Neat Barrett-Jackson moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat Barrett-Jackson moment

I always watch the majority of the B-J broadcast; I record most all of it and watch it piecemeal, because I do love the cars. I confess I get annoyed sometimes and fast-forward through cars I'd love but are being bid to 10 times their actual value But it's still worth it to me to see the cars[]

Here's the neat moment: Tony Stewart brought one of his actual race cars to be auctioned- complete as last raced, and drove it onto the block. He bought it from Gibbs racing just to auction it, and donate anything raised to Darrell Gwynn's charity, which among other things buys wheelchairs for kids. The car was on the block being bid up; among the bidders was Craig Jackson, the owner of B-J, who bid $250K. At that point Tony stepped in and added one of his actual suit and helmet sets to throw in. The bidding continued, and Ron Pratt, a major collector, had jumped the bid from $275K to $300K, and that's where it was. Tony then interrupted the bidding and offered to throw in the $25K Championship ring he was wearing if someone would bid that much more! The auctioneer continued and no one bid any more; at which point Craig Jackson said he'd throw in the $25K extra and to award the whole package to Ron for the $300K he had bid. Right then another collector (whose name escapes me) tossed in $50K more, and Reggie Jackson wandered over and threw in $10K more- total of $385K for the Darrell Gwynn Foundation. It was then announced that when Darrell had arrived earlier, Ron Pratt had walked over and given him a donation on his own of $100K! And of course, B-J waives all fees for the charity auction.

I know- the cynics among us will write it all off to staged showmanship. And while some of that may be true, I feel I saw some rich, famous, and rich and famous people getting caught up in the spirit of the cause and go far beyond what was needed! These folks have plenty of opportunities to get their egos stroked, and they don't really need more; but even if that's the case, the fact remains that they did give a pretty huge chunk of money away[^]

I get tired of watching drunken rich sots with their big jewelry and really bad toupees splashing their drinks on the stage and mugging it up for the cameras and for Amy Assiter while they bid way too much and not even knowing what they're buying. I also HATE what the whole B-J spectacle has done to the hobby as it relates to values of old cars. But like anything else, there is good in anything if you're willing to look. For me it's mostly been the cars themselves.

But after seeing the charity auction, I know something else good about it[^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

You know, there are a lot of people who really don't give Tony Stewart the respect he deserves. He's kinda crusty sometimes, but beneath that crust, well, you know the story ... that heart of his is pure, solid gold!

As a general rule, I'm in full agreement with you, Bob, on B-J; I usually just mute the TV when I get sick of all the jabbering and just look at the pretty cars!!! [)]

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

You know, there are a lot of people who really don't give Tony Stewart the respect he deserves. He's kinda crusty sometimes, but beneath that crust, well, you know the story ... that heart of his is pure, solid gold!

As a general rule, I'm in full agreement with you, Bob, on B-J; I usually just mute the TV when I get sick of all the jabbering and just look at the pretty cars!!! [)]

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

I am surprised all you "frugal" Stude owners have cable, I for one still carry the CASO torch and use my rabbit ears.

Decimal Dude (counting the dollars saved with no cable)

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

I am surprised all you "frugal" Stude owners have cable, I for one still carry the CASO torch and use my rabbit ears.

Decimal Dude (counting the dollars saved with no cable)

http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Bob, I watched the whole thing as you did and I also was touchedby what I saw as it was in my opinion the highlight of last night. Tony Stewart is a COMPETITOR and wantd to win so yes he is crusty at times but as you say he has a heart of gold and is truly thankful for what has been provided to him. I am sure Joe Gibbs has had a major impact on him and his life as he is the finest person I have ever met and when I set and talked with him several years ago at the Nazareth Motor Speedway it was if he had known me for a long time when indeed I had just met him. What I find very interesting is the fact Ron Pratt donated a $100K ti Darrell and then also bought the car for another $300K. Another class act and a highlight of this entire auction in my eyes.

Also did you see Ron Pratt let I think his grandson bid on and buy the Kiaser-Darrien for $150K? That was another class act on his part. Yes, the bpy signed for the purchase too.

See you in the future as I write about our past
            sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Bob, I watched the whole thing as you did and I also was touchedby what I saw as it was in my opinion the highlight of last night. Tony Stewart is a COMPETITOR and wantd to win so yes he is crusty at times but as you say he has a heart of gold and is truly thankful for what has been provided to him. I am sure Joe Gibbs has had a major impact on him and his life as he is the finest person I have ever met and when I set and talked with him several years ago at the Nazareth Motor Speedway it was if he had known me for a long time when indeed I had just met him. What I find very interesting is the fact Ron Pratt donated a $100K ti Darrell and then also bought the car for another $300K. Another class act and a highlight of this entire auction in my eyes.

Also did you see Ron Pratt let I think his grandson bid on and buy the Kiaser-Darrien for $150K? That was another class act on his part. Yes, the bpy signed for the purchase too.

See you in the future as I write about our past
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Its amazing what you will do for grandchildren. If I were rich just think what Matthew could have!! Anything but my old Silver Hawk. NT

Neil Thornton
                Hazlehurst, GA
                '57 Silver Hawk
                '56 Sky Hawk
                '51 2R16 dump truck
                Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Its amazing what you will do for grandchildren. If I were rich just think what Matthew could have!! Anything but my old Silver Hawk. NT

Neil Thornton
                  Hazlehurst, GA
                  '57 Silver Hawk
                  '56 Sky Hawk
                  '51 2R16 dump truck
                  Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Tony Stewart is this generation's AJ Foyt. Love him or hate him, we'd be poorer without him.

