PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker 14" rims versus 15" rims and hub caps

AllstonEP
09-01-2017, 12:15 PM
So I have some 14" rims on my parts 1953 Studebaker that confuse me. Then I realized, maybe I don't know what Studebaker rims look like. I have 9 rims.

1) what make and year are these 14" blue ones?

2) is this 15" brown one even a Studebaker?

3) I am assuming and hoping this 15" white one with clips is 1953 year correct Studebaker (I have 5 of them)?

4) And finally I have 4 hub caps that I am not sure which rim they fit (not the 14). 3 are chrome and 1 is stainless steel (by left foot). And if they are to match a factory 1953 Studebaker 2 door Commander Hardtop, I assume they need an outer Chrome trim ring. Or are the correct hub caps completely different than what I have, like a 1 piece?

My end goal is like the black car.

Man I am a newbie! Thanks for the patience with my pathetic questions and for all the help!

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/StudeRimsMaybe.jpg

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/StudeRim.jpg

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/IMG_5188.JPG

http://scoot.net/gallery/bbs/IMG_5189.JPG

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/1953-Studebaker-Commander-Starliner-Front.jpg

bensherb
09-01-2017, 01:25 PM
To me the blue wheel looks like Ford, the brown Chrysler. The White wheel ,with hupcap clips, looks like '53 Stude and the dog dishes are '53 Stude. In my experiance the dog dish hub caps are much harder to find than the full wheel covers; like on the car you pictured that look like them.

I'm betting the hub caps are too small for the blue wheel and too big for the brown one?

RadioRoy
09-01-2017, 01:26 PM
The white wheel is 51-56 Studebaker, maybe even beyond that also. The hub caps are 53-55, both steel and stainless. Did Studebaker make them both ways, or did someone make them aftermarket?

The black car has 54-55 wheel covers on it.

bensherb
09-01-2017, 01:36 PM
So you're saying this is the only correct wheel cover for '53 Roy? I've always been led to believe these were "early" wheel covers that went along with the early "Mercedes" emblems/badges.

StudeRich
09-01-2017, 01:37 PM
(1) The Hub Caps '(53 to '55 Type) are of course NOT Wheelcovers like the Black '53 Shown that you want.

You can use them if you use the White wheels with Hub Cap Clip Holes, the new Clips are available at: http://studebakervendors.com

Measure the INSIDE of the Tire Flange (Bead) if the width is 5 Inches they are correct '53-'57, if 4 1/2", they are '51-'52 or '53 and not for Tubeless Tires.

(2) The Blue 14 Inch Wheel might work on a '58 ONLY Stude. but is likely Ford or Chrysler depending on the Width, just trade, sell or scrap it.

(3) The Brown one (off-white W/Rust) is a Kelsey Hayes Late '63-'64 15 Inch Studebaker "Double Hump" Wheel for Disc Brake Cars. it is probably 4 1/2 Inches Wide.

As you may have guessed, the inside Tire mounting WIDTH is THE most important feature after of course the 5 on 4 1/2 Inch Center Ford, Chrysler, Studebaker, AMC Bolt Pattern and overall Diameter.

Then there is the OFFSET, the distance from the mounting surface to the edge of the outer surface.

Here are the "HUBCAPS" that you have, usually used on bottom of the line Models that were not ordered with the Optional "WHEELCOVERS":
66661 66662

'54-'57>66659 '51-52 or '53>66660

AllstonEP
09-01-2017, 02:00 PM
Is there a slight difference between these hub caps that I cannot see? Or is it just knowing one is a 2 piece and the other is a 1 piece?

https://www.autopaper.com/images/10748/photo/img6839_28677.jpg

https://www.autopaper.com/images/10750/photo/img6854_28695.jpg

Eric

StudeRich
09-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Yes, the Three simulated knockoff raised bars on the EARLY '53 WHEELCOVERS Only, as Shown in Post #4, are not on the '54's also not on Late '53's. :rolleyes: These are NOT Hub Caps.

The '53 brochures were printed in 1952.

AllstonEP
09-01-2017, 02:15 PM
All 3 rims fit bolt pattern on both 1953 2 door and 4 door - though I did have an issue with depth on the backs and had to use something totally different temporarily, so technically only the white rims fit on back, I believe. But we know blue and brown rims are wrong.

StudeRich
09-01-2017, 02:26 PM
All 3 rims fit bolt pattern on both 1953 2 door and 4 door - though I did have an issue with depth on the backs and had to use something totally different temporarily, so technically only the white rims fit on back, I believe. But we know blue and brown rims are wrong.

