Things keep turning up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things keep turning up

I'm developing a new respect to you guys who have maintained and sold parts throughout the years. I'm now realizing, it's much easier to buy, and store a few parts through the years, than to maintain an inventory list, price list, pack, haul, unpack, vend, load back up, haul it back home, only to repeat the process time and time again.

What I'm discovering, is that it is awfully easy to overlook how much stuff accumulates. As I'm gathering parts for a meet this weekend, I keep uncovering stuff I either forgot about, or don't recall having. Today's find, was a NOS heater core. I'm not going to post the part number here, 'cause after doing that with another part, a couple of days ago, I have several private messages wanting me to sell it to them. That's not such a bad thing, but not being a professional parts expert, I need to do some research to be fair to potential customers, and myself. Using the SI parts catalog for reference, I see where they are pricing the heater core for over $300, and will not sell one without a core in exchange. I've also found a dual headlight bucket assembly, complete with sealed beams.

There were several occasions where I purchased parts in "lots." Back then, I was busy in my job, attending to family, and engaged in my own restoration projects. I put the parts in storage, usually only visited when needing something for my projects. Some of the stuff came from back rooms at a few antique shops, where the proprietor was tired of moving them from corner to corner. I bought some, and acquired others for merely loading them up and hauling them away. That "someday"...that I was going to "organize" never came. But if I don't do something, there will be another widow, helplessly staring at a pile of clutter she shouldn't have to deal with.

This "vending" stuff, takes work. But, I'm not so discouraged to the point of "selling out," for Pennies on the dollar...not yet.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Today's surprise find, was an NOS front chassis wiring harness for a 1963 Hawk! Only one problem...the part number is 1558777, which is for a 1963 SIX cylinder HAWK??? I believe I have read that six cylinder GT Hawks were made for export. I have never seen one myself. Besides having a wire for a tachometer, what other difference would there be between a six cylinder or a V8 Hawk that would cause a separate harness???

I found some other pretty neat stuff. A couple of chrome circular ornament rings for a '58 Packard Hawk, and a good many NOS lens for various vehicles. I completely wore this day out. Hope to see some of you at the Maggie Valley N.C. Tri State Meet this weekend.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I would think that a major difference in a Chassis Wiring Harness 6 cyl. vs. V-8 would be the alternator location.

Comment

Working...
      X