Negative battery cable connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Negative battery cable connection

I just got home from visiting my Dad who has a '64 GT Hawk, and his car has the negative battery cable connected to the front most exhaust manifold bolt. I have a '63 GT Hawk, and mine has always been connected to the front most intake manifold bolt. Which one is correct?

Either provides excellent ground, provided the engine itself is grounded to the frame.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Neither one is correct, it goes under the Upper, Left Water Manifold Bolt.

That's it behind the Power Steering Pump Reservoir:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	64 R2 Jet Green4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1716086 The correct Group 24 Battery has the Negative Post forward and toward the Engine, unlike the Group 24F (Ford) Battery sometimes bought in error.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You da Man Rich, helped me greatly on my 63 R2 Hawk last year.

Comment

My favorite is connecting an extra heavy cable to one of the starter bolts.

Comment

StudeRich is correct; Post #3.

Never put it under an exhaust manifold bolt. The expansion and contraction of that connection due to manifold heat will lead to a faulty or intermittent ground sooner or later. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yep, my '62 is on the upper left water manifold STUD, on top of the power steering pump bracket. Nut, lockwasher, batt cable, flat washer, steering pump bracket, flat washer, nut, flat washer, water manifold, gasket, head.

Comment

Working...
              X