PDA

View Full Version : Engine: Sealer On Valve Cover Gasket?

jg61hawk
08-25-2017, 11:27 AM
The following is not correct as originally posted. Apparently S/I does still sell the neoprene ones. See my next post to explain. S/I no longer sells the neoprene valve cover gaskets so I'm getting the composite ones (cork I assume...just ordered). I never applied anything to the rubber neoprene ones in the past, and I'm going to adjust the valves (slight tap) so the covers are coming off. Wondering what you think...reuse to old ones of 10 years, use the cork clean and dry, or use the cork with some sealant?

I'm thinking new clean and dry...opinions please. Thanks.

Jim

swvalcon
08-25-2017, 11:53 AM
If you use sealer on cork just a very thin coat of high tack. Or dry.

WCP
08-25-2017, 12:03 PM
Re-use the old ones if they are neoprene and not cracked or separated. Before putting them back on, put a thin smear of Hylomar HPV on both surfaces after wiping those surfaces dry. This will guarantee a good seal and allow later removal without further damage. I've been doing this for years.

altair
08-25-2017, 02:33 PM
I am not a believer of any sealant if the head is clean and the cork is firm it will seal. There is almost no pressure inside the valve covers and it will not leak. However, if the engine is very tired with excessive blow-by, the valve covers may need a different form of management.

StudeRich
08-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Yes I would re-use the Neoprene Gaskets, seal them to the covers with Permatex RTV Black form-a-Gasket Silicone and install clean and dry to the Heads for easy Valve Adjustments in the future.

Wax & grease remover for Auto Paint work, or Brake Clean will remove dirt and Oil from the heads and head surface of Gaskets before installing.

jg61hawk
08-25-2017, 03:26 PM
S/I apparently does still sell the neoprene ones. I just got them. I ordered them, the next day they called me and said they didn't have them. I just got the order and here they are. Don't want to spread any rumors. Thanks.

StudeRich
08-25-2017, 03:59 PM
I believe there are still a few Sets of Neoprene left in the Stude. Vendor "System", but the last I heard I think they are all the '51 to early 1960 straight shape for 4 Hole Covers.

Unless someone other than FelPro remakes them, they are both NLA, GONE!

altair
08-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Just a further note, if the cork gaskets are fitted correctly into the notches they won't fall out and the cover nuts are not over torqued 2-2.5 ftlbs (24 inlbs), no leaks will occur, the manual says to repeat the torqueing process at least three times to maintain that maximum torque. Over torqueing will create additional problems.
Neoprene gaskets do not fit as snugly, as they are much thinner and may need a different approach.

tsenecal
08-25-2017, 06:09 PM
I was always told that you don't use any sealer on cork. It is supposed to absorb the fluid it is sealingand swell up for a tight fit. As previously mentioned, don't overtorque.

thunderations
08-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Don't forget to check the valve cover flange area to make sure it's not distorted from tightening the bolts over the years.

Skybolt
08-26-2017, 01:38 AM
Maybe I haven't bought a gasket set in a few years but the last one was from a FLAPS, and a FelPro set, and it had a 2 Neoprene valve cover sets. I have a few sets so haven't been looking for any lately.

I use a Neoprene gasket, if available, and attach it to the valve cover with a Silicone product and just make sure the gasket to head surface is spick and span, paint thinners is my friend. I reuse the gasket for many cycles and as long as the mating surfaces are clean all is good again.

ndynis
08-26-2017, 08:51 AM
Here is a post by Bezhawk that may still be an option:

sweetolbob
08-26-2017, 11:02 AM
I guess it's my SBC history but I use either spray tack or Permatex to attach the cork gaskets to the valve cover. Keeps 'em in place so they don't move when the covers are installed/bolted to the heads. Bob

altair
08-26-2017, 10:56 PM
If the cork gaskets are snapped in to the guides in the valve cover they can't move, no need to glue them there.