PDA

View Full Version : Roll call Maggie Valley

jimmijim8
08-30-2017, 07:18 AM
Who may be going? jimmijim

jclary
08-30-2017, 07:59 AM
If I can get it together, I plan to come. Since my mother (96 yeas old) is in a nearby nursing facility, things are day to day. This has probably been my most inactive Studebaker year in over forty years! Seems as though I can hardly get back to one chore than when something happens. I have to drop everything and take care of something else. My vehicles are suffering from inactivity. Spring pollen is now covered over with summer dust, spider webs, wasp nests, etc. So, I have now had a change of plans. For the first time in years, have decided to attempt to gather a few parts, and bring them to the meet.

That has led to another project. I have an old Studebaker truck bed that was made into a trailer. Years ago, a man gave it to me just to pull it out of the weeds on his property. I dragged it home, cobbled a better axle under it, put on some used tires, sprayed a little paint on it, and used it a couple of times. Since then, it has been sitting in my weeds, and has pretty much returned to the same condition it was in when I acquired it. So, now I'm again trying to make it roadworthy by replacing the rotted tires (with more used tires), new lights, and wires to power them. If I get that done, I hope I have enough time to gather some parts to bring.:confused:

So...for anyone else planning on bring parts, look for me. Perhaps we can sell some or just trade "Old Rust" among ourselves.:rolleyes:;)

Hope to see you there!:)

Sam Ensley
08-30-2017, 10:51 AM
We are going. Already have reservations.

wdills
08-30-2017, 10:52 AM
I am planning to be there this year. Just depends on the weather.

StudeNewby
08-30-2017, 12:10 PM
I plan to be there, too. Just Stuey and me this year, as April has to work. :( Looking forward to it!

rockinhawk
08-30-2017, 04:17 PM
Edie and I plan to be there. Bringing Loren and Betty Hendley and their 63 GT with us.

Bamajak
08-30-2017, 04:48 PM
This will my 30th straight year.............

58 Hawk
08-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Jim, I really wanted to go but I am committed to a local car show which I have been in charge at a local country club
Sorry to miss this event
Joe Parsons

jimmijim8
08-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Jim, I really wanted to go but I am committed to a local car show which I have been in charge at a local country club
Sorry to miss this event
Joe ParsonsNever met you Joe but have met your Hawk before and after it's restoration at Chuck Baranosky'a jimmijim

r1lark
08-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Michele and I will be there..................

JRoberts
08-30-2017, 08:38 PM
I'll be there.

JoeHall
08-30-2017, 09:33 PM
The 9th is my birthday, so I may not be able to escape from home. Will try though, and likely will drive the 56J down. Its been 2-3 years though, since I was there.

starliner62
08-31-2017, 05:12 AM
What??? There's a show in Maggie Valley????

Ron Dame
08-31-2017, 06:43 AM
I'll be there

jclary
08-31-2017, 07:21 AM
What??? There's a show in Maggie Valley????

Only if you are there!!!;):)

Bamajak
09-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Packing up for the trip up the mountain. Hope everyone has a great trip up.
Looks like good weather and no gas shortage.
Jack

JRoberts
09-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Jack I'll see you Saturday morning.

jclary
09-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Everybody welcome!!! Always good company, great folks, and terrific studebakers! :!:

JRoberts
09-08-2017, 10:13 AM
I am about to leave. Will be staying with my son in Clemmons, NC tonight and the two of us will go up to Maggie Valley Saturday morning. I have been to a Tri-State just after a hurricane and this time I will be out before it hits. I will keep an eye out on the weather you can be sure of that.

jclary
09-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Ok... I left home today at a little before 4 pm. Headed out to the Tri State meet in Maggie Valley. Normally an hour & half trip. Things went great until I got to I-26. That's when I discovered the population of Florida and Georgia had turned it into a huge parking lot. I arrived here at about 7pm. So far, looks like we're gonna have good attendance. I expect to be back home before the rain starts.

Keeping all in my prayers. The next few days are going to get quite interesting.

rockinhawk
09-10-2017, 06:57 PM
I am about to leave. Will be staying with my son in Clemmons, NC tonight and the two of us will go up to Maggie Valley Saturday morning. I have been to a Tri-State just after a hurricane and this time I will be out before it hits. I will keep an eye out on the weather you can be sure of that.Hey Joe, I looked for you all day long, never did see you!

rockinhawk
09-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Ok... I left home today at a little before 4 pm. Headed out to the Tri State meet in Maggie Valley. Normally an hour & half trip. Things went great until I got to I-26. That's when I discovered the population of Florida and Georgia had turned it into a huge parking lot. I arrived here at about 7pm. So far, looks like we're gonna have good attendance. I expect to be back home before the rain starts.

