Pinion seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Pinion seal

Somewhere here it said 45min job to change differential seal...well it took me 3hours just to get it apart, pipe wrench to hold yoke and impact wrench to get nut off (pry bar and hammer did nothing). Now is where I need help, didn't pay attention once seal was off as to how the gasket and round metal plate came off (behind seal). Used magnet to remove the plate off shaft but don't know which side goes in first, also other posts say nut needs to be torked but don't know how many pounds to seat it at. Oh, and told yoke shaft should have sealer applied before sliding into seal...grease? Please help so I only have to do this once.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	1755572Click image for larger version

Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1755573Click image for larger version

Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1755574Click image for larger version

Views:	2
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1755575Click image for larger version

Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1755573Click image for larger version

Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1755576Click image for larger version

Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1755577

The metal washer is a splash guard for the seal, should be installed as in pic #4 , if you look carefully you can see the impression left by the end of the yoke. The washer goes in first, then put a small amount of sealer on gasket and place it on seal. Lubricate the sealing surface and install seal. Install yoke after cleaning sealing surface and torque to 140 to 180 foot pounds per shop manual. Lou Cote

Comment

Hopefully this may help. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06856.JPG
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1716119Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06857.JPG
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	1716120

Comment

One more thing, as you torque rotate yoke, if it gets hard to turn it could be too tight. Lou Cote

Comment

When I did mine, I had to trim a little the outside of the paper gasket that goes under the seal. To do this I simply put it onto the seal and cut the excess material with scissors. I suggest you check this. I used sealer at the back and outside of the seal. Grease goes between the two lips of the seal. It took me almost two days to do this on a lift.
          Nice day to all.
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks so much for the help here but still not 100% sure of how metal washer goes on.

Views:	2
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	1716123Guessing this being towards outside with yoke resting against indented surface

Comment

Ditto; do not put slinger in backwards or it will sling oil out rather than back in. The convex part goes toward the the differential. As always, my sage advice comes with a double-your-money-back warantee.

Comment

Some pinion seals now come with a band of sealer on the inside, which negates the need for the gasket. The last National seal I installed had that sealer already on it.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Convex: arched up; bulging out. So to be finalized, the raised part goes in first towards differential...Yea, I get it now, Right?

Comment

Thanks for all the help, couldn't have done it without it. Back together and ready to go.

Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1716152

Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1716153

Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1716154

Comment

This sure reinforces the decision I made to have mine done professionally...and it really did take him only 45 minutes...and cost me just over $100.
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Maybe so but I like to get my hands dirty every now and then, and believed I learned something...with a little help from friends here.

Comment

Working...
                        X