1953-55 Studebaker Automatic Drive widow visor sleeve assistance requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953-55 Studebaker Automatic Drive widow visor sleeve assistance requested

I have recently reproduced the visor sleeve for the Automatic Drive cars for 1953-1954. See images below. Exact copy, slides easily over the visor just like the original. $25 postpaid for anyone interested. I am certain this one came off a '54 and am almost certain that the '53 would be the same. Curious if anyone out there has one for a '53 and '55 for comparison? Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9237 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1755569Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9238 copy.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1755570
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I have an original for 1953. Mine is not for a "widow" <G>. I can't believe that this is something else that I have that you do not have.

EDIT: I got my 1953 visor sleeve out to compare it. I did not read every word, but it appears to be the same, both sides. The number in the upper left on mine is "W719". I can not read the number on yours.
    Mine came from the original owner of one of the 1953 Commander Starliners that I owned. I knew the original owners and the car since the car was new.
    Last edited by studegary; 08-28-2017, 06:19 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I have an original for 1953. Mine is not for a "widow" <G>. I can't believe that this is something else that I have that you do not have.
      Well, only if it's some how different from the one, he has, from a '54?

Mark
      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

The number in the upper left on mine is "W719". I can not read the number on yours.
        Yep...'tis the same!
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

I got my 1953 visor sleeve out to compare it. I did not read every word, but it appears to be the same, both sides. The number in the upper left on mine is W719. I can not read the number on yours.
          Right, Gary. I'm able to read the upper left corner notation on Richard's reproduction and it indeed says W719. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

EDIT: I got my 1953 visor sleeve out to compare it. I did not read every word, but it appears to be the same, both sides. The number in the upper left on mine is "W719". I can not read the number on yours.
            Mine came from the original owner of one of the 1953 Commander Starliners that I owned. I knew the original owners and the car since the car was new.
            EDIT: I just checked my original 1952 sleeve and it has he same form number W719 so it appears they used the same form number for all visor sleeves regardless of year so back to square one!.

I do have the 1952 version (reprinted) in case anyone is interested (price is the same). Side one shown below. It is a bit longer than the '54 at 17 1/8" vs 15 1/2" and shows the '52 steering wheel and shift quadrant. Now wondering about the 1950 and '51?

Name:	visor sleeve 1952 front copy.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1716121
            Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 08-28-2017, 07:29 PM.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
              Well, only if it's some how different from the one, he has, from a '54?

Mark
              Technically you are correct ('53 & '54 the same item). I think the first item that Richard, Asa, Fred and others did not have that I have is an original 100,000 mile club plate. The repro's were made from my original.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If it's correct for a 51 Landcruiser I'll take one.

Comment

Technically you are correct ('53 & '54 the same item). I think the first item that Richard, Asa, Fred and others did not have that I have is an original 100,000 mile club plate. The repro's were made from my original.
                  You mean one of these (below)? I like the patina! There was another style that came out in 1936 that I have. John Brichetto at Autosport Specialties reproduced the 20's style back in the '80s and a lot of them have survived but originals are quite scarce.

Name:	100,000 club.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1716122.

Name:	100,000 club.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1716122
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Ok then, there is always that!

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I am surprised that a '53 version doesn't have a tri-star on the horn button in the drawing? Maybe that is a "late" '53 printing vs a early one?? Then again, it does not have a lazy S either.

This reminds me my folk's new '78 Ford Fairmont wagon had a sleeve like this on the driver's visor with "Starting Instructions". It got left on there for years until it was ripped and shabby before it was thrown away.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Ah, the Fairmont.....I always thought that's what the future Studebakers would look like if they had continued on. I always had a fanciful idea of taking one and "modifying" it into a Studebaker clone......alas, Fairmonts are about as rare as Studebakers these days....
                        Mike Sal

Comment

"Now wondering about the 1950 and '51?" Wonder no more.

The '50 and '51 Commander sleeve was different; primarily the steering wheel image, as the DG200 itself was the same, though the stock reference of W719 did not change from '50 through '55. I reproduced the '50, '51 Commander sleeve (the Champion is slightly different; only difference being the m.p.h. shift points) a number of years ago, as well as the 16 page glove box Automatic Drive Owner's Guide, scanned from an original that appears to have been stored in the glove box for a few decades. The sleeve is on original 70# weight Hamm Via Light Green stock, and I offer the two together for $35 including USPS delivery. Sleeve alone is $20 postpaid and glove box guide alone $15. Note this is the '50, '51 Commander version; not the '53-'55 version nor '52 offered by Mr. Quinn. Sleeve is 6-1/8x17 and Owner's Guide is 3-5/8x6-1/8. Either can be delivered to Reedsville less $5 postage.

Name:	P8290087.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1716128 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290088.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1716129 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290089.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1716130
                          Last edited by rockne10; 08-29-2017, 05:18 PM.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Richard, PM sent
                            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                              "Now wondering about the 1950 and '51?" Wonder no more.

The '50 and '51 Commander sleeve was different; primarily the steering wheel image, as the DG200 itself was the same, though the stock reference of W719 did not change from '50 through '55. I reproduced the '50, '51 Commander sleeve (the Champion is slightly different; only difference being the m.p.h. shift points) a number of years ago, as well as the 16 page glove box Automatic Drive Owner's Guide, scanned from an original that appears to have been stored in the glove box for a few decades. The sleeve is on original 70# weight Hamm Via Light Green stock, and I offer the two together for $35 including USPS delivery. Sleeve alone is $20 postpaid and glove box guide alone $15. Note this is the '50, '51 Commander version; not the '53-'55 version nor '52 offered by Mr. Quinn. Sleeve is 6-1/8x17 and Owner's Guide is 3-5/8x6-1/8. Either can be delivered to Reedsville less $5 postage.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]66599[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]66600[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]66601[/ATTACH]
                              I can attest to these fine reproductions. I put both in my 1951 Land Cruiser and they look good, well worth the money.
                              1947 Studebaker M-5
                              1946 Studebaker M-5
                              1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                              1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                              1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X