The Brown ones are not really WRONG to FIT any Stude. at all, just not Technically, year specific, CORRECT.

All you need is FIVE the SAME, does not matter especially after covered with a Wheelcover!

You are not one of those people who actually TRY to view Internet Pictures on a 3"X4" "Smartphone" :mad: are you? That would explain a lot! ;)

AllstonEP
09-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Ok boys, now it is sinking in. I got five 1954+ rims with clips and they can take the correct wheel covers if I can find them or if they are reproduced. The other rims are not Studebaker. And I am using a laptop for 100% viewing pleasure and accuracy. Who has the wheel covers? Who specifically has the clips - that link listed 50+ vendors? Thanks a million.

Skip Lackie
09-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Ok boys, now it is sinking in. I got five 1954+ rims with clips and they can take the correct wheel covers if I can find them or if they are reproduced. The other rims are not Studebaker.

The last statement is not correct. See Rich's post #5 above -- the brown/rust colored one is a 63 Stude disc brake wheel. It is worth saving, especially if it's 5" wide.

bensherb
09-01-2017, 04:28 PM
You don't need the clips with the wheel covers. You only need the clips to use the hub caps,(dog dish). I have not seen any reproductions of the '53 dog dish hub caps, but I think they reproduce the wheel covers.

AllstonEP
09-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Ok, thanks for catching that. Sorry, the brown one is good to keep. The 14" are 5" wide too. Glad I reread it again - I have 1 clip rim that is probably an earlier 4.5/tube required rim.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, wheel covers is what I would be looking for.

StudeRich
09-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Sorry, NO New '53-'55 Wheel Covers are available any longer, there are LOTS of the small hub Caps around at Swap Meets, the Wheel Covers will be hard to find, Expensive USED ones, or maybe a few REALLY expensive New, Reproduction ones bought before the Dies to make them burned in a fire.

61LaRk4dr
09-01-2017, 05:45 PM
Hello AllstonEP, check your private message box.

LarkTruck
09-01-2017, 06:36 PM
PM sent.
Jim S.

rkapteyn
09-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Sorry, NO New '53-'55 Wheel Covers are available any longer, there are LOTS of the small hub Caps around at Swap Meets, the Wheel Covers will be hard to find, Expensive USED ones, or maybe a few REALLY expensive New, Reproduction ones bought before the Dies to make them burned in a fire.
I would like to see steel dies burn.
As far as I know Lyon (the manufacturer) still has the dies.
Newman and Altman had some remade and run into trouble with Dan from Nostalgic ,who bought the rights to the dies from Avanti.
Avanti used a modified version of the 1953/54 hubcaps.

StudeRich
09-01-2017, 11:32 PM
Interesting, that does not quite explain how it is that Ed Reynolds and Richard Quinn lost the ability to continue reproducing their '54-'55 Wheel Covers claimed to be from the Original Dies. :confused:

Either way it looks like they are GONE, probably forever. :(

jclary
09-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Interesting, that does not quite explain how it is that Ed Reynolds and Richard Quinn lost the ability to continue reproducing their '54-'55 Wheel Covers claimed to be from the Original Dies. :confused:

Either way it looks like they are GONE, probably forever. :(

I've wondered about this:confused:...Over the years, I've called on customers who had metal stamping and forming operations. With wheel covers, consider the process. Full covers or small, they are discs. Most of the manufacturing operations, as I recall, purchase huge rolls of flat metal, that are chucked up into a big heavy fixture. As the material is unrolled, it first meets a huge punch station, that cuts the disc. The remaining material is recycled. Next, the flat discs, depending upon the complexity of the part, go through a series of stamping procedures. For example, large or small, the rolling of the first edge of any wheel cover is critical, since it not only has to be curled in a way that no sharp edges are unsafe to handle, but precise as it becomes the clamping surface that holds them on the wheels. I once established a customer relationship with a wheel cover manufacturer, but due to my growing customer base, I had to turn it over to another salesman. So, I never spent enough time to acquire in-depth knowledge. Besides, by that time, most wheel covers had become plastic instead of metal.

However, I had customers that produced huge industrial aluminum light reflectors (Hydroforming), chainsaw bars, mining equipment, and two foundry operations. For most of the stamping operations, besides the dies, the stamping machines, pre-lube equipment, de-burr, lube removal, heat treat, plating, finish and packaging....Well, you get the picture. I don't see how any small quantity could ever be profitable. Even if the dies were perfectly preserved...they could never make the first part without the enormous expense of the supporting machinery.