couple of chemical questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: couple of chemical questions

Any opinions good, bad, or ugly on Metal Rescue Rust Remover Bath? Any alternatives?

Is Rustoleum Bright Galvanizing Solution the same thing as weldable primer? Any alternatives there also?
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

I have had fenders, trunk and hood dipped in the rust removal bath and the metal came out clean rust free and it must be primed as soon as possible... very expensive. I experimented with a trunk lid that had surface rust over 80% and I used a solution of vinegar and lemon juice mixed with a small amount of flour to make a paste and painted the compound over the metal and let sit for a couple of hours then hose off. After about three applications and some light sanding the rust was 100% removed. The surface must be flushed with lots of water to remove all the acid.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04750.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1716258

Comment

I'll try the vinegar and lemon juice thing.
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I use "the works" toilet bowl cleaner to remove rust, it works great and is cheap, about $1.35 a quart. Just don't get it on chrome, cad, galvginzing or other plated surfaces. It'll take them off too.

Comment

So it's good at removing all that crap?

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
          I use "the works" toilet bowl cleaner to remove rust, it works great and is cheap, about $1.35 a quart. Just don't get it on chrome, cad, galvginzing or other plated surfaces. It'll take them off too.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

If I use either altair or bensherb's rust removers I would probably want to do it on my concrete driveway. Would either eat the concrete?

Comment

Do not do it on the concrete driveway as the rust that is removed will permanently stain it, do it on the grass. The grass may be affected but it is short term and grows back.

Comment

Yes, "the works" will at very least bleach the concrete.

Comment

Working...
                X