PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irma Prep - Are You Ready?

DEEPNHOCK
09-05-2017, 02:24 PM
My local (SE GA) TV station also has a Facebook page, and they started talking about getting ready and making plans.
My first thought was... (A) You should ALREADY have a plan. And (B) You should already be ready.

Having ridden out many storms in Florida and Georgia.... You can't get ready soon enough.
And today's problem in the SE is gasoline. Went to my three favorite no alcohol gasoline places.. All 3 have no pure gas.
Pipeline being shut down in Houston has all stations running E-10.

But... I topped off all our equipment this morning, and then went to town to re-fill the gas cans...Off road diesel, too.

Finished off a small fence building project behind the workshop.
Done for the upcoming Deep-N-Hock Open House on the 23rd, so it was really a 'clean your room' type project.
Glad to have the back tidied up, so I'll say it was hurricane prep:rolleyes:.

Test ran both generators. Put everything on the trickle chargers...
Even filled some of the extra gallon jugs, and put them in the shop fridge...

https://i.imgur.com/f5Ziv5h.jpg

Chris Pile
09-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Let's hope Irma decides to continue her ocean cruise and heads for the north Atlantic.

jts359
09-05-2017, 03:27 PM
We are watching its path , after Sandy hit us pretty hard 5 years ago I watch the storms a little more carefully , We took our boat 30 miles south this weekend and rode our bikes to a town called Holgate , They really got nailed by Sandy , anyway there is a wall of sand about 25ft high where beaches used to be , you could see the stratification of the earths crust in that wall ,it was weird , I doubled the lines on the boat today and if it gets closer I will do more preventive measures up to pulling it from the water, Ed

JRoberts
09-05-2017, 05:16 PM
I finding myself wanting the hurricane in question to go in a direction that misses us....then I stop an think if that happens somebody else gets nailed. Let's all hunker down, prepare ourselves and hold on.

shifter4
09-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Here on the Mid Fla. East coast , we still have some left over Matthew damage from 11 months ago. Not a huge amount , but still here .
We are also having a vigorous building binge ( mini-Bubble? )happening , so it has been difficult for many people to find a contractor to do repairs from
Hurricane Matthew .

Now we have Irma coming .
I spent much of yesterday doing prep , and all day today too . Tomorrow I'll finish what I can , and try to make decisions about what to do . I live within sight of the Intracoastal Waterway and can hear the ocean surf at night and in the AM on many days . I also have ancient overhanging Live Oaks , so a nervous time indeed . I do have about 15' of elevation , and my 80 yr old house sits up on concrete piers , so there's that....... I was 7 days last year w/o power , and expect at least that again .
Not a lot of choices about running off somewhere , if millions hit the road in a short time span , and fuel is short already .
Just got off the phone with my stepson , an FHP officer , and he is on the West coast , so we are trying to plan out for whichever way each of us may have to go , depending on which
coast the storm comes up . They have a baby , and a grandma there , but he will be on duty of course . Nervous time ...

Swifster
09-05-2017, 09:51 PM
OK, I'm on the 3rd floor of an apartment building on the West Coast of Florida (Bradenton). If Irma even winks at us, I'm heading for Atlanta. Most of my Studebaker stuff is in storage in Michigan. I'm packing a duffle bag tonight, some odds and ends tomorrow that are considered unreplaceable and my cats whenever it's time to leave. Everything else is replaceable.

JRoberts
09-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Some parts of North Carolina still have damage from Matthew to contend with as well.

64studeavanti
09-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Tom,
I live just North of you in Sundance (5 miles north of Parish) on 301. We plan on getting this house secure due to possible flooding and heading to another house we own in Valrico where we weathered the hurricanes in 2004, 2005.

