It was all I could do to pick it up off the loader bucket of my tractor, turn on the spot, and slide it into a derelict motor home that I use as a storage bin. And I had removed the converter, too.

bensherb
09-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Unless you have a rebuilt Powerglide all wrapped in Cosmoline on a shelf somewhere, once you have the adaptor kit, you had might as well just buy a TH350 or T-200-R4, since they are plentiful. Powerglides are now in the "vintage parts" category same as Flightomatics. It might well cost you more for a two-speed automatic than a 4-speed.

I just pulled a 4L60E tranny out of a '95 Chevy diesel pickup I'm scrapping out. That sucker is heavy. It was all I could do to pick it up off the loader bucket of my tractor, turn on the spot, and slide it into a derelict motor home that I use as a storage bin. And I had removed the converter, too.

Keep the computer too, that 4L60E is useless without it. The "E" stands for Electronic and it's computer controlled. There are companies currently attempting to come up with a stand alone trans control computer in order to use it in earlier non electronic cars, since the earlier non computer controlled OD autos are becoming difficult to get.

gordr
09-12-2017, 12:02 AM
I know the 4L60E is computer controlled, and I trashed the computer anyway. If that tranny ever gets used, it will go into a vehicle already equipped with the appropriate computer. It ought to work in my '97 gas-burner Suburban, should I ever need it. Since it was out of 4X4 truck, its a poor candidate to use for a hot rod project.