I Hate Being Ripped Off (Update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate Being Ripped Off (Update)

Last May in SB, a guy was selling Delco distributor caps for Stude V8. They were only $10 each, and were old school style with the brass/copper terminals. I had not even seen those in years, so happily bought two of them. Last night, I went to install one on the 62GT (with incorrect Delco), and to my surprise, there was no way to get the clips to fasten. So I tried the caps on a spare Delco distributor, on the bench. I discovered they are about .060" too large in diameter, so will not even think of seating that last 1/16" or so.

The seller had a bunch of them, but strangely, would only set one or two out at a time. Later he said they were all gone. So I guess I am not the only one who paid $10 for a paperweight.

I have thought of trying a dremmel, but do not believe they can be modified and remain reliable. Oh well.

Update on 09/23/2017, I was NOT ripped off. For further info, please see this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Caps-From-NAPA
    Last edited by JoeHall; 09-23-2017, 02:04 PM.

I think that many have not been dealt with fairly including myself but alas, such is more commonplace than many suspect...

Comment

I see NAPA has Echlin brand cap and rotor. I prefer Echlin to repro, so will give them a call tomorrow. The cap is $20 though, and the rotor is $25. Wanna play, gotta pay. LOL

Comment

Mayb e he was selling them for on of those 289 Ford engines we were supposedly running?

Comment

And yet another reason...
          People wonder why I hate people...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
            Last May in SB, a guy was selling Delco distributor caps for Stude V8. They were only $10 each, and were old school style with the brass/copper terminals. I had not even seen those in years, so happily bought two of them. Last night, I went to install one on the 62GT (with incorrect Delco), and to my surprise, there was no way to get the clips to fasten. So I tried the caps on a spare Delco distributor, on the bench. I discovered they are about .060" too large in diameter, so will not even think of seating that last 1/16" or so.

The seller had a bunch of them, but strangely, would only set one or two out at a time. Later he said they were all gone. So I guess I am not the only one who paid $10 for a paperweight.

I have thought of trying a dremmel, but do not believe they can be modified and remain reliable. Oh well.
            Your post caused me to want to know, "the rest of the story"? When you say "Delco," was it a standard or window type cap? Was the "guy" selling a familiar seller with an inside vending setup, or one of those off the tailgate parking lot vendors? I could imagine a situation where someone could come across a deal on an old inventory of those caps and assume they are all the same. (Someone like me.) Then take them to a swap meet, and sell them, not knowing they are incorrect. On the other hand, it could be, as you seem to think, intentional. I've heard of folks coming into a good deal and "PAYING IT FORWARD"...I suppose it is also possible for a person to get ripped off and "Pay it Forward" in a negative way.

I probably would have done the same as you, had I been looking for a distributor cap. I once bought a front hood ornament for a '48 Studebaker when I was restoring my Champion. Weeks later, I finally got around to trying to mount it so I could admire my good fortune. That was when I discovered the difference between the '48 Champion and '48 Commander! Although similar looking, the hood arc is different, and the two will not interchange. So now, every time I see one of those at a swap meet, I think of my goof up. Very often, they are not properly identified, and sellers often say they don't know which one it fits. There are some parts (like vacuum advance units) that will fit on your car, and not be correct. I think it was Jack Vines who posted that right here on the forum a long time ago.

Whether intentional, or from ignorance, it is still disappointing to lay out money for something useless to you.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Just got a Delco window type MSD cap and rotor at Advanced Auto for my Studebaker for around $33. It looks to be a quality cap and matching rotor. as seen here, I hope!
              Free Shipping - MSD Distributor Cap and Rotor Kits with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Distributor Cap and Rotor Kits at Summit Racing.

Hope this helps,
              Richard
              Last edited by 63larkr1; 08-31-2017, 07:40 AM.
              The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Joe,

Is there a part number on the box or the cap?

I have some older DELCO parts books and can look it up to see what it fits. Perhaps you can re-sell and get your money back.