Comment

Tony Stewart is this generation's AJ Foyt. Love him or hate him, we'd be poorer without him.

Comment

Robet writes:"I know- the cynics among us will write it all off to staged showmanship. And while some of that may be true, I feel I saw some rich, famous, and rich and famous people getting caught up in the spirit of the cause and go far beyond what was needed! These folks have plenty of opportunities to get their egos stroked, and they don't really need more; but even if that's the case, the fact remains that they did give a pretty huge chunk of money away."

Not to throw water on this, but I participated in Kruse auctions in the 70s as well as another of these purveyors of "collectible" autos (the name of which excapes me nowdays). I was privy to much of the staging that went into the higher buck offerings. Heh - would you BELIEVE - there were cars sold at these "events" that didn't REALLY sell?? Wha? An auction that really isn't one??? [:0] Blasphemy!

These auctions are about giving the very wealthy another outlet for their egos. Even if the donors had a spur-of-the-moment impulse to toss in more than had been rehearsed, it was because, unlike nose-grinders like myself and my spouse, they don't have to consult their checking accounts to see if they can execute such an inspired gesture!
                        I mean, think about it from a practical perspective. Any of these mega-buck muscle cars..... would you REALLY get a multi-6-figure feeling in your pants if you could own and drive one??? Having had the rare privledge of driving quite a broad cross-section of automotive artifacts (from brand new Aston-Martin DBSV8s to teens Speedsters and anything in between - and I mean DRIVE them, not just back them in and out of a shop stall) when I worked for the collector car outlet (craftily named Classic Car Investments),I'd be quick to point out that there's some really cool rides around for way less money. Some of them, like our Studes, are practically laughed at as a serious contender for any image of worth. And it's worth a chuckle to note that examples of these supreme motor monuments (muscle cars) are summarily dissed by drivers (sometimes amature drivers) of hot Studes at the ongoing PSMCDs.
                        No doubt, the charities that benefit from such gratuitous moments, would exhibit high praise and the wooed observers will go "Awwwwwww" while BJ execs will be beaming with pride and a freshly-shined badge of image.[8D] But, I'm just a cyical ol' fart. What do I know?[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Robet writes:"I know- the cynics among us will write it all off to staged showmanship. And while some of that may be true, I feel I saw some rich, famous, and rich and famous people getting caught up in the spirit of the cause and go far beyond what was needed! These folks have plenty of opportunities to get their egos stroked, and they don't really need more; but even if that's the case, the fact remains that they did give a pretty huge chunk of money away."

Not to throw water on this, but I participated in Kruse auctions in the 70s as well as another of these purveyors of "collectible" autos (the name of which excapes me nowdays). I was privy to much of the staging that went into the higher buck offerings. Heh - would you BELIEVE - there were cars sold at these "events" that didn't REALLY sell?? Wha? An auction that really isn't one??? [:0] Blasphemy!

These auctions are about giving the very wealthy another outlet for their egos. Even if the donors had a spur-of-the-moment impulse to toss in more than had been rehearsed, it was because, unlike nose-grinders like myself and my spouse, they don't have to consult their checking accounts to see if they can execute such an inspired gesture!
                          I mean, think about it from a practical perspective. Any of these mega-buck muscle cars..... would you REALLY get a multi-6-figure feeling in your pants if you could own and drive one??? Having had the rare privledge of driving quite a broad cross-section of automotive artifacts (from brand new Aston-Martin DBSV8s to teens Speedsters and anything in between - and I mean DRIVE them, not just back them in and out of a shop stall) when I worked for the collector car outlet (craftily named Classic Car Investments),I'd be quick to point out that there's some really cool rides around for way less money. Some of them, like our Studes, are practically laughed at as a serious contender for any image of worth. And it's worth a chuckle to note that examples of these supreme motor monuments (muscle cars) are summarily dissed by drivers (sometimes amature drivers) of hot Studes at the ongoing PSMCDs.
                          No doubt, the charities that benefit from such gratuitous moments, would exhibit high praise and the wooed observers will go "Awwwwwww" while BJ execs will be beaming with pride and a freshly-shined badge of image.[8D] But, I'm just a cyical ol' fart. What do I know?[V]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Tony Stewart made a paid appearance at our area dirt track 2 summers ago. He won the pole position. On the parade lap he had to "go in the pits" for an equipment adjustment(wink). He had to start last in a field of 24 cars. He managed to finish third! That is no small feat in dirt track. I stood in the 4th turn and every time he cut the same path for 50 laps. He was hooked up so well that his left front tire lifted off of the track about 6" on every lap. He has gobs of talent. One of my favorites. He let the local boys win the race becuase he had already been paid appearance money and had nothing to prove.

Comment

Tony Stewart made a paid appearance at our area dirt track 2 summers ago. He won the pole position. On the parade lap he had to "go in the pits" for an equipment adjustment(wink). He had to start last in a field of 24 cars. He managed to finish third! That is no small feat in dirt track. I stood in the 4th turn and every time he cut the same path for 50 laps. He was hooked up so well that his left front tire lifted off of the track about 6" on every lap. He has gobs of talent. One of my favorites. He let the local boys win the race becuase he had already been paid appearance money and had nothing to prove.

Comment

Working...
                              X