Please don't wait too long to decide to leave
The Keys are under mandatory evacuation beginning tomorrow - so I95 will be a parking lot and the surplus will spill over to I75. If you decide to go, i would leave by Thursday morning at the latest.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

DEEPNHOCK
09-06-2017, 07:39 AM
For the people that decide to travel to safer ground. Please be careful.
Not everybody is skilled at getting out of harms way.
The hurricane Harvey lesson seems to happen over and over again.
If it looks bad. Get out. Get out early.
If you are going to hunker down. Prep for no services and utilities.
Some of my worst post hurricane moments in Florida were from storms that were nowhere near my property.
But when the electrical grid goes down, and your entire local service crew is a few hundred miles away helping others.
You WILL be without power for days on end.
And if you are without power, chances are you will be without water. If you can't flush...You can't stay.

We are 60+ miles from the coast (about 40 miles from downtown Savannah).. We got scraped by the NW quadrant of Matthew.
Had some 58 mph winds that screwed up the tree's, and my neighbor's roof shingles ended up by my house (He's 1/4 mile away)..
So we were lucky. But our power was out for almost 6 days. Have two generators. One went out on a loaner circuit to the neighbors.
Our house became the laundry and shower mecca for quite a few friends.
Preparation sure does help. If you get wiped out...Well, you get wiped out.. But just being without power is such a pita.
On the positive side... It does draw your neighborhood together.

Buzzard
09-06-2017, 10:52 AM
And we are still dealing with wildfire threats here in British Columbia. My US Army 10 WD Firetruck is full (3500 gallons) and right now I can't see across our valley due to thick smoke. Friends near by (40 minutes away) are evacuated and others are on alert(15 minutes notice to get out). Summer 2017 has been hell for many of us. We get occasional wind gusts of 30-50 MPH. I can't imagine what 185 is like.
Good Luck to all of you staying prepared and safe.
Bill

DEEPNHOCK
09-06-2017, 11:29 AM
Hang in there....

And we are still dealing with wildfire threats here in British Columbia. My US Army 10 WD Firetruck is full (3500 gallons) and right now I can't see across our valley due to thick smoke. Friends near by (40 minutes away) are evacuated and others are on alert(15 minutes notice to get out). Summer 2017 has been hell for many of us. We get occasional wind gusts of 30-50 MPH. I can't imagine what 185 is like.
Bill

DEEPNHOCK
09-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Crap-ola..... Not looking good at all...

(copy)
Savannah is now in the official forecast cone for Hurricane #Irma. South Florida could take a direct hit from a Cat 4 or 5. Timing the north turn will be CRITICAL to determining impacts for Georgia and South Carolina.

Keep in mind, Irma could track all the way on the left side of that cone, all the right on the right side, or somewhere in the middle and this will greatly affect what we ultimately see or don't see from this storm.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21430322_1168109099956169_4378244624149564110_n.jpg?oh=30d14873cf70155d56f9c46b0 d7d52f1&oe=5A1F35FE

sweetolbob
09-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Best wishes and be safe to all you folks on both sides of the continent. We are luckily isolated enough to not usually see the devastating storms/fires that ravage other parts of the country. We are usually only down for a day or two when wet snow and wind bring down power lines. Last spring I invested in a 7500 watt dual fuel (gas/Propane) generator to replace the gas only one that was consuming it's alternator. That gives me the use of gas stations that remain open and the large propane tank that sets behind the polebarn.

Again best, Bob

Commander Eddie
09-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Fire here in Oregon/Washington and water in the south and southeast. If we could just get them together and cancel each other out we would be fine. I am tired of breathing smoke here in the Portland area.

345 DeSoto
09-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Our Cherokee has a generator, five empty 5 gallon gas cans, water, canned goods, chain saw/tools, flashlights/batteries, clothing, and guns packed and ready to head South on Friday...if necessary.

Colgate Studebaker
09-06-2017, 10:01 PM
We're watching to see what path it takes, ready to head out when it is clear which way it is going. If it comes up the east side of the state we will head for Birmingham, if it comes up the west side or central we will head to Jeff's place. Or somewhere up the east coast, see you on the 23rd weekend Jeff. For all I know we may end up in Wisconsin. Bill

DEEPNHOCK
09-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Just be real careful. This is a mean one.
I learned a long time ago not to blindly run away from a hurricane. They will chase you.
So far my shop and yard cleanup for the open house has turned into a head start on hurricane prep.
Been loading the shop with all the yard stuff. Stuffing everything in the shop I can.
Last path prediction I saw said the eye would be crossing near my place at about 3:30 on Monday.
So that means things here will start heading downhill later Saturday.
They are saying the wind speed Monday afternoon should be down to 120mph.
That really scares me....

