Worst Ever Install Of Turner DB Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Worst Ever Install Of Turner DB Kit

If there were an award for how badly someone can screw up an install of Jim Turner's kit, my 63GT may be eligible. I bought the car 5 years ago from a guy in AZ, who had also owned it several years while living in Los Angeles. In LA, the car had been maintained by a well reputed Stude shop that is likely long gone by now. The PO was not much of a mechanic, so he must have paid dearly to that shop over the years.

Upon receipt, I went through the car's mechanicals, and discovered lots of goofy mistakes, some of which I did not even know were possible, i.e. the rear motor mounts were reversed, and to make that possible, the front mounts were in the wrong holes.

Today was the goofiest discovery of all: The car came to me with Turner brakes that appeared to be 1980s-90s vintage with calipers in front of the king pins. The brakes worked OK, but there were major clearance problems between calipers and frame; I could not turn the last half turn of the steering wheel, either direction, without the calipers scraping the frame. Previously, someone had ground the frame lips extensively, and welded a metal plate behind the octopus to limit steering linkage travel by mechanical interference, but that plate was welded over the pivot pin grease fitting, so I removed it. Jim told me a trick to put the calipers behind the king pins, so today I began that task. Upon removal of the mount plates, each plate was stenciled plain as day, "RIGHT", and "LEFT". Problem was, they were reversed. So it was an easy fix, just needed to put the RIGHT on the right, and the LEFT on the left, to locate the calipers behind the king pins.

When I first got the car, it was impossible to grease the king pins because the Turner plates above, blocked access to the fittings. So I installed 90 degree fittings, but never once thought someone could be stupid enough to have installed everything backwards. Never underestimate the power of incompetence!
    Last edited by JoeHall; 09-04-2017, 02:25 PM.

That's why I always looked for cars that had as few owners as possible when I was actively buying. Every new owner would try to add their own personal touch, often screwing something up. I found that neglect was much easier to fix than overly energetic idiocy/incompetence.

That is also why I try to discourage bad ideas when working on Studebakers. Many folks like to cling to a bad idea just because it was their own idea.

Glad you found it and fixed it.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-04-2017, 04:17 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

We are currently cleaning up a 1950 2R5 as a shop 'project' truck. We intended to used a excellent cab to replace the badly rusted out original. The chassis is in pretty good shape for sitting in a field for 40 years. The more I clean and dismantle the more I find some really, really bad stuff has been done to the old girl. The right hand side engine mount rubber had been replaced with large square nuts and leather wadding, a side cover bolt had been broken off in the the block and self tapping screws screwed into the block on the outside to keep pressure on the plate, and various odd size bolts replaced the originals. The rear spring shackle plates are all different! What a mess.
      Matt
      Brisbane
      Australia
      sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
        We are currently cleaning up a 1950 2R5 as a shop 'project' truck. We intended to used a excellent cab to replace the badly rusted out original. The chassis is in pretty good shape for sitting in a field for 40 years. The more I clean and dismantle the more I find some really, really bad stuff has been done to the old girl. The right hand side engine mount rubber had been replaced with large square nuts and leather wadding, a side cover bolt had been broken off in the the block and self tapping screws screwed into the block on the outside to keep pressure on the plate, and various odd size bolts replaced the originals. The rear spring shackle plates are all different! What a mess.
        That's not too uncommon around here for vehicles that have been parked many decades. We call it "grandpa-fied". As depression era folks were want to do, anything that worked and didn't cost anything was done. Coffee can mufflers, old shoe leather gaskets, motor mounts made from old tires and such are common.

Comment

Radio Roy - "overly energetic idiocy" made me laugh out loud...
          Dean Seavers
          Sacramento, CA

Comment

The Turner install had nothing to do with, "jerry rigging". It was installed backward, which required extra work, modification and creativity to pull off. It required grinding the frame, fabricating and welding a plate to the frame in order to limit linkage travel, blocking off 3 critical grease zerts, and forfeiting about 25 percent of the turning radius. All because someone could not read the huge, RIGHT & LEFT stenciils. But it is on par with installing the rear motor mounts backward, which they also did. That required sitting the front mounts in the wrong holes, and playing with all the linkages.

It looks like the work of someone who was stoned out of their mind. Absolutely bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
              Radio Roy - "overly energetic idiocy" made me laugh out loud...
              I've told jokes to thousands of people - made hundreds of people laugh.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

There are times that the lengths the ignorant can attain are just impressive!
                '64 R2 back on da road again

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  ... All because someone could not read the huge, RIGHT & LEFT stenciils. But it is on par with installing the rear motor mounts backward, which they also did. ... It looks like the work of someone who was stoned out of their mind. Absolutely bizarre.
                  Or:

A. they were approaching the car from the wrong end (back/front or front/back which ever is applicable) and thus their left was the brake system builders right.*

B. the installer was Dyslexic.

* When I was young I went to the bike shop to buy a pedal. I told the guy I need a left pedal. He replied back,"Left pedal?" And I said, "Right." He said, "Oh, you need a right pedal." You can see where this Abbot & Costello conversation went. The fact that the guy sounded exactly like the authoritative Chet Huntley only intimidated me more. We went on for about four verbal laps before he probably thought he was ruining my mind and got me my pedal.
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                  X