PDA

View Full Version : Roll bar test.

David56j
09-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Saturday the 2nd Central Washington SDC chapter hosted an open car show in Bickleton, WA. Over 131 entries including 10 Studebakers. Several stayed home because of very smoky conditions caused by forest fires and mid nineties temperatures.
After the show, on the way home, the chapter president ran off the road in his 1988 Avanti and it ended up on it's top. No serious people injuries but the car took a beating. When the wrecker put it back on it's wheels, it was not in park and rolled down the bank and wrecked the front end. I should have pictures in a couple of days and will try to post them. The car will probably be totaled but he has access to a parts car.

thunderations
09-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Opps X 2. Hope all turns out OK.

LarkTruck
09-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Glad nobody was hurt. He can be thankful it wasn't a convertible. When I was working at "The New Avanti Motor Corporation" in 87 one of Kelly's so called "Engineers" took a new convertible home for the night. He ran off the road, rolled it over and over until it snapped in half. The towing company brought it to the plant where it was immediately hidden upstairs under cover among all the spare parts so the press would not see it. That Monte Carlo chassis was NOT a suitable choice for replacing the X member Stude. frame. The 88's with the Caprice chassis are a little better, but I still wouldn't have one in my stable.
JS

studegary
09-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Glad nobody was hurt. He can be thankful it wasn't a convertible. When I was working at "The New Avanti Motor Corporation" in 87 one of Kelly's so called "Engineers" took a new convertible home for the night. He ran off the road, rolled it over and over until it snapped in half. The towing company brought it to the plant where it was immediately hidden upstairs under cover among all the spare parts so the press would not see it. That Monte Carlo chassis was NOT a suitable choice for replacing the X member Stude. frame. The 88's with the Caprice chassis are a little better, but I still wouldn't have one in my stable.
JS

You were working there so it is hard to question this, but I thought that the 1987 and 1988 used the Monte Carlo frame/chassis and the 1989 went to the Caprice frame/chassis.

studegary
09-04-2017, 09:29 PM
If you go to the AOAI Forum, there is an original owner of a 1987 that is looking to sell it because the frame is too rusty to be safe. It is a good candidate for a transplant to another frame.

dynolou2
09-04-2017, 10:17 PM
While I haven't asked John Hull, were the El Camino and Monte Carlo frames shortened? If they were where was that done, at or before the rear kick up area? Having owned both models, and putting over 250k on the El Camino , I never had any issues. Lou Cote

LarkTruck
09-05-2017, 07:02 AM
You were working there so it is hard to question this, but I thought that the 1987 and 1988 used the Monte Carlo frame/chassis and the 1989 went to the Caprice frame/chassis.

Good catch Gary. I should have said 89. With the demise of the 4th generation Monte Carlo looming, Avanti was working on the transition to the Caprice chassis when I left Youngstown in the fall of 87, there was one or two cars in the works with the new chassis. I do think 1989 was the "official" model year for the upgrade.

Lou, as for shortening frames, the Monte Carlo's were not shortened, nor were the El Camino's. The longer El Camino frames were used for the longer LSC bodies. In addition to the weaker frames, Kelly cars also had no sub floor torque boxes (hog troughs), eliminating body rigidity, causing poor door fit/alignment.

In my opinion the last true Avantis were Blake cars. Anything built afterward really are "KIT CARS".

JS

BRUCESTUDE
09-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Saturday the 2nd Central Washington SDC chapter hosted an open car show in Bickleton, WA. Over 131 entries including 10 Studebakers. Several stayed home because of very smoky conditions caused by forest fires and mid nineties temperatures.
After the show, on the way home, the chapter president ran off the road in his 1988 Avanti and it ended up on it's top. No serious people injuries but the car took a beating. When the wrecker put it back on it's wheels, it was not in park and rolled down the bank and wrecked the front end. I should have pictures in a couple of days and will try to post them. The car will probably be totaled but he has access to a parts car.
Here's a photo forwarded to me from our chapter president; fortunately both he and his wife are okay other than being a little sore.

StudeRich
09-05-2017, 11:57 PM
That is really too bad, ya have to wonder WHAT would cause THAT? It's NOT a VW Combi Bus!

LarkTruck
09-06-2017, 06:56 AM
Thankful they were not injured. Sorry to have taken this thread off topic.
JS

8E45E
09-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Very sorry to see that!

If its the one I'm thinking of, that car was here at the zone meet in July, and it was one of the nicest 25th Anniversary Avantis around!! I was trying to talk the owner in to displaying it at the MCACN show in Chicago in November.

Craig

BILT4ME
09-06-2017, 12:01 PM
That's a classic looking down, drive off the LEFT side of the road, panic and jerk the wheel right, thus, tripping the car into a rollover. I would say texting and driving but......knowing this typical generation.........

If you see or feel yourself going into a situation, go with it and EASE it out, or drive it in hard, use the throttle, and drive it back out, but DON'T fight it! You may incur SOME damage, but it will be FAR less than this!

I did this in a 68 VW bug, caught it going into the ditch, so I drove it in hard at WOT, then floored it and "jumped" it back onto the road. Drove it home with nothing bent or broken. I've been in the ditch a few times, but have NEVER rolled a car.

My brother and I were coming home from school in a 68 4x4 Chevy 3/4 Ton and drove off the left side. As soon as the left wheels dropped, a person's instincts are to jerk it back. In this case, we drove it INTO the ditch, jumped it into a frozen, chisel-plowed field (VERY ROUGH!) sliding sideways, turned it back toward the road, and drove it back out. This was in the winter with snow drifts in the ditch and everything frozen. We were doing about 50 MPH on a gravel road. It was a heck of a ride. I started out with a 1/2 LB bag of peanut MM's in my hand. By the time we stopped back on the road, I had about 4 left and they were down the defrosters, behind the seat, and all over the floor. My brother would chuckle for years after that when the defroster fan would catch an MM and chew it up and spit little colored pieces out the defroster or heater vent!

Glad you walked away from it!

David56j
09-06-2017, 12:40 PM
BILT4ME, all good advice but you are a bit off on this one. I wasn't driving but it appears to involve missing a prong horn or a deer. Can't be texting as there is no cell service for several miles. He could easily have rolled in the ditch and just missed a power pole. Really bad place to drop a wheel off the road.