So, If everything is still here on the 23rd, we'll have some fun...... Hoping to have some fun...

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/AL11_current.png

We're watching to see what path it takes, ready to head out when it is clear which way it is going. If it comes up the east side of the state we will head for Birmingham, if it comes up the west side or central we will head to Jeff's place. Or somewhere up the east coast, see you on the 23rd weekend Jeff. For all I know we may end up in Wisconsin. Bill

JRoberts
09-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Path may have changed (I don't believe anything is absolute until it hits you or by-passes you) going to Atlanta and on thought the mountains and into Tennessee. Looks like the mountains of South Carolina, North Carollina and Tennessee will get hit by a reduced storm leaving eastern North Carolina and northeastern South Carolina relatively unscathed. Of course not that I have said that thing will change to the east.:eek:

DEEPNHOCK
09-08-2017, 07:31 AM
The southeast has gone nutz (and rightfully so).
I-95 and I-75 are bumper to bumper for the entire state.
Atlanta is where most are going because it has the most motel rooms.
Everything east of I-95 is being evacuated near Savannah.
Storm track runs straight over my place, and on to Columbia, SC and then NW.
The Tri State Meet people should be REAL careful as this is going to dump on them Tuesday.
So Florida/GA Tri State Meet travelers from Florida should stay put until after it has passed, and even then they should think thrice about heading back south with the throng of people going back home.
I cannot imagine a Studebaker being happy in a multi million car traffic jam when there is no gas, no motels, and no help.
Please be careful....

Path may have changed (I don't believe anything is absolute until it hits you or by-passes you) going to Atlanta and on thought the mountains and into Tennessee. Looks like the mountains of South Carolina, North Carollina and Tennessee will get hit by a reduced storm leaving eastern North Carolina and northeastern South Carolina relatively unscathed. Of course not that I have said that thing will change to the east.:eek:

DEEPNHOCK
09-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Track has moved west as of a few minutes ago.

http://www.thesky973.com/sites/g/files/giy1281/f/styles/nts_image_cover_tall_775x425/public/Irma%202a%2009082017.jpg?itok=TFSQxBCQ&c=7bd7cfe58c873e3bc25729e829bdfa1a

FleetMaster68
09-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Deepnhock, thank you for being a message bearer and alerting people to the pending huricane and your experience of just how bad it will be. Not everyone watches the weather as well as we do. Florida, if track as of Friday early AM holds, is in for the storm of a lifetime, from tip to top. Prayers to all who will be affected. Be smart, be safe.

DEEPNHOCK
09-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Heck... I am no expert. But I have been in a few hurricanes....None were real bad ones. either.
This one IS REAL BAD.
And with IDYSD on Saturday, the southeast is going to be a mess with traffic.
So (in the SE), drive your Stude out you the garage, clean your garage, take a pic, pull your Stude back in the garage, and wrap it up until after this the next two hurricanes have passed.
Better safe than sorry.

Deepnhock, thank you for being a message bearer and alerting people to the pending huricane and your experience of just how bad it will be. Not everyone watches the weather as well as we do. Florida, if track as of Friday early AM holds, is in for the storm of a lifetime, from tip to top. Prayers to all who will be affected. Be smart, be safe.

junior
09-08-2017, 09:29 AM

X2 ...if you're planning on riding it out, hang on tight! This appears to be a nasty, nasty hurricane. Hopefully most people in its path do not underestimate its potential.

jclary
09-08-2017, 10:08 AM
My earliest memories of Hurricanes are more of big rain events rather than the wind of those living in coastal and "flat-land" regions. Living in the western hills of the Carolinas, most of the hurricanes have been fairly well weakened by the time they make it this far inland. (Hugo & a couple other exceptions) While I have done a couple of things in preparation, I am not taking extraordinary panic measures. Hurricanes, tornadoes, warm/cold fronts, blizzards, earthquakes, volcanoes...are all part of the big orb we inhabit. You can only run and hide so far. Live on a hill (like me), and you can get blown off. Live down in the hollow, get flooded (or buried under all the rubble from those blown off the hill). I have always known, the old shed I keep my cars under, could under the right conditions, tumble in on them. The other utility buildings, where my life of collecting & tinkering resides, could be reduced to rubble in the blink of an eye.

