PDA

View Full Version : Other: Need help with a 1959 Lark

Funkle
09-02-2017, 04:43 PM
I've been given this 1959 Lark by a relative and would like to restore it as best as possible, however, I have no clue how to work with cars this old. I would really appreciate help on identifying whats specific parts are missing and or broken so that I can get started.

rusty nut garage
09-02-2017, 05:05 PM
I've been given this 1959 Lark by a relative and would like to restore it as best as possible, however, I have no clue how to work with cars this old. I would really appreciate help on identifying whats specific parts are missing and or broken so that I can get started.

Go to www.studebakerparts.com
buy 3 manuals. Shop manual and body parts manual and chassis parts manual. Then join the Studebaker Drivers club plus your local club chapter..
thats he best advise I can give you. Once you get in the local club you'll find all kinds of helpful guys and parts.

StudeRich
09-02-2017, 05:37 PM
Until you prepare it to come out of it's possibly LONG Sleep and start it, you will not know what it needs, the only thing visibly MISSING is the Air Cleaner and a Group 24, 12 Volt Battery, hold down Bracket and "J" Bolt.

I can see that someone has replaced the Original Carter Model "AS" one barrel Carb. with a Holley, possibly for a Chrysler Product like the slant Six.

The Chassis Parts Catalog, the Body Parts Catalog and the Shop Manual are a big help understanding how things go together and in what sequence.

Parts and Manuals are here: http://studebakervendors.com

rockne10
09-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Adrik,
Welcome to the Forum!
Obtaining those three books and a basic set of tools are essential if you want to do it correctly, and save yourself a bunch of money. Let's face it; none of us were born with it.
And, should you find a task beyond your ability, or requiring special tools, the shop manual can be loaned to a mechanic you trust. The fact that these cars are much simpler than their modern counterparts does not mean that today's technicians know how to approach them. ;)
All three are available on one CD-ROM if you don't want to spring for the printed volumes.

I would also encourage you to read through this excellent contribution to the SDC web site, whether or not the car has been sitting any length of time.

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

doug
09-02-2017, 07:35 PM
On the main Studebaker Drivers Club website you can find chapters in Oregon. Check and see if anyone is close, 98% chance they are friendly.

BILT4ME
09-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the Studebaker World!

I also have a 59 Lark. Please register your Lark on the 59 Registry (Buzzard takes care of it.) Do a search for "Lark Registry" and you'll find it.

Mine has a V8, but I have worked on the sixes as well. The 59 and 60 are VERY similar but have small nuances that are different, specifically in trim and interior pieces. Body panels are the same.

What body style do you have?

Please post pics because we ALL like to see pics!

RadioRoy
09-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Here is my best advice in no particular order.

-buy the shop manual, the chassis parts catalog and the body parts catalog. They show all the parts, what their correct name is and the part number. Studebaker vendors use these part numbers to assure that you get the correct parts.

http://studebakervendors.com/

-Start slowly, learn your vehicle. Get it stopping and running, drive it and fix the little things that need to be fixed as you learn.

-the vehicle does not need to be re-designed with parts from another brand. If you bring everything up to specification, re-bush the bushings and so on, you will have a reliable, well running and well driving car. Studebaker engineers were professionals who knew what they were doing.

-do not take the car apart. It's the thing that everyone seems to think of, BUT... It is one hundred times easier to take something apart than it is to put it back together. Leave the ground up restorations to the pros with the tools, knowledge and money to complete the task.

-Whenever you do disassemble something, do it with the idea in mind that you have to put it back together again. If you disassemble something, lay the parts out in the order they came off. Then, put them back on in the same order. That alone will save you lots of grief.

BILT4ME
09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Pictures
Pictures
Pictures

Ziploc bags and Sharpie Markers for when you take something apart and need to put back together later.

In the new age of digital, it's well worth it to take LOT of pics from different angles. We just did a lot of this on a 1970 GMC K2500 and it was invaluable to our son who was doing his first time on this stuff on his own.

Take something apart and put it in Ziplocs (only use the freezer bags as they are heavier). For example, when we removed the cowl, we made one bag called "cowl" and put in ALL bolts removed as well as any clips or even broken bits removed so when it came time to put it back together, we knew exactly which ones belinged. Same with "carburetor" and "Intake Manifold" and "Exhaust Manifolds" and "Clutch Pedal"....The list goes on.

I agree with Radio Roy to do it sections at a time.
1) Make it run
2) Make it stop
3) Make it drive
4) Make it safe
5) Make it reliable
6) Make it clean
7) Make it pretty
8) Add your "bling"

I did this when reviving my Lark.
First was fuel and fuel lines, then cooling system with water pump, then ignition, all to make it run.
Then we did brakes. Wheel cylinders, hoses, shoes, drums, master cylinder, hard lines.
Then tires
Then complete fluid changes
Then steering (tie rods, center pivot)
Then wipers, gauges
Then front suspension
Then rear suspension.

This took us 3 years to complete, and each year we set new goals to hit dates by and what we needed to accomplish. Within 5 days of having it road-ready, we drove it 350 miles, then 350 miles back. It hadn't been run in 31 years.

The next year we made it more reliable with engine seals and a carburetor rebuild.

This year we did front suspension, springs, kingpins, and shocks.

The car drives like a new car now!

Take your time, enjoy each stage it's in and go from there!

61LaRk4dr
09-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Hello, welcome to the forum! Where in Oregon are you located? There is at least two chapters here in Oregon and then there are also some of us scattered out in the vast areas of nowhere.

Buzzard
09-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Welcome Funkle!! As BILT4ME stated I am running the '59 Lark Registry so send along your pertinent data when you get chance. I also have a '59 2 Door Hardtop so share some pics and once again welcome the best automotive forum out there.
Cheers, Bill

jclary
09-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Hello, and welcome to the family.:) As you can see, you have stumbled into an auto interest group you may not have known existed. Already, due to the weather today, I've posted more nonsense than usual:rolleyes:, so instead of blathering on, I'm gonna say "DITTO" to all the above.;) Post some pics, and hang around. I'm looking forward to your progress reports and wish you the best!:!:

52-fan
09-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Did anyone else notice that the original poster only had one post on September 2nd? Did we scare him off?

jclary
09-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Did anyone else notice that the original poster only had one post on September 2nd? Did we scare him off?

Wouldn't be the first time.:( Perhaps it is a youngster used to the more active/reactive rapid response of other venues like face book & twitter. Or, perhaps quickly realized he had stumbled into a group of old geezers, turned and ran...thinking it's contagious!:eek:

Hopefully, it is a hard working person, who got busy and has yet to find the time to check back in. If you do find your way back...you're still welcome!:)

tsenecal
09-12-2017, 01:35 AM
I enjoy the forum BECAUSE of the old "geezers". Lots of good knowledge, and words of wisdom to be had here. I hope the original poster returns also. Especially if he wants to get that Lark back on the road.