Missing/ Hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Missing/ Hesitation

So - I changed the fuel pump and filter. All was good for about 20 minutes. Smoooooth. Now it is running rough and hesitating.

I'm afraid I haven't driven it for about a year, and haven't done a complete tune up in a few years. (other than a minor scouring of the points.)

Since it was running well for about 20 minutes, I am presuming that it was OK with the old non-leaded premium gas and stabilizer. The last fill up was last year.

I'm going to change the plugs first.

What else should I check?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Filing or scouring the points is usually considered a temporary solution to get you home, or until replacement points can be installed. I would start there, along with the rest of a good tune up. You could file them again and see if it improves temporarily to test my theory.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Try loosening your gas cap and do another run....
      (Hey, it's a free test)
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
        So - I changued the fuel pump and filter. All was good for about 20 minutes. Smoooooth. Now it is running rough and hesitating.

I'm afraid I haven't driven it for about a year, and haven't done a complete tune up in a few years. (other than a minor scouring of the points.)

Since it was running well for about 20 minutes, I am presuming that it was OK with the old non-leaded premium gas and stabilizer. The last fill up was last year.

I'm going to change the plugs first.

What else should I check?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
        I would change the gas first. This new gas does not last long before going bad.
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

With a new fuel pump providing more fuel pressure, the float valve in the carb bowl may be allowing extra fuel in, raising the fuel level and flooding, causing a rough idle and thus, the hesitation.
          Time to do a complete tune up, electrically, and possibly rebuild the carb. New kits will have seals and seats that are compatible with today's excuse for gasoline.
          Last years fuel, even with stabilizer should be diluted with lots of fresh fuel.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Can you SEE into the Old Fuel Filter or cut it open to find out if you had contamination in the system?
            Maybe you have clogged the Fuel Pump or Carb. up again with "Junk".
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions.

The roughness is uniform which leads me to suspect plugs.

It was running very smoothly for about 20 minutes with the old gas. The old gas was premium non-ethanol with stabilizer. The new fuel filter is see through. No junk. Not gas cap - was hoping.

I will look again and replace the points. Even though I'm 6'3" I find it tough to reach, see, then set them correctly.

I'll keep plugging away. Working towards a Saturday drive.

Comment

Working...
              X