Shock absorber numbers for 78 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock absorber numbers for 78 Avanti

Put new tires on my 78 Avanti and the fronts are getting flat spots. I am thinking it's from bad shocks. I just ordered twoKYB 343127 shocks for the front (I hope those are the right ones).
    i presently have air shocks on the back but they aren't holding the pressure so I think they need replacing. I don't think they need to be replaced with air shocks but not sure. Can someone give me advice on the rear shocks?
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

Flat-spotting on tires can come from being out of balance. The worse the flat-spotting gets the worse the balance gets as well.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

These were brand new tires that were balanced when installed and the flat spots were noticed after only about one to two hundred miles.
      Avantidave
      1978 Avanti II

Comment

Hi Gunslinger, you have been helpful to me in the past with your knowledge. I read your response to my tire problem and responded that the tire balance was good. I have been trying to find out the numbers and manufacturer ( or where to find ) rear shocks to replace the leaking air shocks on my 78 Avanti. I also need to find what to get for the front brake pads and rear shoes. You are the only one that responded to my post. Surely someone out there can tell me what to get and where. You are one of the most knowlegable people on the site so i thought i wouls ask you directly. These forums used to be so much help but not as many people respond any more. I have a Corvair and went on their form to find someone to do engine work and didn't even get one response. Ii hope people don't stop using this important communication.
        Dave
        Avantidave
        1978 Avanti II

Comment

This should get you where you need to go. http://www.northstarwheel.com/resources/interchange.pdf

Generally, when it comes to parts like brakes, shocks, etc. You won't get a lot of answers as we have a darn good pool of supplier that provide parts at decent prices. Nostalgic Motors is near and dear to my heart as Dan Booth bought out the Avanti operation, has most of what one needs and is helpful as hell with the installation.

That doesn't mean I go there all the time as I change the heck out of my Avanti's but it's good to keep them in business.

As an aside, Google is helpful too. Bob

Comment

There's really two ways to check your shocks to see if they're bad (outside of tire wear). You can physically check them to see if they're leaking or start rocking the car by using up and down on the fender a couple of times then let go. If the fender goes down and up and then stops, they should be good. If the car keeps rocking the shocks are definitely bad. That's the classic ways of looking at how good the shocks are.

I don't have a number for rear shocks but units from a 1982-1992 Camaro/Firebird can be adapted to work. The cross-pin needs to be replaced with longer ones to fit properly and safely. I'm not sure I'd keep air shocks on it depending on why you have them. Air shocks are made to keep the car level when towing or some other temporary heavy load. If your leaf springs are weak, air shocks are not a solution. The springs are designed to carry the weight of the car...not the shocks. If the air shocks are carrying too heavy a load it can stress the shock mountings and brackets and reduce the life of the shocks themselves.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I use Gabriel classic gas shocks . They work great and are relatively cheap. Gabriel has Avanti/Studebaker applications and part numbers in the catalog. Check their web site.
              james r pepper

Comment

I have researched this till I'm blue in the face and have ended up (from multiple sources) with Gabriel 82103 shocks for the rear. Gabriel lists them as fitting a 63 and 64 Avanti but everywhere I looked they also fit up to 83. Surprisingly they are very reasonable at $20 each. Thanks to the Studebaker forum I got the information I needed. Thanks.
                Avantidave
                1978 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
                X