PDA

View Full Version : Electrical: TAchometer/electronic ignition.

Quentin
09-02-2017, 01:36 AM
63 HAwk
289 Stude
Mallory/Dave T electronic distributor. Ballast. Voltage Spike Protector to ignition module.

tacho with electronic ignition functions accurately at idle; on the road, it only gets up to about 1500rpm, and refuses to read any revs beyond this. Is there a fix ? Thanks, Quentin.

waynedavey62
09-02-2017, 06:23 AM
Hi Quentin,

I am running the same ignition set up as you. I had Ringwood Speedometers in Melbourne convert my SW tach to electronic to fix this issue. Was told by them that it would now run with any V8 petrol engine with complete accuracy, does not require any external module.

Regards,

Wayne.

bezhawk
09-02-2017, 10:33 AM
I have looked into this problem since it was mentioned a few months ago. I claimed it was the new LED bulb hititng the inner works, but his non R series Hawk Tachometer does not have the bulbs into the side. So I took one apart, and here is what I discovered. The magnet ring is held in place with a large brass set screw. To access the set screw the face has to be off. What I found is the ring had shifted from being centered in the sweep of the electromagnet coil that moves the needle. When it swept to a certain spot, it begins to runb on the magnet ring, and stops the sweep. You can manually move the ring, and center it, and check the sweep of the needle all the way through the range of motion, so that at any point, it doesn't rub. The manufacturers way woulb be have all this set before the needle and face was installed. I just centered it by hand, and then put a drop of superglue on the set screw, and magnet to hold it in place. Let everything totally dry before reassembly.

JoeHall
09-02-2017, 11:04 AM
This is what I used to cure the same problem on the 62GT when I converted it over to electonic ignition, as part of the HFI installation. Later, I swapped both GTs over to modern tachs, but this adapter worked just fine in the interim. Imagine that they call it a, "Tach Adapter", LOL http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-IGNITION-8920-Tachometer-Adapter-/162396948121?epid=220094469&hash=item25cf9cc699:g:fC8AAOSw3v5YpH5C&vxp=mtr

Dan Timberlake
09-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Summit sells the MSD 8920 for the exact same price as that EBay ad. Buy a couple dozen exhaust clamps to get the invoice over 100 bux and the shipping is free !!

Quentin
09-07-2017, 09:00 AM
I have looked into this problem since it was mentioned a few months ago. I claimed it was the new LED bulb hititng the inner works, but his non R series Hawk Tachometer does not have the bulbs into the side. So I took one apart, and here is what I discovered. The magnet ring is held in place with a large brass set screw. To access the set screw the face has to be off. What I found is the ring had shifted from being centered in the sweep of the electromagnet coil that moves the needle. When it swept to a certain spot, it begins to runb on the magnet ring, and stops the sweep. You can manually move the ring, and center it, and check the sweep of the needle all the way through the range of motion, so that at any point, it doesn't rub. The manufacturers way woulb be have all this set before the needle and face was installed. I just centered it by hand, and then put a drop of superglue on the set screw, and magnet to hold it in place. Let everything totally dry before reassembly.

would be a good plan Bez.... however, I neglected to say that my tacho was fine prior to installing the electronic ignition/distributor assembly. (Apologies. ) Once I installed electronic ign. I had no tach at all.. Then I added ballast, and changed the 2 ohm pink wire for a bog standard wire; I now have tacho that is accurate at idle which is the main thing I suppose, for tune up purposes etc etc.....but it will not read at revs. Which upsets the OCD perfectionist in me............!

Quentin
09-11-2017, 07:22 AM
This is what I used to cure the same problem on the 62GT when I converted it over to electonic ignition, as part of the HFI installation. Later, I swapped both GTs over to modern tachs, but this adapter worked just fine in the interim. Imagine that they call it a, "Tach Adapter", LOL http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-IGNITION-8920-Tachometer-Adapter-/162396948121?epid=220094469&hash=item25cf9cc699:g:fC8AAOSw3v5YpH5C&vxp=mtr

Thanks Joe will try.