PDA

View Full Version : Add AC to 57 Golden Hawk?

JLau
09-05-2017, 11:10 AM
We are currently updating my our 57 Golden Hawk. We pulled everything out from under the hood and are repainting and adding a correct supercharger (when my boss purchased this Hawk, it did not have one). I feel good about doing this, and I know that it will look great and add value to the car. Before we stripped under the hood, we did a mock-up, and the SC ran fine. This morning, he came in and asked about putting an original AC unit in the car. My understanding is that AC was a factory option, and that they are very rare. Are these units available, and would it add value to the car if it was correct, but not original?

Thanks,
John

StudeRich
09-05-2017, 03:18 PM
In my opinion a CORRECTLY restored very nice Golden Hawk can't be improved much in desirability or Value with all the weight of that HUGE York V-Twin Compressor, and the weird Delco Generator & Power Steering Pump Combo and all the difficult to work on, added very hard to find hardware it would take to make it correct.

On the OTHER hand a modern Japanese Sanden Rotary compressor would be nice, but not original and require several Custom made brackets and moving things around and STILL be one seriously cluttered & Heavy Engine compartment.

The handling will certainly NOT improve with ALL that added weight forward on the Suspension, a 600 Lb. Engine, likely a Automatic Trans., Supercharger, a massive Saginaw Power Steering Gear and Pump, Power Brakes and AIR CONDITIONING? :eek:

If you are building it to DRIVE it may be of value to YOU, but to flip it most Performance Car buyers would prefer less weight and less worries and more driveability. In my personal opinion of course.

FYI: if the restorer is not "hooked up" with Local SDC Members, Local SDC Chapters, Part Vendors, and have and USE the very well Illustrated Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog, Body Parts Catalog and Shop Manual, and have a good amount of Studebaker knowledge and experience, it would be impossible to CORRECTLY restore a rare and valuable Golden Hawk just using "any car restoration experience".

Here is a Starting place: http://studebakervendors.com

PackardV8
09-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Agree in principle with Rich.

Minor points of clarification:

a 600 Lb. Engine, likely a Automatic Trans., Supercharger,

A standard Studebaker V8 weighs 695#; with supercharger and automatic trans, more like 800#.

all the weight of that HUGE York V-Twin Compressor,

Was the York AC compressor a V-twin? IIRC, it is a parallel twin. The Packard AC used a V-twin Lehigh compressor.

On the OTHER hand a modern Japanese Sanden Rotary compressor would be nice, but not original and require several Custom made brackets
Vintage Air offers a bolt-on Sanden compressor kit for the Studebaker V8. Whether it's a bolt-on for the supercharged cars is an unknown to me.

Sanden Rotary compressor would be . . . . one seriously cluttered & Heavy Engine compartment.
Cluttered, yes; the Vintage Air system would probably add another 50# to the nose of the car.

If you are building it to DRIVE it may be of value to YOU, but to flip it most Performance Car buyers would prefer less weight and less worries and more driveability. In my personal opinion of course.

For many today, no AC is the deal breaker. A couple of years ago at the Colorado Springs meet, one SDC member had to buy a plane ticket home for his wife (and probably worried she was meeting with a divorce lawyer when she got back there) because they drove two days in summer heat with no AC. The car sold soon afterward.

jack vines

drrotor
09-06-2017, 01:55 AM
And my opinion (worth what it costs you), is that very few people care any more if the car is "completely correct", rather more important to most is that it's done in the spirit of the original. And based on that presupposition, I would most certainly put A/C in it, as I am doing to all 3 of my Hawks. I am using late '50's- early '60's Studebaker Evaporators ( the part you see hanging under the dash) for a period-correct look, but under the hood, yes, a Sanden compressor and modern condenser, etc. I doubt having so little extra weight added to the nose would be noticeable whatsoever in the drivability of the car, but you could off-set it by moving the battery to the trunk shelf above the rear end, and at the same time "unclutter" the engine compartment significantly by doing so. This is the way I will be doing it in my Golden Hawk.

JLau
09-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! At the very least, it seems like it would be difficult to locate the correct parts. The car will not be driven enough to warrant an after market system.