PDA

View Full Version : Brake swap question

lelshaddai
09-08-2017, 05:01 PM
I have a complete set, front and rear brake set up from a 54 Champion. First would these swap out to my 51 Commander? Second is it a better set than what is on the 51 even though it is from a champion?
Jim

r1lark
09-08-2017, 06:33 PM
I would not go thru the trouble of swapping on the smaller Champion brakes, even if they are the later self energizing design. Keep looking for a set of '54 and up V8 brakes. Or go with discs on the front.

And yes, I have experience with both the Champion and V8 brakes, and can attest that there is a BIG difference in stopping power.

lelshaddai
09-08-2017, 06:52 PM
OK then. I have an extra 350 for brand with the newer breaks. Can I swap those on to the rear? And is that OK to have those on the rear and the older style on the front?

lelshaddai
09-08-2017, 06:54 PM
I meant a 354 rearmed with newer style brakes. That's what I get for trying to use my phone to reply.

r1lark
09-08-2017, 09:03 PM
I personally would not want non self-energizing brakes on the front and the self;energizing brakes on the rear. You do t want to be in a situation where the rear brakes lock up early. Would this happen in real life? I don't know, but you wouldn't want to find out in a panic stop when the rear brakes lock up and the back end comes around.

Your car, your money........your life.