These huge cataclysmic events seem to be the earth's "reset" button. For many in the path, it leaves bewildered and destroyed...others, bewildered but resolved overcome, rebuild, and thrive. Another result, I'll be interested in following, will be the southeast's winter weather patterns in the next few years. Back in the late '50's, we had some tropical storms dump huge volumes of water. The following winters, the area had winter snows that shut us down for days. Right on through the '60's into early '70's.

OH...and not to turn "preachy," or to irritate those who question the existence of a creator, but these events seem to serve as a call to "humility," to recognize we are not kings of the planet...but a speck of life, who has to live within it's nature the same as the most delicate humming bird. So, I have taken some safety measures, read 2nd Chronicles 7:14, said my prayers, still planning on my little jaunt to Maggie Valley, and proceed in Faith. I know who's in control.:) (It ain't me)

Scott
09-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Fire here in Oregon/Washington and water in the south and southeast. If we could just get them together and cancel each other out we would be fine. I am tired of breathing smoke here in the Portland area.
I know what you mean. In Medford it's been hazardous even for healthy people some days. Today is better and night before last we got some rain for the first time since August 9 (not unusual). I can hardly imagine what a blue sky looks like anymore - even though most of our days are cloudless!

Buzzard
09-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Jeez Jeff-I googled mapped you = -Holy crap you are in for a heap of oh "what the hell happened"?.
God please stay safe you and your family.
We are with you my friend. Stay safe!!!
Bill

Swifster
09-08-2017, 10:54 PM
The car is 95% packed. Leaving in the morning. I wish everyone in harms way luck and safety...

jclary
09-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Ok... I left home today at a little before 4 pm. Headed out to the Tri State meet in Maggie Valley. Normally an hour & half trip. Things went great until I got to I-26. That's when I discovered the population of Florida and Georgia had turned it into a huge parking lot. I arrived here at about 7pm. So far, looks like we're gonna have good attendance. I expect to be back home before the rain starts.

Keeping all in my prayers. The next few days are going to get quite interesting.

DEEPNHOCK
09-09-2017, 07:06 AM
The newest track has moverd further west..again.
All those people that ran to Atlanta may get a surprise.
The owners of Atlanta Motor Speedway have opened up their facilities to people who are stranded. Nice of them.
Hope it does'nt get too bad over there..

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT11/refresh/AL112017_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind+png/095407_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Colgate Studebaker
09-09-2017, 01:54 PM
As I said before, we waited till the storm made it's turn northward to make the decision of stay or go. We are staying here, so it will be interesting to see what happens. No worries about flooding or water intrusion, we're 95 feet above sea level and about 20 miles inland. The wind is what scares us, only 1 big pine tree to worry about falling on the buildings. The fact that how long would it be to return if we left is what swayed us to stay. Generator is ready to go as are the chain saw and other pieces needed to clean up. Lots of water (bathtubs and buckets) for sanitary use, pantry is full of provisions and bottled water and other beverages are plentiful. The storm is tracking right over us, should be CAT3, so we'll see what happens. Jeff, you're going to get some effects also, so be safe too! Bill.

sweetolbob
09-09-2017, 03:05 PM
Good luck Bill, Keep us updated, if possible. Bob

DEEPNHOCK
09-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Long day today.. Weather is slowly changing.
Prep work is almost all done. Just have to take down all the hanging plants and put them in the end stall of the barn.
Everything is ready to be parked in the workshop.
Watching the weather closely...

Swifster
09-09-2017, 07:20 PM
I left at 6AM and arrived at my motel at 6PM in Mobile. My cats weren't happy... The trip wasn't too bad except for a 20 mile stretch west of Tallahassee. That includes a quick stop at the auto museum in Tallahassee to see the Tucker.

