PDA

View Full Version : Brakes: Bypass Hill Holder

lelshaddai
08-28-2017, 11:43 PM
I am starting the conversion of the 3 speed to Automatic. The brakes were set up with the hill holder. What is the best way to bypass this? Can I leave the hill holder in place and remove the connecting arm to the pedal or remove the hill holder unit and connect the lines between the hillholder and master? Do I need to run complete new lines?
Jim

tim333
08-29-2017, 01:04 AM
When I bypassed the hill holder on my 63 Hawk I just made a small U shaped line to connect the brake lines together that were supposed to connect to the hill holder.

nvonada
08-29-2017, 06:37 AM
The simplest way is to disconnect the rod and wire it in the off position. You don't have to change the brake lines at all.

Nathan

jclary
08-29-2017, 07:18 AM
The simplest way is to disconnect the rod and wire it in the off position. You don't have to change the brake lines at all.

Nathan
I agree with the above quote. It is the simplest way. But, you do have options. You can remove it completely. You can even change the master cylinder to one that never had a hill holder attached to it. You could even purchase and install a "no-roll" electric valve made for automatics. But, as nvonada states, the simplest way...:)

lelshaddai
08-29-2017, 07:44 AM
So I can remove it and just connect the lines like the above post states? Can I use the same master cylinder? The other car I have which had an automatic did not have any thing extra for hills, just the master cylinder.
Jim

tim333
08-29-2017, 09:53 AM
If your hill holder becomes dirty and clogged it will cause problems with the lines still connected even though you disconnect it mechanically. I pulled my hair out wondering why my brakes were locking up on my 63 Hawk because every thing in the system was new EXCEPT the hill holder. I never thought it could be the problem since the linkage was disconnected. After weeks of checking and re-checking my work I put a little jumper brake line eliminating the hill holder from the fluid circuit and walla, problem solved.

lelshaddai
08-30-2017, 08:10 AM
Then, do I need the hill holder with the Automatic? Is it OK to be without it? My other car with automatic does not have one. Did all the cars, no matter the transmission have it? I am trying to decide whether I need it or not. The car will have a 289 with flight o matic transplanted in.

jclary
08-30-2017, 08:27 AM
You do not need it. There are different hill holder configurations. Not having a pic, I don't know exactly how yours is rigged. I'm thinking you can simply remove the hill holder and screw the distribution fitting for front & rear brake lines to the back of the master cylinder. I'm not confident in my assessment as to it being that simple. But, I don't think it is much more complicated than that. Some manipulation/adaptation of the fittings & lines will probably be required.

rkapteyn
08-30-2017, 08:39 AM
http://mystudebaker.com/brakes/studebaker-hill-holders-anti-creep/

lelshaddai
08-30-2017, 08:40 AM
I will try to get a pic of it. It is mounted on the other side of the master with two lines running out the master to it and two lines running out of the hill holder to the brakes. It has an arm that attaches it to the brake pedal. I was just going to bypass the hill holder with patch lines. But I just did not want to take something off that was needed for safety. Where these on the Automatic cars also?

rkapteyn
08-30-2017, 08:41 AM
http://www.studebaker-info.org/brakesystems270907.html

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/Brakes/Anticreep/anticreep.html

http://www.getwiringdiagram.com/wiring-diagram/anti-creep-circuit-wiring-diagram-for-1956-studebaker-passenger-car-60302.html

lelshaddai
08-30-2017, 08:58 AM
Great information. So I read what was sent to me. If I understand correctly the Autos then had the Anti Creep. The question is then do I need that or is it OK to go without it?

bill matwijec
08-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Not to steal the posting. My 65 with drums pulls to the left slightly when the brakes are applied hard. The brakes are good, new lines, bled etc.. Can the hillholder cause a pull or do I just need to keep fooling with the adjustment until i get it right. They pulled violently to the right prior to me working on them. Sorry if this isn't the proper place for my question but it seems related. Thanks

lelshaddai
08-30-2017, 11:08 AM
My 62 Volvo did the same thing. I had to use the adjusting wheels on the brakes and tighten them up until you couldn't spin the drums and then on the Volvo back at 11 clicks. That solve the pulling.

bill matwijec
08-30-2017, 12:17 PM
thank you very much. I will try that.

bensherb
08-30-2017, 06:08 PM
Great information. So I read what was sent to me. If I understand correctly the Autos then had the Anti Creep. The question is then do I need that or is it OK to go without it?

No you don't "need" the hill holder or anti creep, they are options that are nice to have sometimes, like in San Francisco.
Just connect the three brake lines on the hilll holder together. The cars without hill holders had a "y" fitting at the master cylinder instead of the line going to the hill holder; the front and rear brake lines then screwed into it, instead of the hill holder.