PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: DG-200 leaks badly What is the likely problem?

StudeMann
09-03-2017, 12:09 PM
My 51 Land Cruiser's DG-200 leaks fluid badly when parked. I drive it about once a week and I need to top up the ATF before I drive it (which is a pain in the butt and can be messy). I have done this three or four times in the last month with over a pint each time. The trans works fine when the fluid is up to correct level.

I plan to pull the engine and transmission this fall and reseal/rebuild as necessary over the winter. Given the amount of fluid leakage, it seems the torque converter must be draining into the transmission and overflowing it. Is the TC supposed to do this and should I anticipate needing to repair something more than just replacing the seals and gaskets in the transmission?

Thanks,
Jim

64V-K7
09-03-2017, 01:34 PM
From what I've read, a TC drainage issue on an FOM, does exactly what yours does and is directly caused by excessive bushing clearances. It would follow that the seals are also worn. If the shifting is also delayed, it would be a problem with rigid / worn servo seals. This rationale can likely be applied to your DG.

StudeRich
09-03-2017, 06:00 PM
More than Likely it is mostly the Front Pump Seal and "O" Ring, the Tail Seal, Shift Shaft Seals, Governor Cover Gasket if a DG has one like a FOM, also contribute.

The Front Case Bushing wear will allow air into the converter, which will drain it into the Pan.
Just like holding a straw full of liquid with your finger on the top end, when you release it, it dumps.

Were you able to see that it does mostly come from the Oil Pan?

dynolou2
09-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Have you been able to locate the area of greatest fluid loss? Rich has named the usual suspects. The case design on this unit is small and is stuffed full of mechanicals, any sort of converter drain back will cause overflow in the fill/vent area. Generally the leaky areas will have some of the dirt/dust cleaned off. Lou Cote

dynolou2
09-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Also the DG 200 does not use a bushing in the extension housing, or in the front pump. The lip seals for the servo pistons and the drums will be hard unless it was recently rebuilt and then parked. So expect to dig into it. Lou Cote

StudeMann
09-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks for your responses.

I don't have a lift so it's hard to get a very good look at the entire transmission. Everything is wet with fluid so I can't tell where the leak is coming from. The trans leaks worse when the car is level or pointed downhill so does this point to anything specific? Given the amount of fluid leaking out, it must be the TC draining as suggested above.

It sounds like I should plan for an overhaul. My brother has offered up some space in his shop this fall/winter so I plan to pull the engine & transmission out and refresh the front suspension/steering while I'm at it. Rich, which of the parts, kits etc. might you be able to help me with?

Thanks.

Jim

StudeRich
09-04-2017, 03:01 PM
/Cut/Rich, which of the parts, kits etc. might you be able to help me with?
Thanks. Jim

Jim, that would be ALL Parts in the S.I. Catalog and More.

Commander Eddie
09-04-2017, 03:19 PM
You can get a complete rebuild kit from FATSCO Transmission.

http://www.fatsco.net/

All their gaskets are the correct fit and are new. Not old stock that has gone brittle. All rubber seals are fresh and should fit and last for years.
I purchased one of their kits for my DG 250M and it was complete right down to graduated thickness and color coded shims so you can pick just the right one.

64V-K7
09-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Send it to Jerry Kurtz (jerezstude@aol.com) - Dover, PA

StudeMann
09-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Send it to Jerry Kurtz (jerezstude@aol.com) - Dover, PA
Dover, PA is a loooooong way from where I am. I'm in Victoria, BC, Canada located on Vancouver Island, northwest of Seattle, WA. StudeRich is close by in Ferndale, WA.
Cheers,
Jim

Hallabutt
09-06-2017, 01:24 PM
I hope that Lou Cote doesn't shoot me for using his name. He already responded to your question so hope he is onboard. He lives just north of Seattle, is a trans rebuilder and a dedicated Studebaker/Avanti man. Even though he is very busy, and stays that way, I have never known him to turn down anyone who needs help. Chuck Tubens, who lives in the Portland area, much the same credentials as Lou.

Jeffry Cassel
09-06-2017, 05:29 PM
Clean it off as best you can and park it . Put a clean nica size piece of cardboard under it. In the morning look at it and see where the drips are. The tail shaft seal is a common culprit and doesnot require pulling the transmission. The pan gasket can also leak and that is not a huge job to fix. If it is the front seal (oil leaking for within the bell housing ) or the selector shaft seathen the transmission will need to be removed. Good luck!