BobPalma
09-09-2017, 09:06 PM
:( 'Scary stuff, guys. :eek: Y'all stay safe and the Yankees will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. :) BP

DEEPNHOCK
09-10-2017, 07:32 AM
The edge of this storm has arrived at our place in SE GA.
Pretty amazing when you know the eye of the storm is still south of Key west.
That is 663 miles from my house...and that is just half the diameter of this storm...

ClayBelt
09-10-2017, 09:38 AM
Bout to get it here in Tallahassee if the winds are anything to go off of.

swvalcon
09-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Jeff . Button down and stay safe. We want to see you at the next SDC national meet. Steve.

Colgate Studebaker
09-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Rain bands have started, winds not bad at all (yet), drove to the shop (3 1/2 miles) and grabbed another chain saw and gas. Roads are deserted and looks like everyone is hunkered down or gone. The worst should be here overnight and tomorrow morning, so as long as the power holds on I'll try to keep all informed. Thanks for everyone's concerns, Bill.

doublepaddle
09-10-2017, 12:35 PM
I am all buttoned down. Prepared for the worst. Not much action yet but plenty of rain. Hoping nothing happens to my truck. I have many pine trees in my yard ( over 50) and they usually make quite a mess. Depending on wind speed I have lost a few tops each major storm we have had. Have truck tucked and wrapped and hopefully clear of tops. I should be in good shape being on the east coast of FL. but watching closely. We always loose power it is just a question of for how long. Days vs hours.

sweetolbob
09-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Bill, Jeff and all you folks, best of luck. Hopefully, making landfall will rapidly mitigate the winds and keep damage and injuries to a minimum. Bob

larkregal62
09-10-2017, 06:01 PM
I am in Central fl on the barrier island south of Cape Canaveral. So far, have had one power Flicker only. Most of the potential tornado threat has abated. We are still supposed to get fairly heavy rains and winds in the 70 mph range. I am prepped and by the grace of God, will come through without severe incident. Storm is supposed to be gone by mid morning on Monday, but winds will continue until some time on Tuesday, although with much less intensity. Much luck and prayers to all of those on the west coast of Fl. Gordon

JRoberts
09-10-2017, 06:25 PM
All of you in the path of Irma are in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck to all.

Colgate Studebaker
09-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Still have power, however the rains have increased and the winds are a bit stronger. Nothing hurricane force yet, but the lights have flickered a couple times in the last few minutes, so we might lose power soon. As the storm is moving north it is shifting inland a bit which has helped knock down it's force. As it stands now it will probably be a CAT1 or less by the time it gets here in the morning. Hopefully the damage will be minimal and everything will be up and running in a short period of time. Stay tuned, time will tell how we do. Bill

57pack
09-10-2017, 06:54 PM
My daughter and family live in Lake Worth and have lost power around 5:00PM.
Lost some screen panels around pool area. Mostly from debris from palm trees. No flooding, so far.

larkregal62
09-10-2017, 07:51 PM
My situation here much the same as yours, Bill About the time the cable box re-boots the power kicks off again. Rains have substantially increased in intensity but I think we will still be ok--my area not really prone to flooding all of you stay safe--Prayers are with you. Gordon

ndynis
09-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Prayers and thoughts with all of you in FL. Still cleaning up from Harvey here so we know how you feel.
Stay safe!
Nick

(S)
09-11-2017, 12:57 AM
I barely know you, I only met you once, I met Mathew once or twice, I met Stephen l twice and also got to meet his dad. I also met lots of Stude people from everywhere around North America and around the globe. I pray for all you guys in that path and wish you well. Stay safe friends, some of whom I barely know.

DEEPNHOCK
09-11-2017, 06:06 AM
Storm has definitely picked up speed (and lost strength accorting to the weatherman)
Was supposed to get to Savannah about 4pm Monday, but the leading edge got here at 5am.
Hopefully it will scoot through quickly.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT11/refresh/AL112017_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind+png/094751_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

DEEPNHOCK
09-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Perspective...
When the hurricane is blowing....
And your hurricane cookie stash is out in the workshop.....
Smile... (Because you still have a workshop)!

jclary
09-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Perspective...
When the hurricane is blowing....
And your hurricane cookie stash is out in the workshop.....
Smile... (Because you still have a workshop)!

