PDA

View Full Version : VIN plate painted over

yoyoman
08-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Question is how can I remove the paint without damaging the VIN plate?
Someone else must have gone through this?
Any advise would be great.
Thanks
Rob
1960 Lark VIII Convertible.

spokejr
08-26-2017, 11:36 AM
The part that is most important is the imprint. I suspect a good paint remover should clean the stainless. The cleaner will not remove the critical part, the imprint. The art work the surrounds the imprint can be bought from several vendors.

unimogjohn
08-26-2017, 11:48 AM
I use "goof-off" paint remover. It is a lot softer on the metal than paint remover. It does require a bit of rubbing.

StudeRich
08-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Hi Rob good to see you here! :)

I don't actually know how you could only remove the Top Coat, I wonder if a quick smear and short soak with paint stripper might only take off the newer paint? :confused:

But at least as post #2 says, the "Important part" will be OK. The replacement Decals come from one of the Top Studebaker Vendors in Australia.

ed ellis
08-26-2017, 10:39 PM
I used to be in a business where the property was repeatedly covered with "unauthorized urban art" aka graffiti. As John recommends Goof-off was the best. Keep the paint on the serial number "VIN" plate moist with the product and that will reduce the rubbing required.

candbstudebakers
08-27-2017, 09:46 AM
I don't think you can save the decal work but just lacquer thinner on a rag should remove paint easy but tape around the edge of tag to protect the paint on the jam.