Starter on '49 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Starter on '49 Commander

We have a 49 commander (big six) that we pulled out of a machine shed 5 yrs ago. Needed a new head, but mechanically was pretty sound. It was always a reluctant starter; it really wants to go back to sleep in the rear of some machine shed. The starter cranks slowly and pulls the battery down right now. I've done all the obvious things: new batt cables(really big ones) moved ground to starter bolt put in A new battery ( like the great big one that always starts my Case "400"). I even found an armature and replaced that. Nothing helps!!! Does any one in Studedom have any ideas? Does any one have a good starter they could bring to Menominee??

The only thing I can suggest is to turn the engine over by hand on the front bolt and see if it is tight, it should turn with reasonable effort, if it is very difficult to turn may be the resultant of something binding inside.

Comment

Did you check the bearings and bushings in the end plates of the starter? If they are worn, the armature could be hitting the fields.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Could not see any evidence that the armature was dragging but it kinda acts like that. Bearings are fine.

Comment

Is the main shaft on the armature straight? It could have gotten bent in storage all these years.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I have a starter from a 49 2R16A truck that had the big six. It is oily, but turned that engine over just fine.

I have NO IDEA if it is a direct swap coming from a truck with four speed.
            Someone on here will know.

Cheap. Let me know via pm if you are interested.

Comment

Starter

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
              I have a starter from a 49 2R16A truck that had the big six. It is oily, but turned that engine over just fine.I have NO IDEA if it is a direct swap coming from a truck with four speed.Someone on here will know.Cheap. Let me know via pm if you are interested.
              Lynn- Yes I am interested. It probably would work but am away from home now . When I get back home I'll try to check it out and get back to you. Thanks! Jeff

Comment

Lynn: It looks like they have the same starter. Let me know what you want for it and I will send a check. The shipping will be horrendous. Thanks! Jeff ( jccatwb@gmail.com )

Comment

If the starter is not over 11" long it will fit in a medium size priority flat rate box and ship for less than $15.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Jeff:
                    Send me a pm with your address. I will ship the cheapest possible (USPS... IF IT FITS) and let you know the shipping. Then you can mail me a check for the actual shipping amount. I am not worried about getting paid. Never been stiffed by a "real" car guy. Starter is free. I have no use for it and am not looking to make money on it. I just hate throwing away good parts.

Comment

Pack/pad it well. The post office is BRUTAL with heavy packages. It seems like they are OK with light parcels, though. Remember that everything is machine sorted and dropped/thrown/flung/squashed/vibrated all the way to the destination, particularly at transfer points.

Comment

Working...
                      X