PDA

View Full Version : Body: couple of chemical questions

DougHolverson
09-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Any opinions good, bad, or ugly on Metal Rescue Rust Remover Bath? Any alternatives?

Is Rustoleum Bright Galvanizing Solution the same thing as weldable primer? Any alternatives there also?

altair
09-05-2017, 04:29 PM
I have had fenders, trunk and hood dipped in the rust removal bath and the metal came out clean rust free and it must be primed as soon as possible... very expensive. I experimented with a trunk lid that had surface rust over 80% and I used a solution of vinegar and lemon juice mixed with a small amount of flour to make a paste and painted the compound over the metal and let sit for a couple of hours then hose off. After about three applications and some light sanding the rust was 100% removed. The surface must be flushed with lots of water to remove all the acid.66777

DougHolverson
09-05-2017, 04:46 PM
I'll try the vinegar and lemon juice thing.

bensherb
09-05-2017, 05:00 PM
I use "the works" toilet bowl cleaner to remove rust, it works great and is cheap, about $1.35 a quart. Just don't get it on chrome, cad, galvginzing or other plated surfaces. It'll take them off too.

Ron Dame
09-06-2017, 08:22 AM
So it's good at removing all that crap?

I use "the works" toilet bowl cleaner to remove rust, it works great and is cheap, about $1.35 a quart. Just don't get it on chrome, cad, galvginzing or other plated surfaces. It'll take them off too.

JoeW
09-06-2017, 08:46 AM
If I use either altair or bensherb's rust removers I would probably want to do it on my concrete driveway. Would either eat the concrete?

altair
09-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Do not do it on the concrete driveway as the rust that is removed will permanently stain it, do it on the grass. The grass may be affected but it is short term and grows back.

bensherb
09-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Yes, "the works" will at very least bleach the concrete.