Keeping all in my prayers. The next few days are going to get quite interesting. Hey John, I enjoyed hanging out with you Saturday. Thanks for the deals on the parts. Still need to do that ride. NT.

Sam Ensley
09-10-2017, 08:39 PM
It was a very enjoyable meet. Our grandchildren always like to go to this meet. They are now big fans of Ed Wingate. He took them for a nice ride in his '35 street rod.

jclary
09-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Hey John, I enjoyed hanging out with you Saturday. Thanks for the deals on the parts. Still need to do that ride. NT.

Likewise on hanging out with you, and Sam too!:)

It was a very enjoyable meet. Our grandchildren always like to go to this meet. They are now big fans of Ed Wingate. He took them for a nice ride in his '35 street rod.

I too had a chance to ride in the '35. I was going to ride with Ed in the parade, but by the time the parade was to start, I had ordered supper. Besides, it had begun to dawn on me how tired I was from manning my vendor station all day.:p I was glad to see that Ed has that car. With its history, of two of our legendary SDC owners (RIP), and probably a few I never knew, the car brings a different meaning to the "survivor" category. Although it (like many of us) is showing some battle scars, it is good to see it showing up again. With Ed's care, I believe it is in good hands.

About this meet...it was the 49th. I believe it was the first Studebaker meet I ever attended... Waaay back in 1975. Back then, I was about as "clueless" as a newbie could be. Many of us have grown old together attending this event. People and their cars have come and gone, but, from my perspective, the fellowship is constantly great!:) For some who have passed away, their legacy is sustained by loved ones who recount their memories, maintain their cars, and and honor their tradition of great fellowship.

This year, by vending, I experienced the meet in a much different way than usual. I didn't get to mingle very much among the cars, and probably missed a lot. But, I still had a wonderful time with all who stopped by, and felt good about (finally) letting go of some parts that folks could use on their projects. I can honestly say I don't think I can ever recall a bad experience at any of the Tri-State meets I've attended. Next year will be the "50th" meet.:) In the past, I have encountered folks as far away as New Mexico, Arizona, Missouri, Michigan, Pa., and beyond.
For the last ten years (or so), the meets attendance seemed to reflect the economy, and attendance became more "regional." This time, we still had folks from Alabama, Ohio, Virginia, besides the usual southeast states.

For anyone wanting to experience the N.C. mountains, who have never attended our meet...and have some vacation time...why not plan a trip, take a week or two, and culminate the adventure by spending a couple of days with us at the "50th" Tri-State meet! It should be a great way to celebrate a half century of Studebaker Drivers Club tradition!:!:

JRoberts
09-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Hey Joe, I looked for you all day long, never did see you!

Mechanical problems on the Cruiser stopped me about 3 hours from Maggie Valley. Luckily this happened at my son's place and he got the car back up and running. I decided not to try to drive west and headed back toward home. I did make it home and got the problem diagnosed and repaired, but am sorry not to have made Tri-State.

wdills
09-11-2017, 07:36 AM
Sorry to hear about your difficulties Joe, I was hoping to meet you. I did get to meet a few more "Forum" members and put faces with the names. Maybe I can meet a few more next year. Hope everyone else got home without problems.

Bamajak
09-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Thanks to everyone who attended this year. We are already started planing next years 50th Tri-State.
Jack

rockinhawk
09-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Who may be going? jimmijimHas anyone heard from Jimmijim? I think he lives in the path of the storm.

StudeNewby
09-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Mechanical problems on the Cruiser stopped me about 3 hours from Maggie Valley. Luckily this happened at my son's place and he got the car back up and running. I decided not to try to drive west and headed back toward home. I did make it home and got the problem diagnosed and repaired, but am sorry not to have made Tri-State.
We missed ya, Joe, but glad all is well. I still have your walkie-talking in my truck!

StudeNewby
09-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your difficulties Joe, I was hoping to meet you. I did get to meet a few more "Forum" members and put faces with the names. Maybe I can meet a few more next year. Hope everyone else got home without problems.
It was great meeting you and "Henry Hawk," Wayne. What a beauty (the Hawk, not you)! Hope to see you again soon!

wdills
09-12-2017, 07:45 AM
What a beauty (the Hawk, not you)!

Mike, you might be on to something. This year, several people have invited me to bring the Hawk to their clubs car show. But not once have I been invited to compete in a beauty pageant. This has been a mystery until now.:rolleyes: