PDA

View Full Version : Sealing soft plugs

dynolou2
01-18-2008, 12:58 AM
What is the best way to seal the dish type of soft plugs in my 62 Hawk? This is not a full flow engine. I have a cup style wire brush that goes on my 90 degree drillmotor, it cleans the seating surface well. Do I smear the back of the plug and the seating surface of the block? I have many of the cup style of plugs, several on a old girlfriends V-6 231gm, but not any of the dish style as found on my Hawk. Thanks for your help Lou Cote :)

StudeRich
01-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Mostly what you said Lou, the outer edge of the disc type core plug does the sealing, goop it also with #2 Permatex in the tube, at parts stores.

The most important part of the job is not the type of sealant, (people seem to be missing this point, so I highlighted it in RED!)it's getting them as flat as possible with a good seal driver or at least the right size socket, so that they are not concave or convex. That way they will be as tight as possible and seal just fine. I don't like doing this job more than once, so I only use brass ones.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA

Rerun
01-18-2008, 04:33 AM
I have had good luck with the copper/brass expansion plugs with the acorn nut. IIRC, they are made by Dorman. They are particularly handy when the engine is installed and there is no room to swing a hammer to properly set the disc type. Using #2 Permatex around the lip is a good idea, too.

Jim Bradley
Lewistown PA
'64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/bradley71771/Rerun.jpg

studegary
01-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Maybe I am just lucky, but I don't use anything on the core plugs and I don't believe that Studebaker used anything on them either (and many lasted for 40 years). I am not saying that it may not be a good idea, a belt and suspenders approach, to use some sealer, just that I don't.

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
Studebaker enthusiast much longer

JDP
01-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I too have never used any sealer.

JDP/Maryland
63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
spent to date $54664,75
64 R2 GT (Sid)
spent to date $62,839.60