PDA

View Full Version : Steering My power steering has gone beserk

JoeW
09-07-2017, 05:55 PM
When I start my 57 Golden Hawk it idles fine and everything seems good. If I barely nudge the steering wheel it swings violently from lock to lock. The power steering pump is a Saginaw and the cylinder and hose setup is like the figure for a 58 C or K on page 429 of the Chassis manual. The production order for the car does not include power steering so it was apparently added later. Since I had the steering components out of the car during restoration I think I must have installed something wrong. I would suspect the hoses might be hooked up wrong but they have different end fittings and seem to be right.
What could cause this strange behavior? Is there some way the control valve (item 1308-79, part 1543247) could be vacillating?

Lynn
09-07-2017, 06:13 PM
I once hooked up the hoses backwards on a 69 or 70 Corvette with the same type of system, and it behaved exactly as you describe. As soon as you would touch the wheel attempting to turn it ever so slightly to the right, it took off to the left until bottoming out and then immediately headed in the other direction. Only way to stop it was turn off the car.

Are you certain the two hoses going to the power cylinder (chevy lingo, don't know what it is called on a Studebaker) are really different sizes? Any chance it is just the hex that is different, and perhaps they interchange?

JoeW
09-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Thanks Lynn. I will see if I can switch the hoses tomorrow. After all, I can't think it could be worse if I did.

57pack
09-07-2017, 08:15 PM
My Wagonaire did the same thing. Nearly took my hand off!
I had attached the cylinder lines incorrectly. Reversed them and power steering returned to normal.

JoeHall
09-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Take it for a quick spin around the block. I bet if you can get it up to 30 MPH or so, it will smooth out.

JoeW
09-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Switching the hoses from the cylinder to the control valve did the trick, but I'm at a loss to explain why. Thanks for your help Lynn and 57pack.

StudeRich
09-12-2017, 05:14 PM
You SHOULD have an Eaton Power Steering Pump with Bendix Power Steering, not a Saginaw for the in steering gear Saginaw Power Steering Gear.

But yes, on a Bendix Power Steering System if you connect the Left Turn Hose to the Right Turn Port in the Ram, it WILL not know which way to turn! :rolleyes:

JoeW
09-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Rich, it is apparently a system added after delivery since power steering is not listed on the production order and the steering control valve looks like it was a 1958 system if I am reading the parts book correctly. Would you anticipate a problem with the pump/control valve being the wrong combination or would it just be an originality issue if judged?

StudeRich
09-12-2017, 06:36 PM
I have never seen any difference in the Control Valve from 1958 to 1966, but as far as I know the wrong Pump should not be an issue mechanically anyway.

After all, they used a GM Pump on the '65 & '66's with all the rest of the major system components the same as the '64's.