Also keep in mind DELCO made replacement caps for Prestolite and Autolite distributors, so it might be a later model V8.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  <snip>
                  Was the "guy" selling a familiar seller with an inside vending setup, or one of those off the tailgate parking lot vendors? <snip>
                  John....I kind of take offense to your comment there.. (Being one of those 'outside' guys)...
                  Being 'inside' is not an exclusive right to being a good vendor..
                  Just like being 'outside' does not make one a bad vendor.

Knowing what you are buying (and knowing what you are selling) is not automatically guaranteed...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I think at any swap meet it works both ways buyer and seller beware, just as many vendors get ripped off as buyers. When the vendor has to go for lunch and he leaves his wife to man the goods and along comes Mr. sharpey and buys a $100 part for $10 from her and assure her that is all it is worth. Vendors equally ripoff other vendors, even steal and resell the goods at their site. I would say that 98% of all vendors are true and honest it is that 2% that create all the grief. Watch out for the fast talkers that have only NOS. You have to know what you want and need and there is always a gamble that is just the nature of swap meets. Standard joke "haven't you ever been lied to at a swap meet". We are all attracted to them and know the risks.

Comment

Dang! I guess I need to become one of those "tailgate" sellers. I have a couple dozen new caps and rotors for three different Stude distributers that came with my car when I got it. A cap and rotor selling for $33 to $45! Last time I actually bought that stuff retail It cost under $10 for a cap, rotor, points and condenser. I changed my distributer to a GM HEI; a "Blue Streak" (brass contacts) cap, rotor, and coil cover for it cost $16.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                        John....I kind of take offense to your comment there.. (Being one of those 'outside' guys)...
                        Being 'inside' is not an exclusive right to being a good vendor..
                        Just like being 'outside' does not make one a bad vendor.

Knowing what you are buying (and knowing what you are selling) is not automatically guaranteed...

Jeff, no offense intended. In fact, if I can gather up a few parts in the next few days...I will be a "Tailgate Vendor" at the upcoming Tri-State meet. Truth is, the few times I have ever vended, has always been outside. I was merely wondering if the person in question was one of the predictable "familiar faces," we always see at the big swap meets??? Nothing derogatory intended. It didn't even cross my mind that my comment could be taken as a put down.

OH...and a lot of my parts will come "Pre-rusted," so you won't have to fret over giving them a proper "patina."
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                          I think at any swap meet it works both ways buyer and seller beware, just as many vendors get ripped off as buyers. When the vendor has to go for lunch and he leaves his wife to man the goods and along comes Mr. sharpey and buys a $100 part for $10 from her and assure her that is all it is worth. Vendors equally ripoff other vendors, even steal and resell the goods at their site. I would say that 98% of all vendors are true and honest it is that 2% that create all the grief. Watch out for the fast talkers that have only NOS. You have to know what you want and need and there is always a gamble that is just the nature of swap meets. Standard joke "haven't you ever been lied to at a swap meet". We are all attracted to them and know the risks.
                          Whenever I sell, I have a cheat sheet for any friend who is nice enough to watch my table when I am out shopping. The sheet has the description, the price and then, in a column that is folded behind the sheet, the lowest price I will take. That only makes sense to me.

Leaving your table with someone else and giving them no information whatsoever is foolish, lazy, and unfair to the person watching the table.
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-31-2017, 01:57 PM.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I believe it's entirely possible that the seller believed the caps were correct for the application. It's only a ripoff if the seller knowingly sells incorrect/faulty parts.
                            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The guy was setup inside; coming through the side door from the show field, Rich Lindsey was immediately to the left, and the guy was immediately to the right. He had lots of electrical stuff, and a younger guy was helping him. One of the caps came in a Borg Warner box with, "51-59 Studebaker" written on it.

Maybe next year I will take a spare Delco distributor with me and, if the guy is there again, ask him to install the cap onto the distributor for me. I have no idea if he did it on purpose or not, but I am sure a lot of others bought paperweights from him that day also. As mentioned, he sold out of those caps. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X