PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Flightomatic leaks BAD

Billyhawk
08-27-2017, 11:00 PM
I'm new to this site and just getting around to fixing up my new old Studebaker. I have a 57 Golden Hawk I pickup in April that leaked some but now it's so bad I can't drive it. The car sat for about 25 years so I know all the seals need to be replaced. I changed the transmission pan gasket and fixed that problem but the big leak is coming from the shift lever. Tonight I dropped the pan and valve body and pulled both shafts out. It looks like there's a oring seal for the kick down lever but the shift lever shaft has what looks like a pressed in seal. Does anyone know for sure and it so where can I get one. I looked at Studebakerparts.com but no shift lever seals show up. Thanks for your help

Bill

HAWK64
08-28-2017, 12:55 AM
Hopefully you should be able to pick up both sela from a Automatic Trans shop. Just flick out the pressed in seal with a screw driver & use a 3/4" SAE socket to gently tap the new seal in place. Good luck.

StudeRich
08-28-2017, 01:03 AM
The Inner shaft SEAL is (Shift Lever) 1540906, the Outer (Throttle Pressure) is 1541015 at: http://studebakervendors.com

The Next suspect will be the Front Pump Seal and "O" Ring. :(

dynolou2
08-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Billyhawk stopped in at work today ,I fixed him up with a seal and o ring, same as for a C-6 or C-4 manual lever and kick down shaft o ring. Lou Cote

Steve Winzar
08-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Hi BillyHAwk- I have PM'd you...

Billyhawk
08-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Billyhawk stopped in at work today ,I fixed him up with a seal and o ring, same as for a C-6 or C-4 manual lever and kick down shaft o ring. Lou Cote

Thank You Lou
I'm glad you were able helped me you really know a lot about these old transmissions. I would have never guessed a C-6 or C-4 seal would work and your shop is just down the street from me. I know that replacing this seals is just a band aid fix and it will have to be rebuilt sometime soon. I'm sure I will be talking to you again soon.

Again Thank You for your help

Bill

Billyhawk
08-29-2017, 06:34 PM
Hi BillyHAwk- I have PM'd you...

Thank You Steve I replied to your PM.

Billyhawk
08-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Thank You for the suggestion to go to a shop. I went to the one about a mile from my house and there was a very smart club member Lou working there that fixed me up in about 2 min. How lucky can you get.

I'm really starting to like this site.

Bill

dynolou2
08-29-2017, 11:52 PM
Bill, If you would like to meet some of the local Studebaker folk, some of us will be at Paine Field on Saturday for Aviation Day, on the west side off of Bernie Weber Drive for a car show in conjunction with the planes. I am located on 110 th Pl west of 46 th. Lou Cote

Billyhawk
08-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Yes Lou if I don't have to work I would love to come by and meet some fellow Studebaker folks.

Bill