Thanks for the updates Jeff. Your earlier post regarding the size of the storm impressed me. I am over 200 miles north of you, and as I was traveling home I could tell the wind, and clouds building from the south were being influenced by the hurricane. By the time I arrived home, wind gusts had already begun stripping healthy green leaves from my maple trees. Periods of huge clouds, like scouting patrols, were roaming the sky, as if on a mission. No rain, but as you know, the temperature exchange between sunny areas and the sun blocking clouds, generate turbulence and wind at ground level. Amazing that the storm can be so far reaching.

Yesterday, as evening approached, things calmed down quite a bit as the heat of the sun waned with sunset. This morning, the wind returned with, cloud cover complete, and now rain. I got a chuckle from your "HURRICANE COOKIE STASH"...I couldn't do that.:(
Here, the mice & field rats would really have a party.:cheers:
Perhaps if I had a Bank quality safe, I could keep cookies in my outbuildings, but I'm not so sure.;)

DEEPNHOCK
09-11-2017, 10:36 AM
,snip>
I got a chuckle from your "HURRICANE COOKIE STASH"...I couldn't do that.:(
Here, the mice & field rats would really have a party.:cheers:
Perhaps if I had a Bank quality safe, I could keep cookies in my outbuildings, but I'm not so sure.;)

I got the wifes' hand me down fridge from the shop.
I keep important things in there, like hurricane survival food:rolleyes:
Mice don't get in there... The only predator in there is......Me!

https://i.imgur.com/dQjjG5O.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
09-11-2017, 10:47 AM
(Just an update....and a suggestion)

(copy)
Date: September 11, 2017 at 9:16:45 AM EDT

Subject: Irma update

Faired well over night. Total of about 7-1/2 inches rain so far. No big trees down here. No structure damage done. We now just await the back side of the storm. No power here since 11:30 last night. Pass the word as we need to conserve phone battery power.
Bill & Patti

Here's my suggestion:
Get one of these. They come with a USB port so you can charge your phone.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61lv6EGlMRL.jpg

DEEPNHOCK
09-11-2017, 11:18 AM
'Feels' like it is letting up a bit..
Keeping a wary eye out.....

Buzzard
09-11-2017, 11:41 AM
In post # 52, is Jeff suggesting that Bill is an old crank?
Bill

jclary
09-11-2017, 03:53 PM
A few moments ago, I made the trek down to the road to my mailbox. Rain is coming from the northeast, consistent with the direction of the occasional nor-Easter we get in this part of the country. Although, we know, it is actually due to the rotation of this huge tropical storm approaching from the south.

As I was out, I took a moment to check a few things. Looking skyward, the clouds are roiling, racing, and raging! It looks like one of those documentary film time-lapse scenes, where they speed up the film and condense several hours into seconds...except for now, it's real time! Rain is sideways & intense, but no where near as those who experienced it at hurricane strength. It is building in intensity here, so we have nothing to do but hunker down, hope for the best, and see what tomorrow brings. Prayers for those who will be dealing with the aftermath for some time to come.

DEEPNHOCK
09-11-2017, 04:38 PM
A few moments ago, I made the trek down to the road to my mailbox. Rain is coming from the northeast, consistent with the direction of the occasional nor-Easter we get in this part of the country. Although, we know, it is actually due to the rotation of this huge tropical storm approaching from the south.

As I was out, I took a moment to check a few things. Looking skyward, the clouds are roiling, racing, and raging! It looks like one of those documentary film time-lapse scenes, where they speed up the film and condense several hours into seconds...except for now, it's real time! Rain is sideways & intense, but no where near as those who experienced it at hurricane strength. It is building in intensity here, so we have nothing to do but hunker down, hope for the best, and see what tomorrow brings. Prayers for those who will be dealing with the aftermath for some time to come.

