PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker's oldest dealer. Rare collectable.

HAWK64
09-03-2017, 01:21 AM
It is claimed that the earliest was Atran's located at Arbuckle California & recognised as the oldest continuing Dealer starting in 1889 selling horse drawn Studebaker products & continuing on with cars from 1907. I was fortunate in procuring an award item made by Studebaker to Atran's for this achievment in 1952, that being one of the recognised 3" Centennial Medallions inscribed with the Dealer's name & encased in Lucite. Dick Quinn & I have a few between us that were awarded in 1952 to politicians, suppliers, key management & favored friends of Studebaker. Apparently very few survived as in many cases the Lucite material deteriorated under adverse conditions.
I wrote an article in the Feb 2011 Turning Wheels with some photos & the listed names discovered back then. If any of the Forum readers know of any others please pm me with the name on the medallion. The illustrated Lucite here has the name W P Moonan & is an excellent example.66722

Lou Van Anne
09-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Here is one of their coffee cups.....don't know how to rotate it....sorry.66728

Commander Eddie
09-03-2017, 02:41 PM
I believe the first Studebaker wagon dealer on the west coast was actually in Portland Oregon which opened around 1872. The building still stands. They added electrics in 1902. I'll check my documents to verify this.

StudeRich
09-03-2017, 04:04 PM
I stopped in at A.J. Atran's in Arbuckle, CA on the way moving from L.A. to Everett, WA and bought some Parts and was given 2 of those "Stude's Oldest Dealer" Mugs, that was in 1979. :cool:

I believe the first Studebaker wagon dealer on the west coast was actually in Portland Oregon which opened around 1872. The building still stands. They added electrics in 1902. I'll check my documents to verify this.

You do have to remember that in the Late 1970's and Later, Atran was STILL in business and the clock was still ticking, unlike the Oregon Dealer!

HAWK64
09-06-2017, 09:19 PM
It is claimed that the earliest was Atran's located at Arbuckle California & recognised as the oldest continuing Dealer starting in 1889 selling horse drawn Studebaker products & continuing on with cars from 1907. I was fortunate in procuring an award item made by Studebaker to Atran's for this achievment in 1952, that being one of the recognised 3" Centennial Medallions inscribed with the Dealer's name & encased in Lucite. Dick Quinn & I have a few between us that were awarded in 1952 to politicians, suppliers, key management & favored friends of Studebaker. Apparently very few survived as in many cases the Lucite material deteriorated under adverse conditions.
I wrote an article in the Feb 2011 Turning Wheels with some photos & the listed names discovered back then. If any of the Forum readers know of any others please pm me with the name on the medallion. The illustrated Lucite here has the name W P Moonan & is an excellent example.66722

Whilst Studebaker made this individual award they also presented all66795 Dealers in 1952 with this unique pedestal 3" Centennial Medallion to recognise the occasion. They ordered 5011 examples & I guess a few Forum members may have snared one over the years.

studerex
09-06-2017, 10:19 PM
I have 2 in lucite.

HAWK64
09-07-2017, 04:24 AM
I have 2 in lucite.
Thanks Rex. I reckon I even know the names on those 2 Lucites!!