PDA

View Full Version : Steering Steering column through firewall seal

53commander
09-05-2017, 02:59 PM
For my '53 Commander I have a new rubber steering column seal but in the book it seems to also show another piece. It's referred to as "Grommet, Steering Post Dash w/o P/S. Part number 298804. So my question is would this be another seal between the rubber seal and firewall? Does it mount inside or outside? Can I fabricate something and what's it made of?

Thanks,
Rich

StudeRich
09-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Doesn't your Manual Steering Section of your Chassis Parts Catalog SHOW a good Picture/Drawing of the Seal in question?
That would not only show it's shape, but also it's Location. ;)

53commander
09-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Doesn't your Manual Steering Section of your Chassis Parts Catalog SHOW a good Picture/Drawing of the Seal in question?
That would not only show it's shape, but also it's Location. ;)

Problem is the car is an hour away along with all the manuals. All I have with me is a '55-58 Chassis book and I don't see anything under steering. I know these questions might seem trivial but I only have a few days every couple months to actually work on the car so I like to have all the info I can before I work on it. Last weekend all work stopped because I didn't have the right starter solenoid or shift linkage. That is the only thing hanging me up from moving the car under it's own power. So now I don't want to do the final install on the column if I can't be sure it's all correct. Trust me I only ask when I'm stumped, you guys would run me outta here if I asked every question I had ;)

StudeRich
09-05-2017, 09:28 PM
OK, the '53-'58 Body Parts Catalog says: Picture 2339-8 is the "Seal and Collar" for '53 it's 298802X1, '54-'56 = 306910X1

The "Grommet" is actually the SAME Large square shape as the rubber Seal & Collar, but appears to be a Fiber or Foam Insulation/sound, heat Seal.
the 2339-6 = 298804 for '53 and the 310146 is for '54-'56.
ALL without Power Steering on C & K.

The reason there are SO many different shapes of these, other than P/S or not, is the notch-out in the upper corner for the different Parking Brake locations thru the years.

doofus
09-06-2017, 07:14 AM
Rich, my last 2 driver,s got a seal made from jute under padding for carpet. sandwiched between the rubber column seal and the firewall. Luck Doofus

tim333
09-06-2017, 05:11 PM
I had a rather large opening on my 57 Commander. Put a piece of cardboard on the inside for temporary backing and sprayed the stuff the guy advertises to stop leaks on a screen door-bottomed boat, dried nice and hard. Looks good cuz it's black and no more air or water leaks thru the firewall at the steering column.

skyway
09-06-2017, 06:14 PM
I sorta hate to admit that in the 1970's we used to buy NOS ones, and make a cut thru the rubber and metal core, so's to slip them over the column.

53commander
09-06-2017, 11:37 PM
Rich, my last 2 driver,s got a seal made from jute under padding for carpet. sandwiched between the rubber column seal and the firewall. Luck Doofus

I had a rather large opening on my 57 Commander. Put a piece of cardboard on the inside for temporary backing and sprayed the stuff the guy advertises to stop leaks on a screen door-bottomed boat, dried nice and hard. Looks good cuz it's black and no more air or water leaks thru the firewall at the steering column.

Two very good ideas, thanks.

I sorta hate to admit that in the 1970's we used to buy NOS ones, and make a cut thru the rubber and metal core, so's to slip them over the column.

Saves the hassle of removing the column anyway. Lucky for me my column is only loosely bolted in until I'm sure it's right.