Glad you are ok. We made it through the main part of the storm with only a few branches down.
But the follwing feeder bands are viscious. Tornado watches and warnings until 9pm.
One of the later feeder bands did this to one of our few remaining 100 year old pecan tree's.
But the buildings, horses, and people are all ok..

https://i.imgur.com/EZVdYGr.jpg

jclary
09-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Currently, watching the local news, we are getting a chuckle.:) While telling the rest of us to stay indoors, the local news crews are crawling all over the county to find downed trees, broken power lines, and out of place trash cans to add drama to their reporting.:ohmy: Funny, how the "older gals" get studio duty, and the younger ones have to stand in the rain for reporting.:QQ: Then, as if all their viewers are dumb as a box of hammers, we get lectures about how to protect lawn furniture, and outdoor grilles. I've been told to "cover" my lawn furniture. What kind of cover is required for a chainsaw cut log stretched across two rocks?:rolleyes: That's what constitutes my lawn furniture.:lol:

At least, my goats and chickens have it figured out. Chickens, without instructions from reporters, safely retire to their roost, and the goats know that a few hours hunkered down inside their plastic igloo doghouse, inside their above ground stall, is a cozy place to ride out any storm. No condescending instructions from any irritating reporter required.:p

If they run out of anything of substance to report, I won't be surprised if we get instructions on how to properly blow your nose.:( Just now, instead of reporting about a tree "falling" on a house...it "Plowed":rolleyes: through the house (for dramatic effect). So, I'm wondering if it use a "turn plow," or a "bull tongue" plow?:confused:

I know this is serious business, and I feel for those who in the line of duty, slog through the misery, but in the midst of it all, a little humor might just keep someone from having a heart attack.;)

DEEPNHOCK
09-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Currently, watching the local news, we are getting a chuckle.:) While telling the rest of us to stay indoors, the local news crews are crawling all over the county to find downed trees, broken power lines, and out of place trash cans to add drama to their reporting.:ohmy: <snip>

I was laughing when I watched the Weather Channel buff dude Jim Santouranium (or whatever his name is)
standing out in the full fury if Hurricane Irma near naples, Florida.
Bravely facing the rapidly intensifying and deadly storm with his company logo'd parka on, complete with matching waterproof panties, and rubber booties.
Bending over...bracing against the onslaught...
My thought? Who the heck is video'ing this idjit.
Then.. The little reality TV weather charade was exposed. The cameraman backed up his camera back inside the rear window of the rental car to wipe the lens dry.
The weather dude took two steps to his left and gained shelter from the wind behind the mini van, and when the camera was pushed back out the window, the weather hunk deftly two stepped back to position one and started his hero in the wind act again. Never missed a beat.
Film at eleven....

8E45E
09-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Currently, watching the local news, we are getting a chuckle.:) While telling the rest of us to stay indoors, the local news crews are crawling all over the county to find downed trees, broken power lines, and out of place trash cans to add drama to their reporting

Some are questioning the ethics of that: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/natureevents/as-irma%e2%80%99s-winds-rise-so-does-a-debate-over-tv-storm-reporting/ar-AArFQ9x?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

Craig

sweetolbob
09-11-2017, 06:26 PM
But that's how I know it's going to be a serious weather event, No Jim, nothing but a mundane rain event in the near future. It will probably continue until one of them takes a 2X4 or flying stop sign between the lookers. Glad all the effected seem to have weathered the event. Bob

j.byrd
09-11-2017, 06:39 PM
I wonder when "reporters"will start running back and forth across a highway of speeding cars telling pedestrians to stay out of the road because it's dangerous. These people are disgusting and apparently stupid as a rock to be doing this while telling us that "NO ONE" should be out in it, and... it makes the other dummies (and looters) think "if that's all it is, we can go out too". Thank goodness for music stations, Velocity, MAV TV, PBS, RFDTV, and ......hmmmmm, guess that's about all of 'em. There are truly some strange and mentally challenged folks out there around us, and it seems like the news channel hiring staffs know where to find the most idiotic of them.

jclary
09-12-2017, 10:49 AM
YEaay!!! SUNSHINE! Even if temporary...first rays since Sunday! In a few moments, I'll go out and do a walk-around. So far, my wife has observed that our humming bird feeders are on the ground. I have not told her (yet) that I took the glass ones off the tree limbs Sunday evening. If there are no trees or limbs across the fence, or shingles off the roof, we are fortunate. In fact, regardless, we are blessed anyway. Prayers to those who took the brunt of Irma's force.

DEEPNHOCK
09-12-2017, 11:55 AM
The Deep-N-Hock Acres Hurricane Wilma destruction tour group will be starting in 15 minutes at the RED ZONE at loading pavilion A.

https://i.imgur.com/8mNo4Kn.jpg

Swifster
09-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Drove from Mobile to Bradenton yesterday. I filled up in Marianna, FL (west of Tallahassee), there was no gas until I got to Wesley Chapel just north of Tampa. I took US-19 on the way home and between the power outages and everything being closed, I thought I was dealing with the Zombie Apocalypse. At least when I got home everything was OK and power was already back up.

Jeff_H
09-12-2017, 12:36 PM
I heard on the radio coming into work this morning that Disney World was opening today so the Orlando area must not have been too badly nailed. I've a uncle and some cousins live in that area (St Cloud & Christmas, other cousin by Okeechobee someplace....). I'll have to ask my sister if she heard anything as I don't have any contact info but she has 1 cousin's email/phone.

Here today is expected to be high 80s, rather hot for this late in the season. It was 39 one morning last week and probably we get a frost sometime in the next 3 weeks.

DEEPNHOCK
09-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Horses taking a mid day snooze, They are non plussed, except for losing 25% of their shade choices...

(This pic gives you a perspective of how big these old Pecan tree's really are)

https://i.imgur.com/j0s83L8.jpg?1

Colgate Studebaker
09-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Howdy everyone, we just got power back on at about 12:30, and wife managed to get the internet working too. We weathered the storm in very good shape, had 1 tree (staked as it is a newish planting) that got bent over but didn't break, and a lot of small debris all over the yard. No damage to the house, my shop or anything else. Just lost power for 37 hours, and Withlacoochee Electric Co-op did a terrific job getting us back on line. Thanks to everyone for your concerns and good thoughts, Bill.

Buzzard
09-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Glad you made it intact Bill. I think your whole state (mostly in part to your Governor) did a fantastic job of minimizing the attrition.
Welcome back after a once in a lifetime experience.
Bill

dictator27
09-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Bill
We haven't seen any fires in the metro Vancouver area, but we have had a lot of smoke. The air quality was said to be three times worse than Beijing at one point. My wife developed a bad cough and sore throat from the high particulate level in the air. Coupled with unseasonably high temperatures (32-34 Celsius) it wasn't pleasant. My brother-in-law got out of Kamloops because the smoke was so bad and spent three days in Jasper where the air was clear. We took the motorhome up to Manning Park over the Labour Day weekend. Beautiful, clear weather, but we could see smoke in the direction of Princeton 72 kilometres away.
Currently, there are still over 140 forest fires burning in the province. The largest one has been burning for almost two months and has consumed more than one million hectares on its own. This has been the worst summer for forest fires in the provinces history.
Mother Nature doesn't like us this year!! Hope everyone who has felt the wrath of Irma is safe.

ClayBelt
09-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Survived the outskirts. Only lost power for 2 days, lost a few trees.

shifter4
09-13-2017, 12:55 PM
I made a post in Stove Huggers on this video , but it's a pretty good one .
After the first quick scene at a Beach approach etc in DB, , it goes at about 40 seconds ,to very near my house , and goes south into Daytona Beach .
Most of it is in Holly Hilly ,a separate but quite surrounded city in the area .
My house is back one block from the River ( ICW ), but I do have 13-15' of elevation .

on Youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qcER0mF2p4

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20170912/video-looking-down-over-flooded-daytona-beach

Buzzard
09-13-2017, 05:40 PM
Thanks for posting Bill. It is a real reality check for those of us who live in the mountains. Glad you made it unscathed.
Cheers, Bill